• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

hey guys, i cant seem to access portal.smartbro.net...
anyone knows why??

also i found a tweak that might help. found it in pcx forum, and the guy that posted in pcx, found it at puzo forum.

Windows XP uses 20% of your bandwidth !

Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
Works on XP Pro and 2000.

Topic taken from PUZO forums, but I thought it was worth the post so here ya go. Oh BTW, this gpedit.msc is another great way to tweak pc without having to use outside tools. But be careful and read the information bars before you make any changes.

#2 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

hey guys, after i finished typing this message, i can now access portal.smartbro.net.. wow.. ..but why does it take a long time to access this site? also, my package is now WR512. wow. but the expiry date is on february 4, 2008. why will it expire on february 4??

#3 stingingsilver

stingingsilver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

can

hey guys, i cant seem to access portal.smartbro.net...
anyone knows why??

also i found a tweak that might help. found it in pcx forum, and the guy that posted in pcx, found it at puzo forum.

Windows XP uses 20% of your bandwidth !

Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
Works on XP Pro and 2000.

Topic taken from PUZO forums, but I thought it was worth the post so here ya go. Oh BTW, this gpedit.msc is another great way to tweak pc without having to use outside tools. But be careful and read the information bars before you make any changes.

can someone pls confirm this? anyone? thank you

@kerby_kerby
it won't expire dude, as long as you pay your smartbro bills on time, that is.

#4 fr0stbound

fr0stbound

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

yep, that works. i've been using that for quite some time now, he just beat to me to posting it. i think that expiry date tells you the time period covered by your monthly bill.

#5 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

yep, that works. i've been using that for quite some time now, he just beat to me to posting it. i think that expiry date tells you the time period covered by your monthly bill.

ah. i see. thanks. will it go back to SMBRO?? or will it stay with WR512?

#6 coolbuster2007

coolbuster2007

TMN Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

@ kerby_kerby

you are fortunate that you already are on WR512. it means your base station has been upgraded from 384kbps to 512kbps.

if i was in your shoes am gonna find tweaks that will increase speed and then speed test to see the result.

don't worry about the lease period its gonna renew automatically as long as you pay your subscription.

#7 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

hey guys,
are you familiar with this software? "cFosSpeed"
what does it do??

#8 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

also, how do you do this??

"ii. faster page loading, disable DNS caching, increase buffer: http://www.j79zlr.co...blenutXP2k.php"
you will just download no.2 then double click the registry file??

thanks in advance. :angel:

*sorry i forgot to post this in my first post.

#9 fr0stbound

fr0stbound

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

yeah, looks like it.

#10 Polter

Polter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

Windows Sux :evil:... just use other non-proprietary OS (software libre) and then run windows only if you're using some programs you need... I use ubuntu and there is a big difference in the d/l and u/l speeds...

by the way, how do you know your smartbro package?

#11 fr0stbound

fr0stbound

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

by how much you pay for. most people here are on plan 999. now that you think about it, i don't know anyone who is not on plan 999.

#12 Polter

Polter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:30 AM

Will you still pay 999 if they upgrade your connection to WR15(512 Kbps)

#13 ExtremeFusion

ExtremeFusion

TMN Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:45 AM

@stingingsilver

Yes this is confirmed, actually it is posted here in TMN the gpedit.msc (GPEDIT is Group Policy Editor and MSC is Microsoft Console)...

here is the link...

http://www.testmy.ne...23147#msg223147

BTW, i don't mean to soil anything...  :smiley:

#14 tweak

tweak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

I have been using this quite a time now and it does work.

One side effect, when downloading on firefox the download speed rate freezes that's normal. :angel:

#15 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

yeah, looks like it.

thats all? double click it? its done?

#16 deoxyna

deoxyna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

i agree with polter. this is the problem with ms win os. too many hidden functions. don't want to spoil the fun of tweaking windoze, IMHO it's such a waste of time trying to figure out if one hidden function works or not. unlike with Linux, everything is laid out and everybody's welcome to suggestions.

this is from ms help article, hope this clears up the myth:

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP
As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS Packet Scheduler, see Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support
There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

#17 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

how do you do this??

"ii. faster page loading, disable DNS caching, increase buffer: http://www.j79zlr.co...blenutXP2k.php"

thanks in advance.

#18 coolbuster2007

coolbuster2007

TMN Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

how do you do this??

thanks in advance.

yes. the registry file will be merged.

#19 kerby_kerby

kerby_kerby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

yes. the registry file will be merged.

thanks again CB! ..does it work??

#20 Karlo

Karlo