Wildblue and vonage

akandmk

:uglystupid2: We recently had wildblue installed (and that was a pain in the butt by itself). We were used to dial up and really didn't know that our speed wasn't what it was supposed to be until we got vonage. :knuppel2: We called vonage and they tweaked it as much as they could but then we had to call stupid wildblue who told us that we'd have to go up in pkg price to get more of an upload and download speed. GRRRRRR! Okay so we moved up in price but gee we are not getting the speed that we paid for yet which really ticks me off because we only  have our prepaid cellphones to call these stupid ppl to get this fixed. If anyone here can help me out please tell me that these people can fix this problem without charging me for something they should've already fixed!

I haven't heard of anyone being happy with Hughes either. Is regular phone service out of the question? If your upload and download aren't high enough Vonage won't work right, but I guess you figured that out already.

EDIT: Requirements

* You must have a high-speed Internet connection (cable or DSL)

* You need a US or Puerto Rico shipping address (no PO boxes)

Once you sign up, we will ship your startup package within 5 business days. To start saving, simply connect your telephone to your high-speed Internet connection using the Vonage phone adapter. Pick up the phone, and use it just like you do today!

http://www.vonage.com/call_plans_residential_premium.php?lid=residential_premium&refer_id=OLNSR080801004W1

sbc/at&t is the only phone service provider and after paying a hundred dollars a month for just their services, not including any long distance charges we've had enough. I got vonage because i wanted the whole package without having to pay an arm and a leg for it. Hehe, yeah we figured out that if the upload isn't fast enough it wasn't going to work. What the service tech at wildblue told us was that because we had the cheaper package we were getting enough upload so we bumped it up to the next one which is 59$ a month and he supposedly flipped a switch and let a little more juice come our way. UM NO! After testing it not only here but on www.speedtest.net i know for a fact that it is just barely above what dial up is. I am an online student and my husband is a nursing student so we need the internet. UGH what a mess.  :cheesy:

No. We actually live in between two towns and are actually considered to be  in the smaller town. The larger town has more to offer but when we call them of course they tell us that they can't help us and we'd have to stick it out with sbc. UGH!

What wireless phone companies do you have out there

We have a lot of different wireless cell companies in springfield. My husband and i are going through verizon prepaid wireless. When we bought the phones we only thoughth we'd have to use them for every day usage for a short time. Mainly we bought them so that we could just be able to talk with each other when he is at work or school.  :cheesy: I guess if hughes net is just as bad then we are going to have to keep at wildblue to give us our monies worth.

:smiley: Just for local info. Wildblue and Hughes Net are not the same people. But back to the Vonage issue, your service provider should have informed you that satellite internet connections do not support Vonage. Even if you increase to the higher service package

The WildBlue system is engineered to help offset the impact of latency, which is the delay caused by sending signals from the earth to the satellite and back again. However, there is a delay of about a quarter second as the signal travels up to the satellite and back down to the ground. For most applications this latency does not affect performance, however, there are some applications like voice over IP (telephone service delivered over the Internet, also known as VoIP), or real-time interactive gaming, where latency will have a noticeable effect on performance over the WildBlue network, as it would on any satellite-delivered service.

I hope this keeps you from spending more money trying.The reason I know this is I have Wildblue and my wife is the service rep. for them in theis area that we live.

sbc/at&t is the only phone service provider and after paying a hundred dollars a month for just their services, not including any long distance charges we've had enough.

I have AT&T and only pay $25 a month including taxes. I also live in the country 5 miles from town. But again I am on the basic package. I don't need all that extra crap. Has cricket cell phone come to your area yet? Straight up cheap cell phone service and unlimited. But as to vonage and sat. Never gonna be good with any sat provider.

Welcome to the forum akandmk  :grin2:

:smiley: Just for local info. Wildblue and Hughes Net are not the same people. But back to the Vonage issue, your service provider should have informed you that satellite internet connections do not support Vonage. Even if you increase to the higher service package

The WildBlue system is engineered to help offset the impact of latency, which is the delay caused by sending signals from the earth to the satellite and back again. However, there is a delay of about a quarter second as the signal travels up to the satellite and back down to the ground. For most applications this latency does not affect performance, however, there are some applications like voice over IP (telephone service delivered over the Internet, also known as VoIP), or real-time interactive gaming, where latency will have a noticeable effect on performance over the WildBlue network, as it would on any satellite-delivered service.

