New 400GB Hard drive

Swimmer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quote me on this cause i haven't looked into it much yet. But i believe in RAID 0 you have 2 disks reading the same Data therefore much faster. Though for some reason it doesn't = twice as fast. The disadvantage is if one disk crashes they both crash and you lose everything. But you can run RAID 0 with a third drive as backup just in case.

Though for some reason it doesn't = twice as fast.

I can understand why, the link between the HDs and the rest of the computer can't handle double the data stream yet. SATA seems to be made for RAID 0...

Sata is pretty much to repace the old scsi interface... The scsi is pretty much only for servers and was the first interface to offer raid. Then IDE came out with raid and now we have SATA. Raid 0 is the fastest.. It provides a mirror image on 2 drive and they work in tandom to pull info off. Here are the general specs of different types of Raid:

Level 0: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disks) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance.

Level 3: Same as Level 0, but also reserves one dedicated disk for error correction data. It provides good performance and some level of fault tolerance.

Level 5: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance.

The only reason that you would even want raid would be for a server or you are just wanting something that very few people have in their main computers. It can be very cheap... most of the two Raptors and you have a kick ass raid setup.