Upload Problems

rcljeep05

Last week, our Verizon MI424WR burned out (read: died completely), and we went through a big hassle of failed orders and service visits that never showed up.  Now (and I'm pretty sure before it burned out) I'm having a lot of problems with speed.  We have the 20/5 package, which we've had for 1-2 years.  I just ran the speedtest on this website, and I got: 15.7 down/ 0.16 up

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 15735 Kbps about 15.74 Mbps (tested with 25600 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1921 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 163 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 20 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/08/27 - 4:20pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QZ0XHOUMJ

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7LXH04QEK

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16 [!]

The internet also feels laggy.  We had a Verizon tech here today who didn't seem to know what he was doing.  He went straight to yahoo.com and said he didn't see a problem.  I asked him if he knew the difference between upload and download.

He told me to upload a picture to another email address, which took about 10 minutes(3 MB picture on 5mbps connection should take about 10 seconds).  He promptly blamed it on my computer (even though the same speed results happen on all the others).  A Verizon speed test called it a server problem (probably because it is not possible to see scores that low, hence, it's an error) which the tech believed.

He called Verizon tech support, which (he kept telling them that there was no "physical" problem, it was just "on paper") said they would examine the line internally and look for problems.

This is a far cry from what happened a few days ago, when I called Verizon about problems with the TV guide not updating with the new router.  This led into a discussion about the internet, where he agreed with me completely that there is something wrong with the internet, and commented that he liked talking to someone who knew what the problem was and what he was talking about.  He said he opened a ticket, that someone else would examine the line, and call us with the results.  We got a message yesterday that we needed to schedule a visit for a person.

So I guess I'm back to square one, the tech didn't really do anything except search conspiracy theory websites with my dad's laptop while on hold with Verizon tech support and tell me about Nike.

Sorry for telling you my life's story.  Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?  Also, we got FiOS TV in February, and the neighbors got FiOS shortly after that.  I don't know if that could have affected our lines or not.