I hope this keeps you from spending more money trying.The reason I know this is I have Wildblue and my wife is the service rep. for them in theis area that we live.

First off, I don't know where you got the quarter second latency figure, since even before WB scrubbed their online documentation, even they only claimed a half second latency. I can say without equivocation, as both a former customer and business partner, the best latency figures I saw (prior to DAMA) on both the front and back end was 600ms (.6 seconds) with an average closer to 700ms. After DAMA was implemented, you will not see latency on the WB system under 1 second, with averages (on well installed systems on non-overloaded beams) closer to 1200-1400ms (1.2-1.4 seconds). This is between the modem and the gateway, and does not even factor in subsequent geographical traffic.

Bottom line: WB is NOT suitable for voip. They have even changed their online documentation to state that they do not support voip. They are great for browsing, e-mail, and downloading (carefully, as they do have a fairly stringent FAP). WB is horrible for ANY real-time application such as voip or gaming. I have heard that Hughes is better in terms of latency, but I have no firsthand knowledge one way or the other. I personally switched to a local wireless ISP (WISP) that utilizes Motorola Canopy hardware, which is growing fast, but may not be available in your area. It not only supports voip, many ISP's actually prioritize voip traffic.

LATENCY is the problem, not bandwidth. I've had both wildblue and starband, both of them will tell you that VOIP and many online gaming wont work very good. Back in 1996, I used a VOIP on a 56k dialup.. it worked pretty good, but dialup doesn't have good enough bandwidth to do it right.

On the other hand, if you don't mind a second or 2 delay, your wildblue should have PLENTY of bandwidth to use VOIP, and you don't need the more expensive package for that.

Vonage has a money back guarantee if cancel in the first 30 days.

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

We offer a money back guarantee if you terminate your service within 30 days from your subscription date. The subscription date is the date you order service or the date we successfully process your payment, whichever is later. It is not the day you receive the equipment you ordered or the first day you use the service.

http://www.vonage.com/features_terms_service.php?lid=footer_terms&refer_id=OLNSR080801004W1#MONEYBACK

• 10 months later...

:angry: Unfortunately we live out in the boonies and are only other choice is to see about hughesnet.  I would really like to use my already paid for vonage and there is no way that i am paying wildblue more money just so that they can sit there and do nothing.

Internet phone service does not work well with most satellite internet.  To bad you didn't check into that first.  You may want to read the following link.

http://help.wildblue.net/kb/article/2996

Ron ~ Wildblue Select Pak since 01-2006, Anik F2 Beam 26, service through NRTC, Dell XPS, 2Gig Ram, XP Pro, Router DD-WRT- WRT54GL, Laptop, XP home

First off, I don't know where you got the quarter second latency figure, since even before WB scrubbed their online documentation, even they only claimed a half second latency. I can say without equivocation, as both a former customer and business partner, the best latency figures I saw (prior to DAMA) on both the front and back end was 600ms (.6 seconds) with an average closer to 700ms. After DAMA was implemented, you will not see latency on the WB system under 1 second, with averages (on well installed systems on non-overloaded beams) closer to 1200-1400ms (1.2-1.4 seconds). This is between the modem and the gateway, and does not even factor in subsequent geographical traffic.

Bottom line: WB is NOT suitable for voip. They have even changed their online documentation to state that they do not support voip. They are great for browsing, e-mail, and downloading (carefully, as they do have a fairly stringent FAP). WB is horrible for ANY real-time application such as voip or gaming. I have heard that Hughes is better in terms of latency, but I have no firsthand knowledge one way or the other. I personally switched to a local wireless ISP (WISP) that utilizes Motorola Canopy hardware, which is growing fast, but may not be available in your area. It not only supports voip, many ISP's actually prioritize voip traffic.

Overall pretty darn accurate.  Excellent compared to some of the nonsense posted in this thread.

Ron ~ Wildblue Select Pak since 01-2006, Anik F2 Beam 26, service through NRTC, Dell XPS, 2Gig Ram, XP Pro, Router DD-WRT- WRT54GL, Laptop, XP home