dagger

Desktop Screenshots

1,370 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

I'd find it normal if you were a KDE fan being a gamer, eye candy and all, yet not so normal to put up with the instability. So, LXDE oe XFCE ?

XFCE I keep coming back to because it's stable and has a lot of options to minimize it while getting what you want out of it. LXDE is really nice but also a pain in the ass. It's very modular when it comes to the window manager, though... I say a pain mostly because I've had issues with the menus. Like it would be calling to a menu that is hidden somewhere way out of character while I'm trying to update the menu with the default menu file. It's very UNstable in that respect. It also hates compiz lol. I like to use compiz for the vsync and window movement options. Like the F11 for universal fullscreen or dragging to the left halfs the window or dragging to the top fullscreens it. I like that. I hate compiz as a standalone window manager but I like it with it's sister "Emerald". Very nice. 

Am I like the only person in the world who finds KDE an ugly mess of crap? Forget how much RAM the fatty consumes at friggin' idle, like no matter the theme you use it always has that gleam an ugly duckling couldn't shake. NO matter how much make-up it puts on, I couldn't look at it in a positive light. lol...

I also come back to MATE a lot. I wish the people who forked gnome 2 would just fix all the issues gnome 2 had, like the way it's annoying to customize, the specifics you need to acquire to customize your menu button icon, ect. I can't help but love the multiple menu'd classic gnome menu! MMCGM is what I call it! lolol...

I really like Waylands outlook on the whole vblank issues in x11. So I have been keeping an eye on the up and coming Desktop Environments that use it natively. Hawaii DE is really ugly to me but I wouldn't mind messing with the source to suit me if it succeeds properly.

In the end--in true Linux-user fashion--I hate all desktop environments. They are all shit and screw up somewhere. Customization, the output it uses, the menus, the resources it hogs, the file manager it forces you to use unless you want to deal with update panics WHEN WE ALL KNOW NAUTILUS IS SHIT AND NEMO WOULD REPLACE IT JUST FINE YOU STUPID DEVELOPERS. *ahem* So I just fuck with them all and try not to think about it because then this rant replays over and over in my head. 

No, I do enjoy one to a certain degree. That is MATE in Linux Mint. They do it right and the specific fixes and usability patches actually help it a lot. The only problem is that I cannot stand to be on an outdated Debian based distro to even bother. 

I did for a while run Sid that registered as Linux Mint Debian. Which was cool but in the end was more annoying than using Sid alone. Plus Sid has the worst repository I have ever even attempted to use in my life. Debian Ports are always broken too. 

Wait, this was supposed to be over...

Sorry.

/Rant

Edited by ybnrmalatall

Good to see someone other than myself ranting for once, please post more often, for my benefit :icon_thumleft:

Sounds as if you've not seen much of KDE5 , looks nothing like KDE4 and more 'like' a windows box. Still, unstable as any other version.

Myself I'm just getting back into the Linux GUI, I do have a couple boxes here that other family members use, running Debian gnome (for easing them away from windows), so I'm not completely out of it. They're used as daily machines, homework, ect.. and I have no complaints out of them.

Right now I'm on 'Jessie' / gnome with not as much of an obvious glitch. I'll stay right here for a minute. Though gnome does have that fifth grader style 'feel', I can dig it since it comes with a functioning platform.

Overall I prefer openbox instead of a full blown desktop.

I haven't thought about setting a background yet in Windows 10, but here's what I had in Windows 7:

5671f50d75bb2_SeanWindows7desktop.thumb.

I had a hanging peanut feeder attached to the garden bench, so with birds intermittently landing on top of its seat waiting their turn, I thought I'll try snapping a few pictures of the various birds.  It seems like this Chaffinch spotted my DSLR lens aimed out the window... :huh:

This was taken near sunset in the springtime which gave the warm colour.

mudmanc4 likes this

On 12/16/2015 at 6:53 AM, mudmanc4 said:

Good to see someone other than myself ranting for once, please post more often, for my benefit :icon_thumleft:

Sounds as if you've not seen much of KDE5 , looks nothing like KDE4 and more 'like' a windows box. Still, unstable as any other version.

Myself I'm just getting back into the Linux GUI, I do have a couple boxes here that other family members use, running Debian gnome (for easing them away from windows), so I'm not completely out of it. They're used as daily machines, homework, ect.. and I have no complaints out of them.

Right now I'm on 'Jessie' / gnome with not as much of an obvious glitch. I'll stay right here for a minute. Though gnome does have that fifth grader style 'feel', I can dig it since it comes with a functioning platform.

Overall I prefer openbox instead of a full blown desktop.

KDE5 isn't 5 but just "plasma 5", right? I really don't see much of a difference... It still has that overuse of shadows, the popped out, plastic cheap look brought on by the what looks like an almost-transparent film over every panel. Goes for almost every custom theme too because they like that cheap look I guess. Windows 7 at stock was gross too but at least 10 is flat and minimal-ish. I'm still traumatized by the minimize/expand/close button stigma 7 and I guess vista were stuck with. Made it hell for people use wanted to use a custom "basic" theme without aero, since it would stick you with the blue title bar, gross buttons and were unchangeable. lol

How horribly unstable the DE is, it's a wonder people make flavors for their distros based on it. Some even use it as stock.

