hottestarcher

Best Free Anti-Virus

89 posts in this topic

That is all I use any more. But to be safe I also use ccleaner and Hijack This. Once every 3-6 mos. I use the free version of Malwarebytes. Hope this helps..

13 hours ago, Garrett Velociter said:

Anyone use Windows Defender?

I haven't used that in years. The detection rate is pretty abysmal compared to all of the other AVs.

mudmanc4 likes this

Windows Defender was a pretty good anti-virus before Microsoft started distributing it through Windows Updates and Windows 8 onwards.

The problem now is that those creating viruses and malware are obviously not going to develop something that is going to be detected by Windows' own anti-virus, whereas it is a much tougher challenge to make sure it gets past the heuristics of all the free anti-virus packages.

Personally if I had to choose a free anti-virus, I would pick Avast.  One nice feature with Avast is that it uses a community rating system for potentially unwanted software.  For example, it will detect the pesky Ask Toolbar as having a bad reputation where as other anti-virus products ignore it.  It also seems pretty light on the system resources, particularly on lower end and older computers.  On the other hand, one thing I don't like with Avast is that it often displays product advertising, although not as bad as I recall with AVG. 

On my own PC, I actually use Malwarebytes premium (pay for product).  Although it does not claim to be an anti-virus product, it catches a lot more stuff and have even seen its free scanner product remove malware and rootkits on PCs that had McAfee or Norton which didn't even detect the infection.

Edited by Sean
mudmanc4 likes this

I've been recommending F-Secure to my clients for the last ~6-8 months. All of which have had excellent results. 

Remembering, if an anti-virus is free, you are the product.

On 3 April 2008 at 10:41 PM, mudmanc4 said:

Gosh sometimes ianonline.........ok I'll spill it, I was pokin fun at the weekly security update that windows has, as well as the need for an antivirus.  see?   I don't ever use Windows unless I'm gaming, so I don't even need one  :-P

But thanks for the insight any how.  :smile2:

Right there with ya matey, I got the joke.

7 minutes ago, LR said:

Right there with ya matey, I got the joke.

Well then, bringing a post back to life from 2008, nice B)

7 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

Well then, bringing a post back to life from 2008, nice B)

Eeep :o Surry. Did some 1am blurry eyed skim reading, didn't realise how far back this active thread went :P Forgive and forget? ;) 

12 hours ago, LR said:

Eeep :o Surry. Did some 1am blurry eyed skim reading, didn't realise how far back this active thread went :P Forgive and forget? ;) 

Hey it's all good. That's why we have threads that last so long :thumbsup:

LR likes this

13 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

Hey it's all good. That's why we have threads that last so long :thumbsup:

:D Necroposts get most people mad. On this whole topic of antivirus - which is most effective - I think its fair to say that since the thread began all those years ago, all vendors are now really struggling to keep up with the current threat landscape. Today there should be much more focus on blocking malicious sites and code at the network level, rather than solely on the host machine, especially with the growing number of IoT devices around any household which have no other form of protection.

I've been looking at a fairly new free antivirus by Qihoo called "360 Total Security", and I'm still snooping around for opinions of people that might be knowledgeable in the field, or even better have first hand experience with the program too. It sounds like a very competitive new player.

I used to use Avast, but it has become a nagging nightmare. I have since switched to Panda's free antivirus with good results and it doesn't nag me 24/7 to buy something. The only Antivirus that I would pay money for would be Bitdefender. 

Actually, it sounds to me like (caveman geek here, remember:) Bitdefender is just one of a few good antivirus search engines that it can employ in one package.... and even more appealing IMO is the fact that it's freeware.