Progress Bar for Uploads

Would be very nice if there could be a progress bar for uploads like the one for downloads. I am on Direcway and uploads are always pretty slow so you have to just set and wait with no feed back as to how things are doing.

This is a really great site, I sure appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks DonHall

Welcome to the site and thanks for the nice words, tell your friends about the site it is a word of mouth site.  As for the progress bar I dont know if it is possible since your sending the info to the site, ahhh hell Im sure CA3LE can lets wait and see. :D

Would be very nice if there could be a progress bar for uploads like the one for downloads. I am on DirecWay and uploads are always pretty slow so you have to just set and wait with no feed back as to how things are doing.

Thanks DonHall

I think a upload bar would be good too.

One way to check if anything is happening if you have win XP, open the task manager (Ctrl +Alt +Del) then click on the networking tab. That way you at least know that the test is working even if you don't know how much done it is.

Or you can go into your network adapter settings, click show icon, and whenever the lights are blue, thats when your internet is in use :D

That's true too. But the advantage to using task manager is that you can see what percentage of your connection you are currently using.

It can even help sometimes. One example I have is  whenever I do the upload test in IE vs. Firefox, I noticed that FF had a steadier connection. IE kept going up and down, which is probably why IE is slower.

Would be very nice if there could be a progress bar for uploads like the one for downloads. I am on DirecWay and uploads are always pretty slow so you have to just set and wait with no feed back as to how things are doing.

Thanks DonHall

I can't do this without a java applet or activeX -- two things I am against using, I have thought forwards and backwards and can't think of any other way to code that :-/  -- maybe one day I will figure it out, but as far as I know it's impossible without client-side bullcrap.

I can't do this without a java applet or activeX -- two things I am against using, I have thought forwards and backwards and can't think of any other way to code that :-/  -- maybe one day I will figure it out, but as far as I know it's impossible without client-side bullcrap.

Can't you just look at the amount of data being received by your server from the computer ID after the upload test has begun? Or is that also impossible?

Can't you just look at the amount of data being received by your server from the computer ID after the upload test has begun? Or is that also impossible?

Sounds easy... but to do this live with only PHP on my side... without users having to open themselves up to a security hole, isn't possible as far as I can understand.  The download progress bar is easy, it simply splits the data into chunks, hides the downloaded data and places a | between the chunks.  Upload bar is a bitch, trust me I spent hours tring to figure this out :-P

from what you describe in the faq about your ul method, you submit data to a form.

format the data that is submitted into chunks like the upload, either by submitting chunks or by putting a linefeed character, not an actual one, i mean, just a series of chars your form would be able to filter, and monitor the filling of the form in realtime.

then each time one of the linefeeds hits, you advance the bar one. that way all the monitoring runs on your end, nothing client side, and if it isn't 100%accurate, well, some indication of progress is better than none. and for all those looking for some feedback at all, i noticed that the progress bar for loading the page in ie6 gives at least feedback on wether the thing is still uling or not.