Reply from 74.54.226.166: bytes=32 time=596ms TTL=51

Reply from 74.54.226.166: bytes=32 time=743ms TTL=51

Reply from 74.54.226.166: bytes=32 time=887ms TTL=51

Reply from 74.54.226.166: bytes=32 time=1053ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 74.54.226.166:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 596ms, Maximum = 1053ms, Average = 819ms

These ping times are(sadly) why if somebody ask me which satellite provider to use I tell them to go with Hughesnet. Wildblue used to put those ping times to shame until they implemented their traffic shaping technology at the end of 06 I think. Now I do good if I can get a ping to go as low as 1053ms.

• 3 months later...

Who has issues with WB every day between 4-11 pm cst? Or is it just our beam here where I live that has issues?

I need to know what options as a consumer has in dealing absolutely degraded service for more than 8 hours per day with no hope in sight that they fix it and stop selling in my beam.

This is an over sell problem and a lack of providing contractual services.

Help anyone with an answer.

You aren't the only one I think everyone with Wild Blue is getting swindled, I have the Pro Pack, advertised speed is 1500kbps or 1.5mbps or 150kbs. Upload is supposed to be 256kbps. Here's what I get. :::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 486 Kbps about 0.49 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)

Download Speed is:: 59 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 134 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 16 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2010-04-19 02:38:01 GMT

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8YW16BIUG

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Q5KZ467BL

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1045 Safari/532.5 [!]

Join the club, they just tell you it is clouds or some such thing. Don't think there is much any of us can do. Mine is doing better but for a long time it was running under dialup speed most of the day. As it says UP TO such and such a speed they can get away with this as at times ( a min. or 2 a day) the speed does go up.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I live in Okla. and have been fighting with tech support for about a year and a half now, for the last month they have done something which I call a smoke screen, all of a sudden my speeds which were usually around 500 to 700 kbps jumped to 1000 to 1500kbps but no change in the actual physical speed on the net, pages taking forever to load, or timing out and video out of the question, wonder what kind of hanky panky crap they are trying to feed me now? I am paying for the Pro Pack and getting basic start pack speeds. It's funny I came to test my and checked my speed and it would show around 1000kbps then go to download a file and have it time out on me, showing that it was only downloading at 25kbs something smells wrong with this deal. I would watch when I start a download and it might start out around 250kps then drop on down to so slow that it would disconnect, seems it does no good to go to the BBB because WB is no longer a member of it when they left they had a score with the BBB of D. and that's right at the bottom. They stopped selling subscriptions on my beam and I thought good now my speed will go up, WRONG they only quit selling for a couple weeks (maybe had someone suing them) and it made no difference at all in the speeds(at least it said on the WB website they had stopped) Just thought I would throw my two cents worth in. DC

Hi, I live in Okla. and have been fighting with tech support for about a year and a half now, for the last month they have done something which I call a smoke screen, all of a sudden my speeds which were usually around 500 to 700 kbps jumped to 1000 to 1500kbps but no change in the actual physical speed on the net, pages taking forever to load, or timing out and video out of the question, wonder what kind of hanky panky crap they are trying to feed me now? I am paying for the Pro Pack and getting basic start pack speeds. It's funny I came to test my and checked my speed and it would show around 1000kbps then go to download a file and have it time out on me, showing that it was only downloading at 25kbs something smells wrong with this deal. I would watch when I start a download and it might start out around 250kps then drop on down to so slow that it would disconnect, seems it does no good to go to the BBB because WB is no longer a member of it when they left they had a score with the BBB of D. and that's right at the bottom. They stopped selling subscriptions on my beam and I thought good now my speed will go up, WRONG they only quit selling for a couple weeks (maybe had someone suing them) and it made no difference at all in the speeds(at least it said on the WB website they had stopped) Just thought I would throw my two cents worth in. DC

I've heard allot of people complain about Wildblue and Direcway. Satellite really isn't the best way to serve an internet connection. The problem is when you factor the distances involved that the data has to travel to get to you. I believe that their satellites are in a geosynchronous orbit or geostationary orbit... so that information travels 22,300 (to 22,500) miles to get to you... then factor in that there is a round-trip for uploading data. Now the Earth's circumference is about 24902 miles... so your information basically has to go around the earth! Your information travels at 186,000 miles per second (the speed of light)... that's fast, but it does add a significant delay to the transaction when you factor in the sheer distances involved.

So.... let's see here...

186,000 miles per second is 670616629 mph

I think the right math is (((670616629 / 22300) / 60) / 60 )) = 8.35 seconds ... damn, is that really correct?!

Start over...

time = distance/rate

(36210240 meters / (3.00E8) meters/sec) = 0.1207008 seconds

OKAY, I'm absolutely positive about that. I didn't graduate highschool, but I am insane... :evil6:

Anyways, adding 121ms each direction, effectively 240ms... and that's given 100% perfect conditions (which never happens)... also, before it gets to the satellite it has to go through your provider first... that's even more distance traveled (can be over 10,000 more miles depending where the server is). ... it's totally not the right way to serve that kind of communication (IMO). But then again, most people that have satellite don't have any other better choices... sorry dude. You have to at least admit that it is better than dial-up :rolleyes:

I have heard of many people getting more out of their satellite connections... search around the site. I hope you find what you need. And if you do figure out a solution please post it here (even if it's already been posted, little differences in your scenario may help people find the information easier when they search), other people who are in your shoes in the future will appreciate it. Good luck.

- CA3LE

• 2 months later...