Anyone in Manhattan/NYC with fios? Please tell us!

WoKeN

I live in the Washington DC metro area and got FiOS installed in late April.  The two technicians who installed it said they were down from NYC.  Apparently, there is a tremendous shortage of FiOS installers here in the DC-metro area, so they asked for volunteers from the NYC area to come down here for a two-month stint.  They also said that they were going to roll FiOS out in the NYC area in the mid-to-late summer timeframe.  The technicians who were down here were getting trained on how to do it so they would be ready up there.

If you decide to get business FIOS for the static IPs, there are two things to be aware of:

1.  A week or two after my installation, I found out that Verizon offers a D-Link DI-624 for their home service, and an Adtran 2405 (or 2600?) router for their business service.  I ordered business service and they gave me a DI-624 (and billed me $65).  It took me a few days beating my head against the wall trying to get it working before I got in touch with the right tech support person who told me I needed an Adtran router.  They offered the Adtran 2405 for $300, and the 2600(?) for $700, I think.  I got the 2405.

2.  They say you need an Adtran router, but they (Verizon) configure it VERY strangely.  They alias all of your static IPs on the WAN interface, and then set up a 10.10.10.X private network on the LAN side.  Then, they map each of your static IP addresses to a corresponding private address.  For example, if you have static IP addresses 1.2.3.24 through 1.2.3.30, they will map them to 10.10.10.24 through 10.10.10.30.  They then tell the Adtran to send all traffic on all ports to the corresponding IP address. Essentially, they turn the Adtran router into a switch!  There's no firewall capability whatsoever.  Personally, I prefer to have a firewall sitting between the internet and my LAN.  The LAN machines are semi-trusted, and the WAN (internet) is totally untrusted.  The firewall should list specific specific ports that internet traffic can hit on my private LAN.  They way Verizon sets it up, each machine with a static IP address is 100% responsibile for locking down each and every port.

If you are behind a true firewall or router, you're semi-safe if you put a newly-installed Windows XP machine (pre-SP2) onto your LAN while you download all the patches.  With the Verizon set up, if you configure a static IP address on that Windows machine and try to download patches, it will be SO infected before the patches are done downloading that I wouldn't trust it on the LAN side.

I'd love to get the speed, but their business FiOS setup is not acceptable for me.  I'm cancelling it tomorrow.

• 9 months later...

Currently FiOS is being deployed in Midtown Manhattan, parts of downtown, the lower east side and the Upper East Side. My best advice to anyone who wants fios is to contact your property manager and request that they contact Verizon about bringing the fiber optics to your building. They should be able to find when it will be available at your building.

• 1 year later...

Yep here are the results:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 19613 Kbps about 19.6 Mbps (tested with 102391 kB)

Download Speed is:: 2394 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/08/14 - 12:55am

Bottom Line:: 342X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.43 sec

Tested from a 102391 kB file and took 42.767 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 242.53 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QVO7USL1N

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 [!]

• 2 months later...

I got FiOS up here in Peekskill (~35/45m North) several months ago.  I will never have anything else.

share2-H4G7FAMCJ

Tip #1: To get around the 1 or 2 year contract, go through www.whitefence.com.  I got my 20/20 connection for $64.99, no setup, and no contract. 

Tip #2: Dump the 2.4 Ghz "G" router they give you (anyone want mine?) and install your own.  I am running the dual-radio wrt600n, only at 5Ghz to get up and away from all of the 2.4 Ghz traffic - directly connected to the CAT5 cable!  The trick is to copy the MAC address from the router they give you, into your own router (setting a new MAC address that matches your old router).