Keeping your system secure, and clean is a basic, monthly requirement for all of us. There are many different programs out there that claim they will detect and destroy the “nasties “ lurking about the web. But few actually do what they tell you, many are simply tracking what you do, collecting bits from your browsing habits to sell to the advertizing industry, to better serve you ….HA!
Following this guide will keep you on the right track against the daily barrage of illegitimate offers telling you just how bad off your system is, when they show you “supposedly “ dozens or hundreds of system issues, then tell you the’ll fix them for a such said amount of money. This may or may not be true, but there are better ways to do this, derived from several places more interested in removing these issues, rather then taking your money and promising the “fix”.
If you know you have an issue, such as a virus, skip down to section B, otherwise begin here.
This guide is derived from my personal experiences in cleaning and maintaining windows systems, the after mentioned procedures and programs are widely used and trusted in the Internet community.
Section A: Installing viable detection/removal/maintenance software.
1) Make certain all windows patches are up to date, and installed correctly.
2) Remove any and all unwanted, unused, and most of all, programs you didn’t install yourself, or programs you searched out by means of google , and still have no idea why there installed on your system .
3)Turn off any unwanted services. Most of us don’t have a clue what most services really are, but there is hope, neuber is a favorite resource of mine for gathering information from users just like you and me, in droves. Gives you the power to decide whether you need, or want the service. To access the services menu, Control Panel > Administrative Tools> Services. Be sure you familiarize yourself with what service your adjusting, disabling something incorrectly, could render your system inoperable.
4) Download and install the best spyware/ malware detector, and remover available. spybot also contains many options to remove and maintain a healthy file system. Click the "advanced " tab to show options that can and will delete data you may want to keep .
5) Download and install (only from the links they provide) AVG Free Edition , millions use this software daily to insure ( as much as possible) and prevent a virus infestation. Keep in mind these are simply the basics of keeping your system healthy , and free from pesky issues that keep you from enjoying your silicon friend.
Section B : What to do if you know you have a Virus
1) Make sure you use your antivirus software, hello ?
2) Post your issues, and the "fix" in the Testmy.net PC security section
Please keep in mind this is a very basic guide to get you aimed in the right direction in keeping a smooth running machine.