portal.smartbro.net

kerby_kerby

hey guys, i cant seem to access portal.smartbro.net...

anyone knows why??

also i found a tweak that might help. found it in pcx forum, and the guy that posted in pcx, found it at puzo forum.

Windows XP uses 20% of your bandwidth !

Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

Works on XP Pro and 2000.

Topic taken from PUZO forums, but I thought it was worth the post so here ya go. Oh BTW, this gpedit.msc is another great way to tweak pc without having to use outside tools. But be careful and read the information bars before you make any changes.

can

hey guys, i cant seem to access portal.smartbro.net...

anyone knows why??

also i found a tweak that might help. found it in pcx forum, and the guy that posted in pcx, found it at puzo forum.

Windows XP uses 20% of your bandwidth !

Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

Works on XP Pro and 2000.

Topic taken from PUZO forums, but I thought it was worth the post so here ya go. Oh BTW, this gpedit.msc is another great way to tweak pc without having to use outside tools. But be careful and read the information bars before you make any changes.

can someone pls confirm this? anyone? thank you

@kerby_kerby

it won't expire dude, as long as you pay your smartbro bills on time, that is.

@ kerby_kerby

you are fortunate that you already are on WR512. it means your base station has been upgraded from 384kbps to 512kbps.

if i was in your shoes am gonna find tweaks that will increase speed and then speed test to see the result.

don't worry about the lease period its gonna renew automatically as long as you pay your subscription.

Windows Sux :evil:... just use other non-proprietary OS (software libre) and then run windows only if you're using some programs you need... I use ubuntu and there is a big difference in the d/l and u/l speeds...

by the way, how do you know your smartbro package?

i agree with polter. this is the problem with ms win os. too many hidden functions. don't want to spoil the fun of tweaking windoze, IMHO it's such a waste of time trying to figure out if one hidden function works or not. unlike with Linux, everything is laid out and everybody's welcome to suggestions.

this is from ms help article, hope this clears up the myth:

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP

As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS Packet Scheduler, see Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support

There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!  New to the forum.

I came about this forum just yesterday while accessing portal.smartbro.net trying to figure out how I could at least make my connection real steady.  I too have been upgraded into a WR512 and I think it will stay on this package as my account shows this is active till my next billing period.

From there, found a tweak and tried Coolbuster

Hello everyone!  New to the forum.

I came about this forum just yesterday while accessing portal.smartbro.net trying to figure out how I could at least make my connection real steady.  I too have been upgraded into a WR512 and I think it will stay on this package as my account shows this is active till my next billing period.

From there, found a tweak and tried Coolbuster?s steps to optimize my smartbro?s connection.  Tested the download and upload speed and yeah it transitioned into twice my original speed, so great!  I tried downloading from my client's DL/UL software and it saves me more than an hour to download all my files, wow!

Okay, point taken?If I split my broadband?s speed for two machines like adding another desktop or laptop perhaps through a router, will it affect the internet speed again if I run the two machines at the same time?  Any remedies for this, anyone?  Thanks much!

Definitely Yes.  Even in one machine, (I don't know if this happens to others) try to download 2 files from 2 different sites. The bandwidth will be divided into 2. Like I said, I don't know if this is true to all.

Sharing your connection to 2 machines will definitely affect the speed.

when I access my portal is always say that "Error detected.. Timeout in getting SID. Please try again.

If this error shows again, please call tech support." anyone pls explain what is this??

That's actually a glitch in their system.  What are you trying to do with the portal?  Were you able to browse the web before going to the portal? Or it redirects you when you try to access any website?  If it redirects you, open a command prompt window and type ping -t google.com.  If you get Request Timed Out then it means your session isn't authenticated with Smart Bro yet but you get otherwise then the Error in Getting SID is just fine.