Beeing a geek ever bite ya hard??

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

I learned some time ago when people have problems with there computer I try to keep my mouth shut. Sounds mean. But generally speaking if they find out you are somewhat of a "geek" they expect you to trouble shoot there computer right there on the spot.  Or the ever fun....... come by and fix it for me real quick. I guess some people just think its a quick and easy thing to do and all that needs to be done is punch a few buttons and the computer is all better. So has admiting to someone your a "geek" ever bit you in the bottom??

I have never really been called a geek before because well i really dont look like one,  the stereotype of a geek,  but when i do open my big fat mouth, ppl are really suprised that i kno all this stuff about computers and then they come to me all  the time with there computer prblems

I have never really been called a geek before because well i really dont look like one,  the stereotype of a geek,  but when i do open my big fat mouth, ppl are really suprised that i kno all this stuff about computers and then they come to me all  the time with there computer prblems

umm you totally sound like me

holy crap man

that was like me talking except thats what you said

crazy

Guest PeePs

What exactly would a "geek" be defined as these days? I mean like 90% of teenage males play video games (my estimation  :D). Maybe its if you know how to set up your own wireless network, or maybe its if you build your own computers. The way I like to define it is if you play those *** *** RPG games like World of Warcraft  ;). HaHa!

I think I would consider myself a "cool geek" if there is such a thing.

ya i get called for trouble shooting 24/7, always answering simple questions.. And it always seems that whenever i have a problem, nobody else can help me.

I guess im a geek although i dont look like one.

I used to skateboard, i play guitar, workout and i like playing basketball and football. Im like a hybrid-geek lol. or cool geek as PeePs said.

Whats funny is, back in high school., the so called stereotypical geek would never really know alot about computers. They would just be socially challenged, wear glass's and possibly look awkward. Not to mention habits of reading, really bad communication skills, and doing other things that although arent bad, just not socially acceptable in highschool.

World cant run without geeks ^^ u people need us!

Guest helloimtim

I use the word geek because thats what most call those of us that know some about computers. I do get the most fun out of when I hear others talk about some of the crazy things they download.  Or my favorite is "my computer just gets super slow so I just restore it". Oh my.  :shock:  Of course their is allot I don't know. The advantages I have I guess is If I don't know how to fix it I can sure find the right information to fix it right. The worst I have ever seen was I was at a friends house. They have cable. The kid is playing on the net. He goes to surf to a new page and oh my goodness it was slower than dial up. That was one of the few times I just sat down at the computer and after a few hours of fixing and explaing to mom and dad what I was doing and why. They sure were pleased with the Incredible speeds they now have. They never realized the net could be so fast.......

. . .sometimes I think being a "cool geek" freak means you know way too much about everything, but not enough to write a best seller, yet!!

My problem is when I delve into something new or interesting it consumes me to no end. . .  :read:

. . .and the curse of "geekdom" (and search engines) is ~  there's way too much semi-information about alot of junkstuff to filter through and not enough precise info that's really helpful, interesting or new. . .thus, the quest never ends!

Sooo, I try to keep my month shut (most of the time) and just move about in my stealthy "ninja geek" mode, (anal`lisingoptimizing w/alot of trial and error) to make this world a better place . . .to play and have fun in ~ lol

Guest PeePs
Whats funny is, back in high school., the so called stereotypical geek would never really know alot about computers. They would just be socially challenged, wear glass's and possibly look awkward. Not to mention habits of reading, really bad communication skills, and doing other things that although arent bad, just not socially acceptable in highschool.

Thats so true. Like the geeks in my high school were actually kinda dumb i think, and didnt know all that much about computers. They played friggin D & D and ****, and that **** is 10 different kinds of nerdy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeks are basically "wannabe nerds, they r not genius but are just simply socially challenged, they never talk to anyone other than their fellow geeks,nerds are really smart and they know alot about well evrything,  nerds are going to go somewhere one day, geeks are hopeless http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geek  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nerd

I don't mind it much, since I love computers so much. I agree that people that know nothing about tcomputers think you can just do a couple of things and have it fixed in less than five minuters. What does bother me though, is that my friends/family are always downloading these freakin stupid toolbars and other junk, AOHELL included, that just clog up their computers. In my experiance, it's almost always the users fault. I wouldn't 100% blame them though, there's still a whole bunch of stuff I don't know.

I don't mind it much, since I love computers so much. I agree that people that know nothing about tcomputers think you can just do a couple of things and have it fixed in less than five minuters. What does bother me though, is that my friends/family are always downloading these freakin stupid toolbars and other junk, AOHELL included, that just clog up their computers. In my experiance, it's almost always the users fault. I wouldn't 100% blame them though, there's still a whole bunch of stuff I don't know.

very true

A short one. My stepdad used to be a comp. operator for a large steel mill in PA. He will take his comp. to a comp. shop, instead of calling me. He is about 20 years senior to me and I am still a dumb kid. I am 47.  :mrgreen:

Usually just needs cleaned up. And they do charge him, and he complains every time.  :haha:

Older does not always mean wiser.  :D

This one time at our weekly D&D convention, I was presenting my latest blueprint for the gigafied duplex reactor, when all of my writing utensils fell out of my pencil case and scattered across the floor.  As I bent over to gather them, my scientific graphing calculator escaped from my shirt pocket, smashing me in the face, and destroying my glasses!  If that wasn't bad enough, my suspenders spontaneously combusted, and I ran out of the room, right into the shower in the locker room to extinguish the flames.  Turns out, the rugby team was just finishing practice.  3 hours later when I finally unhooked my underpants from the uprights on the playing field, I went home and relaxed by playing Legend of the Green Dragon for 14 hours straight.

"If that wasn't bad enough, my suspenders spontaneously combusted" I read it three times, and I am not sure how that happened?  ;)

It was probably due to the stratified matrix of petroleum-based fibers I had been experimenting with.  I was attempting to eliminate chafing against my hyper-sensitive epidermis, while retaining maximum flexibility and strength in suspending my trousers. 

Mlahoiven.