voip

banjoboy

:roll: :roll:

I was told by xplornet that voip should work with satellite. I have tried skype and most recently magic jack. From what I can see because of the latency--it does not work propery. skype worked better but I still could not make it usuable--voices delayed, choppy ect.

download is 2mb upload is 285kps

anyone out there on sattellite with working voip??

Now I'm not on any satellite , but knowing how VoIP works, you'll be happy if your upload supports the bandwidth needed to push the data. I've read several posts here and there of people complaining of the same thing. If there are QOS settings in the router your using, I suggest setting them to the correct ports to allow the signal to take possession of the line during a call.

There is this company in Alberta who supposedly can make their VOIP work with Satellite. But that news was from before the Hughesnet HN9000 systems.

http://www.comamigo.com/

They might have a free trial to see if it works. I think someones post said they can tweak the protocol for satellite lag. But LAG times over even a 1000ms may be hit or miss. The WildBlue service was able to do VOIP before the dreaded DAMA was applied in 2006 causing pings to rise from 600ms to over a 1000ms.

And if you have a good router to be able to make a dedicated bandwidth QOS to the VOIP ,thats a good thing.

Xplornets version of VOIP may be calibrated for the Telesat systems.

http://www.xplornet.com/iptalk.php

with about a second round trip time for packets, VOIP is going to be hit or miss, the only thing they can do is time delay things properly so you don't chop up.. you'll never be able to get rid of the lag.. Good luck, i'm guessing it's not going to be a happy ending trying to use VOIP over sat if you're used to regular landline connectivity.

Comamigo doesn't work well through the 9000's. It doesn't have the throughput. It used to work "ok" on the Telesat systems, but now that it's so bogged down, most people have just upright canceled their VoIP service or changed providers if possible.

I would not recommend getting VoIP from any provider unless they specifically tell you that it works and you have used a living proof version (or know someone who has it and it works on the same system you're getting/have).

Comamigo works pretty decent on Xplornet wireless. The 2.4GHz Modules are what you want though (With a reflector dish). That means you have to be roughly 10-miles from the tower. If you get a 900MHz module, then I would suggest using your internet to see how it reacts. If you notice it gets really slow, your phone will not work. You will get hiccups like skipped letters/words/phrases and even dropping the call or one side hearing but not being able to be heard. Ya, it happens a lot.

The Xplornet VoIP (ipTalk) is ... ok ... What they did is put QoS on the ATA boxes (your VoIP Box) when they are activated. When information comes from the box, the QoS pushes it through as priority. Now, if your internet is slow, it doesn't matter if it has priority. If the bandwidth for it's communication needs aren't met, it will do exactly the same thing as any other provider.

VoIP does require a lot of bandwidth. The 'keep-alive' of the system as I'll call it, basically checks to see whether or not it is on the network, if any settings are changed and what ever else they want it to do. This constant usage adds up, then when you pick-up the phone, the real data goes live. Downloading is usually not an issue, as it is the uploading.

Another important thing, is that you ensure that your system has a Static IP on it. If you do not, it doesn't matter what you put on the Xplornet system, it probably won't work. The Xplornet 3.5 Expedience system works fine with it providing your internet upload speed can keep up with your demands on the system. Most of the 3.5 towers are operating smoothly. There are far less problems, mostly due to the lack of other providers with that spectrum on the towers.

Just do some homework, ask the local dealer for their honest opinion on the system, and if they have any references. Don't ask them for their names, but give them your info, and to mention it to someone using the VoIP on Xplornet or even Xplornet systems itself, that they contact you. it's like a job interview, but with a 3yr contract, and huge buyout if it doesn't work after the 30-day trial.... :)

• 3 months later...

Update: Do _NOT_ under any circumstance take a chance with VoIP on the Hughes KA unless you're completely desperate, or are willing to face the fact that it's not a normal phone line.

It skips, pops, clicks, hangs up, loses one direction of speaking sometimes, doesn't ring, goes straight to voicemail, won't ring when you're off the phone but will if you're on the phone and you get the call waiting... blah blah blah. Lots of problems.

If you're willing to put up with 1 or 2 or a combination of the above problems to have a phone in your house in the middle of nowhere, then get one. otherwise, use your cell. Get an in-house booster with a 40' antenna tower etc. Anything but VoIP on Satellite.

• 3 years later...

I have used ITALKBB voip over satellite XPLORNET for three years with no complaint but a month ago it stopped working and others cannot hear me. Then I noticed SKYPE and other pc based VOIP solutions do not work as well. I am not pleased because XplorNet is the only common point but they are sadly saying they could not care less.

• CA3LE locked this topic