Intermittant Performance Question

grinwithin

I recently moved and was forced to cable carriers  :cry:  I know I am a heavy user with VOIP, VTC (video conf.), etc.  I have expanded service and I am being billed for 30Mpbs/5Mpbs.  I work really long hours and crunching in a few classes when I can is critical for career growth. 

Every evening during Prime Time (when I am trying to do research for classes) the internet craps out.  I checked the TV and that is grainy, if I can get a picture at all.  Sounds like a service delivery issue.  I called tech support several times and the #1 excuse is is that my TV/PC/Routers are all broken.  When I called them on it and gave them the tracert feeds ranging from single digits to numbers in excess of 230 and the amount of dropped packets, they started saying someone is stealing service off my line.  That is highly unlikely, since they don't want to send someone out to investigate possible fraud and I seriously doubt the neighbors would know how to hack into the feed.

I found this forum to run tests and I am clocking in at 57% capacity around 7Mpbs.  Am I wrong about this being a service delivery issue? Is there anything I can try to fix the problem and up the speed?  :?:

Is there anything I can try to at least keep the connection consistent since this cable company has a monopoly on Broadband in my area? 

I have Comcast cable my internet speed is all over the place. Just to many people on the same line. I had a connection problem last year and they ended up having to replace the line coming into the Apt.  They ran a temporary line right from the outside box to the modem to check it out. Also had a splitter go bad on me. If you can try running a line right to the modem without any splitter, this way at lease you know it not a wiring problem in your house.