StarBand NOVA

WebUser

• 2 weeks later...

Been on it for several days now, seems to be fine.  More stable than the 360 was.

Can't do a speed test on this site though.  I've tried several times and the screen changes to 'forwarding you to a bigger test' a few times and freezes, won't do anything else.

Tests on other sites run fine and are steady in the 490 down, 90 up range, sometimes a little better.

Connects straight to the WAN port of any router for full networking.

• 3 weeks later...

I can use both of my connections a Pro and Ultimate on this site.  When you do the test, do the "test your download speed" Not the test both.  On the download test use the "larger" file size.  Do the same for the upload but use the medium file size.  If you are running a web accelerator, you will need to disable it while you are testing.

I get, on the Pro plan, around a 550 - 650 download with between 98 - 120 up.

On my Ultimate it is usually about 1250 (only one time have I saw it lower than 1250) and the upload ranging from 240 to 260.

StarBand is marketing more for toward the high-end home office/small business users and not as much for the residential customers.  The lowes rate plan you can get with the new Nova series 1000's will be $69/mo with 24/mo contract ($10 higher per month for the 12 month contracts)

I got in a few days before the cutoff, so I got the Pro locked in for 2 years at $49/mo; not sure what will happen after that.

Wasn't even going to do that, but they dropped the $39 plan and were going to kick me up to $49 on the old 360 modem with no networking, so I decided to try it.

• 2 years later...

If StarBand, with whatever name on the end, is all the same satellite and equipment, they upgraded to better satellites late last year and are now doing a push into parts of Canada. http://www.bigskysat.com/ .KU band and they are actually putting to print expected speeds for primetime in their Faq's section.

Nova is just the type of modem they're using now. Unfortunately they just did a deal with the devil Google. Still waiting to see what that's all about.

Would that be Gmail?

Some ISP's are taking the easy way out of in house email and shunting it all off to Gmail(sometimes still with the ISP's email @domain name).

Xplornet in Canada did that(Google App as they call it). And users had to change from a .com , to a .ca domain, but still with the ISP's name before it. Xplornet had TuCows(OpenSRS) for a while(after their own server), until Tucows had a server issue(cluster A) a few times, that was finally traced to a hardware issue, instead of the suspected software issue. People don't like to have their email interrupted for any amount of time.

People don't like to have their email interrupted for any amount of time.

I don't like Google having access to anything I do beyond basic web searches. Too bad Yahoo trashed their search system or I'd go back there as a default.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard any more about upgrading the 360/480 modems for the new Nova's? Starband's website said an upgrade policy would be issued on Dec. 17th, but I haven't seen anything on their website and have waited on hold for forever on their 800 number trying to ask some one.