Windows 7 UAC Disabled and Gadgets still Work

coknuck

As most have found out if you disable the UAC (User Account Controls) the desk top gadgets don't work. I found the registy edit that lets you disable UAC and keep the desktop gadgets. I did reboot to see if it works and it does!

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSidebarSettings

3. Create a new DWORD Value called AllowElevatedProcess

4. Set the value of the new DWORD to 1

5. Close the registry editor. Your gadgets should work now. No reboot or anything necessary.

• 2 years later...

As most have found out if you disable the UAC (User Account Controls) the desk top gadgets don't work. I found the registy edit that lets you disable UAC and keep the desktop gadgets. I did reboot to see if it works and it does!

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSidebarSettings

3. Create a new DWORD Value called AllowElevatedProcess

4. Set the value of the new DWORD to 1

5. Close the registry editor. Your gadgets should work now. No reboot or anything necessary.

I've had Win 7 since it came out with UAC disabled and all my Gadgets work, desktop or otherwise. I was totally unaware of this reg hack. I may have to dig into this further.

• 1 month later...

I've disabled UAC a time or 2 for extended periods of time for one reason or another and never lost functionality of my gadgets.. Wasnt even aware this was an issue?

Very cool edit otherwise :D:thumbsup:

That post was for the people who were using the RC1 or beta which ever you want to call it. In the beta version the gadgets would dissapeared when you disabled the UAC. Some people were using W7 way before it was released to the public. :wink2: