hottestarcher

Best Free Anti-Virus

Windows Defender was a pretty good anti-virus before Microsoft started distributing it through Windows Updates and Windows 8 onwards.

The problem now is that those creating viruses and malware are obviously not going to develop something that is going to be detected by Windows' own anti-virus, whereas it is a much tougher challenge to make sure it gets past the heuristics of all the free anti-virus packages.

Personally if I had to choose a free anti-virus, I would pick Avast.  One nice feature with Avast is that it uses a community rating system for potentially unwanted software.  For example, it will detect the pesky Ask Toolbar as having a bad reputation where as other anti-virus products ignore it.  It also seems pretty light on the system resources, particularly on lower end and older computers.  On the other hand, one thing I don't like with Avast is that it often displays product advertising, although not as bad as I recall with AVG. 

On my own PC, I actually use Malwarebytes premium (pay for product).  Although it does not claim to be an anti-virus product, it catches a lot more stuff and have even seen its free scanner product remove malware and rootkits on PCs that had McAfee or Norton which didn't even detect the infection.

Edited by Sean

LR    0
On 3 April 2008 at 10:41 PM, mudmanc4 said:

Gosh sometimes ianonline.........ok I'll spill it, I was pokin fun at the weekly security update that windows has, as well as the need for an antivirus.  see?   I don't ever use Windows unless I'm gaming, so I don't even need one  :-P

But thanks for the insight any how.  :smile2:

Right there with ya matey, I got the joke.

LR    0
7 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

Well then, bringing a post back to life from 2008, nice B)

Eeep :o Surry. Did some 1am blurry eyed skim reading, didn't realise how far back this active thread went :P Forgive and forget? ;) 

LR    0
13 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

Hey it's all good. That's why we have threads that last so long :thumbsup:

:D Necroposts get most people mad. On this whole topic of antivirus - which is most effective - I think its fair to say that since the thread began all those years ago, all vendors are now really struggling to keep up with the current threat landscape. Today there should be much more focus on blocking malicious sites and code at the network level, rather than solely on the host machine, especially with the growing number of IoT devices around any household which have no other form of protection.

I've been looking at a fairly new free antivirus by Qihoo called "360 Total Security", and I'm still snooping around for opinions of people that might be knowledgeable in the field, or even better have first hand experience with the program too. It sounds like a very competitive new player.

I used to use Avast, but it has become a nagging nightmare. I have since switched to Panda's free antivirus with good results and it doesn't nag me 24/7 to buy something. The only Antivirus that I would pay money for would be Bitdefender. 

Actually, it sounds to me like (caveman geek here, remember:) Bitdefender is just one of a few good antivirus search engines that it can employ in one package.... and even more appealing IMO is the fact that it's freeware.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:23 PM, wiggy said:

I've been looking at a fairly new free antivirus by Qihoo called "360 Total Security", and I'm still snooping around for opinions of people that might be knowledgeable in the field, or even better have first hand experience with the program too. It sounds like a very competitive new player.

Might be very careful using anything Qihoo, they have already been bribed into whitelisting malicious applications. Have [they] tightened up? We won't know that until the next exploit has been outed:

A complex attack straight out of a spy novel

The attack itself was quite extensive:

1. White listing of malicious apps
Cyber criminals bribed employees of a Chinese gaming company into including their malware among the legitimate apps it sent to Qihoo 360.

These apps passed Qihoo’s inspection and were whitelisted, allowing the hidden malware to run on machines protected by Qihoo’s wide-spread and free anti-virus solution for mobile and PCs. Once this phase was complete, the attackers could initiate their true malicious activity.

2. Infecting a seller/store
Attacks were staged using Taobao.com, a popular Chinese marketplace that’s similar to eBay but operates differently. On Taobao.com, buyers initiate purchases by sending a picture of an item to the seller using the Aliwanwang instant messaging app. Money is then exchanged between the buyer and the seller using Alipay, Aliwanwang’s payment platform.

Attackers disguised as a Taobao.com buyers sent sellers legitimate photos injected with whitelisted Trojans. These sellers then opened the pictures on a PCs and became infected because the Trojans weren’t detected by Qihoo anti-virus.

3. Collecting credentials for a financial attack
For the last state, the attacker requested a refund from the seller, requiring the seller to log in to their Alipay account. The Trojan then keylogged their credentials, allowing the attacker to steal money from the seller’s account.

Source

Speaking of: [1/23/2017]

Check Point researchers have found a new variant of the HummingBad malware hidden in more than 20 apps on Google Play. The infected apps in this campaign were downloaded several million times by unsuspecting users. Check Point informed the Google Security team about the apps, which were then removed from Google Play.

This new variant, dubbed ‘HummingWhale,’ includes new, cutting edge techniques that allow it to perform ad fraud better than ever before.

[........]

This .apk operates as a dropper, used to download and execute additional apps, similar to the tactics employed by previous versions of HummingBad. However, this dropper went much further. It uses an Android plugin called DroidPlugin, originally developed by Qihoo 360, to upload fraudulent apps on a virtual machine.

Source

Yeah, I'm always prone to be a bit skeptical when things sound a bit too good to be true, and still haven't really messed with all that stuff. Warning bells went off prior to my initial post when a pop-up saying I'd been infected came up, but after phoning their helpline I could tell it was clearly a scam. I did a fairly decent cleanup suggested here (https://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/)  and everything looks looks pretty clean.

i would say AVG ,
i've put AVG on every system build and repair ive done, 
you have to go through the settings for that deployment, *(scan times, scan whole files, through scanning etc....)
but if you set it up to work around you AVG works amazingly, *(and so so if you just run it out the box)

avast for me would be a second runner up for me, 

i would strongly advise against symantec , mcafee,  free or other, 

a good non bias reference for this , or that i use
vb100, or the RAP test - reactive and proactive testing

https://www.virusbulletin.com/testing/vb100/latest-rap-quadrant/

there's a good handful of specializing AV out there, too 
for specific scans , and for virus removal after the fact, but i usually leave AVG as my resident protection / av logging, 
and install and uninstall the others as needed during a removal, 

ive also sold AVG retail at a previous job, there customer support it pretty straight forward, and they have a lot of back end tools built in that they don't talk about unless needed, 
lol i hope this helps anyone having issues with AVG lol 
http://www.avg.com/tools  < you can't access that from any link on there site lol 

i believe the largest misconception with antivirus is that people want to feel protected, they want a easy solution , and to not think about it ,
and naturally, these people, like things that are flashy and visually assuring, ultimately promoting a false sense of security becasue its something they do not understand, or do not want to deal with or worry about 
i use them for logging , basically to tell me when there is a prolbem , right away so i can resolve it , and not allowing the bugs to fester and nest, 
i do not rely on any AV to "fix it for me", sadly people need to realize , that like there car, there's not an app for that, 
there are tools, for people that know what there doing, take some time and do some research , 

realistically , the best antivirus is a 3 2 1 back up policy, 
3 copies of your data, 2 different devices or media, 1 of witch offsite, 

and you can always back up to an external, place that in a shielded box, and stick that in a safty deposit box at the bank 
but aegain your security and peace of mind depend on you and your application

i hope this helps some one :)