strange speed problem

joepep

I recently went to cable internet with service electric cable in northern new jersey.

I purchased the 10 meg plan ..

My wife's and my computer are both hard wired to the same router.

My wife consistently gets between 5 megs and 9 megs of speed

but the best I ever get is 1 meg of speed.

And I thought it might be my net cable so I bought a new cat 6 cable but still the same differences with speed.

There could be plenty of things stopping the speed. Have you plugged into the port ob the router she normally does , to rule out a QOS setting ?

Or connect to the modem w/o the router for a minute to see if the issue is even router specific.

Look to se what security programs your using such as a secondary firewall, and or spyware feature .

There could be a small piece of spyware hidden that is sucking bandwidth from the network adapter.

The network adapter settings still might be set for whatever IPs specific details it needed.

Welcome to testmy.net

I had a similar problem last night.

I found the problem with my internet security.

I had to reset it and it fixed my problem.

In his case it could be something similar.

btw My speeds are always consistent above 19 MB

Speed with Internet Security before I fixed the problem

share2-60MSTYCUJ

Speed with Internet Security after I fixed the problem by turning off and on my security.

share2-IE7GQOCF2

I disabled all my virus protections and this is what I got

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 423 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 512 kB)

Download Speed is:: 52 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/08/09 - 9:33am

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 19.69 sec

Tested from a 512 kB file and took 9.922 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 9.63 % of your hosts average (ptd.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-H1P4IJA26

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MSN Optimized;US) [!]

I'm not totally clean on what exactly trident is, but is seems to be on most HP servers, there's graphics cards that use a trident drivers, as well as a wide range of other trident explanations. I first ran into it when searching for the correct scsi drivers for an HP server. I found that there is a company tht implements this "trident" into datacenters to allow system administrators more control over the programming side of the OS , vs. a software administrator.

So I was actually hoping for some explanation from you  :haha:

Trident definitions.

http://www.google.com/webhp#hl=en&q=trident+internet+explorer&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&fp=-Pw1cEIpNGU

I was wondering what is "GTB6" myself.

And you do not need to turn off virus protections or firewall to do tests. Unless you have some real quirky settings on them.

Maybe a quick scan with the free  http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10896905  Would clear things up. Download, install and update and scan.

Thanks fo the google link on trident.  :grin2:

I searched plenty of that, but in the case of HP servres, trident means something entirely different, trident is something that's flashed into the rom of iOS embedded with the server chip, it contains it's own OS to remotely administer a server. Although this has nothing to do with this thread, I just thought id'e throw that in here considering this OS has nothing to do with MS , or IE. And this is why I asked him if he was running a server OS in another thread that was posted .

Good idea to scan for any kind of malware. Myself I do all scams in safe mode, because not always , but many , and most times, the program isn't running while in safe mode.

Thanks fo the google link on trident.  :grin2:

Good idea to scan for any kind of malware. Myself I do all scams in safe mode, because not always , but many , and most times, the program isn't running while in safe mode.

I looked at the speed tests of "joepep "  and they are stuck in one small range. Must be something locking down the speed.

I looked at the speed tests of "joepep "  and they are stuck in one small range. Must be something locking down the speed.

Good call.

Hey joepep, have you tried moving your port on the router to her's ? And or just connecting your machine directly yo the modem and doing a speed test here ? That would rule out a router config issue.

I have switched ports with my wife's and got the same thing

downloaded the malware remover and it did find a few things but it had no effect on the speed.

next i will hook up directly to the modem to see what that does . if that doesn't work I will call my ISP for tech support. If that doesn't work i might go wireless since my daughters computer is older than mine and she is getting better speeds wirelessly them I am with a wire.

There has to be something within your system to be limiting bandwidth. I would clear out everything that I didn't need, or that I thought could be "calling home".  Update the device drivers, check to make sure that the driver for the network card is up to date.

Have yo tried different cable ? There are two different ways to wire a cat5 cable, and can cause speeds to be lowered.

Goto this test server and see if it tells you there's an issue somewhere. Half the information if supplies, only a handful of people in the world fully understand, but the things you will need to look for should be apparent.

http://ndt.anl.gov/

You want to  ( after the test ) click  "statistics " and see if there is a cable mismatch, and or if the connection is limited to half duplex. You should look to see if there is any packet loss detected as well.

Well I hooked in directly to the modem and got the same speed ..definitly something in my system.

the nic card is set at 100mps full duplex.

I am going to check out some more system settings and then probably get a new nic card :sad3: :sad3:

Well there's no sence in just going out and spending money , if you haven't found the issue, the new card isn't necessarily going to do anything more then this one.

When I cannot seem to locate an issue with a device, I'll make sure I have a driver on hand for the device, wether it's in the form of a file on the drive, or better yet, on a disk, ready to go, then I will go into device manager, and uninstall the device, after that I will physically uninstall it. If it isn't embedded into the board.

I do a restart, then click out of the notices that tell me what I already know, that the card is gone, or isn't working, or whatever windows comes up with. Making sure that the device is not in the device manager, sometimes it doesn;t entirely go away.

Then I shut down properly, and install the physical card, when I restart, I get a notice of a new deice and install the proper, updated driver.

Then I put the operating system disk in the drive, restsart, and click out of that window that comes up to install the OS and all that crud, then go into start > run > type "cmd" when the shell opens, I will type  "sfc /scannow"  < notice there's a space between sfc  and the /  , but no quotes. This will take a while, what it does is make sure all main, system files are present, and in the right place . Sometimes, if things have been monkeyed with allot, it will take some time to fix it all. And sometimes, I need to put in the activation code.

Making certain that I uninstalled any tweak program that i may have used . More or less allowing the system to act as it was when it was in order, because obviously there's something not right. Either way, it's a learning experience, and you'll surely fix some things that needed fixing anyhow. If that does nothing, well hey, you gave it a better shot.