VPN, DW6000, HNS7000S ???

amkazen

HI, I would like to determine the best path forward to attempt using VPN on HughesNet, or if I should go to Wild Blue, or even go to a wireless Internet Service (http://www.7cities.net/html_folder/wireless.html).  The latter 3 services are the only choices I have given where I live, and I have at least one neighbor using each of the above systems.

I do plan on trying Wild Blue and the Wireless service in the next week or so, but I also would like to try HughesNet.

I have a DW6000 modem.  The company I work for requires the use of a Cryptocard and VPN to access my office desktop from my house, or even to just gain access to the companies servies and not my office desktop.  The only thing I can do right now is log into my company email with the cryptocard.  I have tried the VPN access and it failed.

I spoke with HughesNet and was told the following:

1.  I need to upgrade from the DW6000 to the HN7000S modem

2.  I need to upgrade my plan from the residential consumer plan of $62.99 per month to the residental professional plus plan for $89.95 per month, which includes a static IP address.

3.  I was also told I could go to the business / small home office plan for $109.95 which includes 5 static IP addresses, and I would have to get the larger dish (.98 m & 2 W radio ?) and the HN7000S modem.

I would say 99% of my computer use is browsing, email, and paying bills.  However, with gas prices climbing, I am seriously beginning to consider asking my company to let me work for home.  However, I need to know I can do that reliably before asking.

Thanks for letting me know if VPN will work with the DW6000 or if I need to upgrade, etc.

amkazen

Tommie is only half right about the wireless in your case. I believe for VPN you will need a Static IP and I only know about Hughes offering it with the choices you have.

As for you needing to upgrade to the HN7000S modem they are trying to get you to commit with a contract, any used system with the 7000 series modem will worl as long as it is clear (no money owed Hughes).

If you know how to set up the 2-way sat you can get help through Montana Satellite otherwise you will need to hire Hughes installer, not the same as a TV dish.

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.  I am not too keen on going to the wireless service as I have better Internet connections than my neighbors do.  Also, they intermittently do not have any service for days and the provider never seems to have an answer.  I am fairly pleased with Hughesnet for my purposes.  But, I think from your answers and doing more reading on the Net about VPN and satellite, it is a no go.  Thanks again.

Hi,

I am fairly pleased with Hughesnet for my purposes.  But, I think from your answers and doing more reading on the Net about VPN and satellite, it is a no go.  Thanks again.

Here is more information on the VPN and static IP. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13545

I don't know if you have done any research here but there are very knowledgeable people here the have been with 2-way since existence and there are some installers that post also. Be sure to sign up (also free ) since answers come more frequent if known your serious.