If you want that "Debian" feel and would like to kill a shit ton of ram, just install Mate... It lets you do more and it's still gnome.

If you are up for it the Debian wiki even shows you how to purge Gnome properly https://wiki.debian.org/Mate ahahahahaha

If you use Gnome extras a lot, install the extras package of MATE. Trust me it's better. I just noticed the pattern.

If you

If you

If you... lol

Edited by ybnrmalatall
mudmanc4 likes this

About to take your advice and torch gnome for mate (no interest in performing the tasks I should be atm) :ph34r:

Mind you I'm coming from OSX, so this whole thing is a bit, well, painful and disorienting to say the least.

On 12/17/2015 at 1:10 PM, mudmanc4 said:

Mate = Not so much

Something very circa 1990 about that whole thing.

Then just slap a theme on it. Gnomelook has them. It's gtk2 so it looks like anything gtk2. 

On 12/17/2015 at 11:35 AM, mudmanc4 said:

Ok, on the plasma / KDE thing I stand corrected.

What about this bothers you? Just curious if were on the same page.

Kde-beautiful-desktop.jpg

The flat doesn't bother me. What does is the panel being so huge especially when the task selector in the old style, non-stacking with text. A task selector like that only warrants at 23 pixel panel for me. The KDE menu is just gross. I also dislike the "IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THIS IS YOUR DESKTOP, desktop tab. lol. Along with the thing that makes the panel look like a cardboard cutout on the way right. On top of all that it looks like it has a not-fully transparent film over everything.

I like the back and fourth arrows in the file manager? lol

Although I could never bring myself to like Dolphin ever. 

On top of everything said, I dislike qt too. :P

I just noticed it was Kubuntu, is that Kubuntu's stock look?

Edited by ybnrmalatall

22 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

@ybnrmalatall Just a screenshot I grabbed from the nether regions.  I believe OpenSuse is a bit different from this, even updated a bit.

Desktop environments never really change how they look. It's the skin the repos stick on it. I assumed Kubuntu would look a little more like Lubuntu in style but whoah it's gross. 

oh my gosh reading through this topic was hilarious! Dagger, microwave, justinOhioRR, Cobra, Reno ...that was fun reading. 

mudmanc4 likes this

The background of my iPad is of a plane that I worked on in the USAF from 1970-1972. The F-105 fighter bombers were used in the Vietnam War. They were all retired to national guards shortly after that was over. A few years later they were retired completely. This one , tail number 383, sits in the "Boneyard" at Davis Montham Air Force Base, where a lot of them are. A few lead better lives at museums. 

image.jpg

mudmanc4 likes this

Nice. Those were a good plane. They used to come in and out of the base I was at. Later, as an engineer, I worked on the electronic engine control which went into the F-5G version later renamed the F20 Tigershark. Many pilots trained in that T-38.

coknuck likes this

After years of a black or white desktop, I've finally gone and done it. So here it is. Look quick, tomorrow is another day, so it could be as Amy Winehouse said, back to black. 

cheatsheet-desktop4.thumb.png.d271c7d55d

As cable said “these threads always get hella populated... everyone loves to show off :D

Yeah I have 2,  desk  monitors the 2nd for various crap posts from www forums I usually ignore ,until a Brit gets an mention ,dear Amy had a dream to, far and paid the price

Indeed muddy find your own heroine , maybe for desk top try Hilary Clinton or for a joker wild card Trump

p.s my vote goes to Putin , lest he can take his shirt of and ride a stallion ,maybe if Hillary did the same Europe  might take some

interest, only joshing

still trying to find my way out of TMN  , so far > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puHoadtIivc

best regards all from a Channel islander , indeed TMN is Number 1 for  speed Tests

Regards

Roco …. sort of UK   temp resident ,                                   

On 3/1/2016 at 5:59 PM, Roco said:

As cable said “these threads always get hella populated... everyone loves to show off :D

Yeah I have 2,  desk  monitors the 2nd for various crap posts from www forums I usually ignore ,until a Brit gets an mention ,dear Amy had a dream to, far and paid the price

Indeed muddy find your own heroine , maybe for desk top try Hilary Clinton or for a joker wild card Trump

p.s my vote goes to Putin , lest he can take his shirt of and ride a stallion ,maybe if Hillary did the same Europe  might take some

interest, only joshing

still trying to find my way out of TMN  , so far > [...]

best regards all from a Channel islander , indeed TMN is Number 1 for  speed Tests

Regards

Roco …. sort of UK   temp resident ,                                   

Amy Winehouse was / is awesome.

Yeah, dear AMY  an old ball , saw her early death on the horizon , and changed my ways

Not my music , I prefer to laugh at life, so far doing OK  with the stand up comedians

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCMWIBhKvi8

indeed my life today …..thankfully