C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL, was not found

FaT_PHiL

Well, i let my brother go on the comp when i was sleeping and when i woke up all mayhem was going on.

There was no internet connection, which i fixed by replugging in my coaxil to the wall several times, but the main problem is this.

A required .DLL file, C:WINDOWSSYSTEMOLEAUT32.DLL, was not found.

I get this whenever i try opening pretty much any program. My brother also said he tried to open the dll file with internet explorer. Not sure about XP but in win98 when you open a file that says "open with" it stays with that designated program. I tried looking for the DLL file under File types to see if i can change it but its not there.

I really dont feel like reformatting which seems like my only option at the moment.

I tried doing a search on it, but all that came up was having to put in a 98 cd and copying the file and my 98 cd is dmged so i cant do that. I dont think i ever saw this dll file, so i was wondering if its really part of the system or its from some sort of spyware that is making it need it.

Anyone have any ideas that can help, would be much apprieciated

~HeLLFiRe

EDIT:

I kinda jumped the gun thinking this would be such a serious problem. But i always like coming here when i need computer help cause i know ill get quality answers.

The way i fixed it was searching for the OLEAUT32.DLL. Deleting all 4 instances of it. Deleting the OL B folder from Common FilesSystem. I also deleted several other folders but i dont think they were related. Then i went to dll-files.com and downloaded oleaut32.dll from them and placed it in my C:windowssystem folder.

*Note: i was not able to run Winzip so when downloaded a zipped dll file from that site, i was able to use Winrar.

Hopefully if anyone else ever has this problem this will help them solve it.

FaT_PHiL ;Try this it might replace oleaut32.dll into your system files with the original.

First you need to go to windowsoptionsInstall thats in windows me it may be a little different in 98.like Install or Cabs but it will have your original setup in it.There will be several cab files.In windows ME oleaut32.dll is located in win_14.cab.You need to locate the .cab file it is in.

Then use your startup disk to go to dos.At the A:> type C: then enter then at the C:> type

cdwindowsoption|install then enter that would be in windows  me but use the location of the cab files in 98 the same way .My prompt now looks like thisC: windowsoption|install>

there type Extract win_14.cab oleaut32.dll  enter copy oleaut32.dll C:windowssystem enter

This is the example with windows me you just need to put in the location in 98.This will give you the same oleaut32.dll you would have if you reformatted.