Wal-Mart to sell build-your-own computers

ROM-DOS

Reuters reports that Wal-Mart is preparing to put "build your own computer counters" in 1200 of its 3200 stores, with plans to do so in at least 1400 by the end of the year.

This could prove to be pretty interesting, I wonder if the're going to color code matching components?

{My real hope is, prices should come down on a lot hardware.}

Maybe everyone will take up building their own computers as a hobby, not just to have some extra PC's around the home, but to hand them out as gifts on a key chain ~ like I do!

changed link to point to our news article

rom, what are the specs on that thing?

The Shimafuji SEMC5701 board is powered by a MIPS-based SoC from NEC, and is best known for its use in the wall-wart-sized Teacube, T-Cube, or Tangerine Cube from Personal Media Corp.

Shimafuji's SEMC5701 measures just 2.05 x 2.05 x 1.77 inches (52 x 52 x 48mm). It is based on an NEC Vr5701, clocked at 266MHz or 333MHz. It includes 16MB of Flash, along with 64MB of RAM. I/O interfaces include 10/100 Ethernet, USB, CompactFlash, AC97 audio, and a D-sub 9 RS-232 serial port. The board also offers a D-sub 15 video port, and supports VGA (640 x 480), XGA (800 x 600), and SXGA (1024 x 768) resolutions. It includes an RV5C348B real-time clock. The board accepts 5V DC input, and operates at 0 to 35 degrees Celsius.

Here's a reference list of small systems that can serve as ready-made platforms for prototyping applications, or as the basis of application-specific Linux-based systems and devices.

here's some updates on what's going on w/cheaper PC's.

Details on YellowSheepRiver's $150 Municator

"the Municator features a 400 or 800mhz 64-bit Godson-2 CPU, 40GB drive, 256MB of RAM, four USB 2.0 ports, IrDA, S-video, VGA, Ethernet, PS/2, and runs a Linux variant called Thinix OS."

http://www.yellowsheepriver.org/

An update on AMD's Windows CE powered PIC

Walmart is ok for some things. But build your own comp. parts. What kind of quality could they sell for less.

And the other problem is that they seldom have an extended warranty. Why, so they can sell them for less. And try to find a knowledge staff. You want a what processor? Capable of what? And it has to fit a what? Nah, I will pass.  :laughing7:

Reuters reports that Wal-Mart is preparing to put "build your own computer counters" in 1200 of its 3200 stores, with plans to do so in at least 1400 by the end of the year.

This could prove to be pretty interesting, I wonder if the're going to color code matching components?

{My real hope is, prices should come down on a lot hardware.}

Maybe everyone will take up building their own computers as a hobby, not just to have some extra PC's around the home, but to hand them out as gifts on a key chain ~ like I do!

changed link to point to our news article

I think its a great idea for walmart to do so..people on limited incomes..that dont want to buy an intigrated computer might be able to do so now...

Wal Mart must be stopped.They're getting into every-friggin-thing. Their own banks too. What's next? We'll all end up working for them. If they get their hands too far into the computer world, they'll put every pc shop out of business. They'll low ball the prices so bad, no one will be able to compete and survive. I f---in hate Wal Mart, if you didn't notice.

I think Wal-Mart will continue getting into everything until they are stopped similar to the way they put the brakes on Microsoft. But that said, I am not rich and if they sell the same parts that I usually buy for less I would have to buy it from them!

while many people rail against wally world much as they rail against any other large company, look at the bright side.

wal-mart gives a lot of poor people a way to stretch their budget a little better than with regular supermarkets. the only reason i personally don't go there much is because i prefer shopping at costco for the basics because they are even cheaper.

Wal Mart must be stopped.They're getting into every-friggin-thing. Their own banks too. What's next? We'll all end up working for them. If they get their hands too far into the computer world, they'll put every pc shop out of business. They'll low ball the prices so bad, no one will be able to compete and survive. I f---in hate Wal Mart, if you didn't notice.

My Wal-Mart already has a bank in it.  It is a branch of my downtown

bank.  Wally says they only want in banking to process credit cards.

Oh Yeah I believe that. NOT!!!

As I understand it you will pick your stuff and they will assemble it

on the spot.  Probably be HP c**p like they sell now.  I don't believe

I want one.

Ole man Walton must be turning over in his grave as nearly every-

thing in the store is Made in China.  Seems like I read somewhere

that they are building the worlds largest warehouse in China. 

well basically you can buy anything for PC except for motherboards and CPU

but on my local Wal-Mart you can buy video, sound card, DVD burners HD, power supply to name a few on  my next visit I will try to make a more complete list on what they have w/ brand and price

Look on the bright side, example your video card goes bad at 3:00am you just go to Wal_mart and get a replacement for about $60-$70 and keep on trucking

From Inside Wal-Mart

"Wal-Mart's new build your own computer modular isn't exactly build your own computer. It's simply choose from models with XXram, XXhd, XXoptical, etc etc. So far the modular consists of Cases, monitors, mice, keyboards, and speakers. The prices are very high for the systems they are offering, starting at around $900, going up to $1200. From what my store manager tells me, Wal-Mart Inc. has no plans to hire anyone that knows this line of products well enough to ensure customers are well informed. WMI also has no intentions to train any of the current staff because they would lose money in the long run."

Think about it, the guy would not be buying from WM if he knew how-to put the damn thing together , hell most likely sitting at the kitchen table cussin his kids as he dropps the HDD, when he finally fires it up, oops no thermal grease on the CPU as it looked like it may get messy. The average man will not read the instructions.  Perfect double sale on the cpu :haha: :haha: