• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Internet Explorer 9 Beta

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of IE9? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Dow you like the new Internet Explorer 9?

1. Yes (9 votes [40.91%])

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

2. No (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. I'm on Mac or Linux and can't use it, oh well! (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

4. I'm going to wait for the final version... (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:26 AM

I'm not really the best person to write about this since I'm running Mac (and currently don't have my virtual boxes running). But I did want to open up discussion on the new IE9 and get your opinions on it. [nerd]

Some new features of IE9 worth mentioning

• Pinned sites - easily add sites to a list that automatically loads when the browser is opened. This has been available in other browsers but IE9 gives the users the ability to simply drag the sites to the bar instead of going into the browser settings. You don't have to have any special knowledge to do this.
  • Cleaner, one box layout - looks allot like Chrome, shows more of the page without scrolling and is more minimalistic.
  • Functionality of tabs - New tab bar shows frequently visited sites and you now have the ability to kill a specific tab in the task manager if it starts to hang.
  • Download manager - Engaget said it best... "Finally", Microsoft should have added this a long time ago.
  • Add-on Performance Advisor - A tool used for showing you what browser add-ons and toolbars are slowing down your browsing experience. It shows you how much extra time each toolbar takes to load, etc.

About the Performance - Internet Explorer 9 doesn't seem to be all that much better from the research that I've done. It is better than previous versions of IE but in my opinion Microsoft is just playing catch up with Google Chrome and Firefox by adding features that have been standard in those browsers for a long time. IE9 does however employ hardware acceleration. At this time it's a moot point. Since most sites out there that would benefit from such technology are written in flash... and flash already employs GPU acceleration. In the future however, when more sites are HTML 5 this will be a major selling point. But by then the other major browsers will undoubtedly have this built in. According to the performance reviews that I've read Chrome and Firefox still out perform the new IE9, with Chrome a little on top of Firefox. IE9 is a major improvement on IE8 though... but that's like saying, "Ice cream tastes better than dog poop." :uglystupid2: -- IE8 is way behind the times and pretty much anything is an improvement.

Get IE9 Beta - If you'd like to test drive the Internet Explorer 9 beta visit http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/ (Direct Link to get the IE9 Beta)

More in depth information - Engaget has a nice review of IE9 (Visit the Engaget IE9 review)

It looks allot cleaner and quicker. It also looks to me that Microsoft has addressed many issues that were plaguing users in IE8. It should also be noted that IE9 will not be supported on Windows XP, but is that really a surprise to anyone since Microsoft announced that XP is no longer being updated.

Has anyone had a chance to test drive the new version of Internet Explorer? What are your first impressions and opinions on the newest version of Internet Explorer?

Even if I was on Windows I'd still use a different browser, call it personal preference or maybe it's just because I like things that are fast (lol). The fact that Microsoft doesn't even offer their browser for Mac users pisses me off. Apple offers Safari for Windows users... COME ON MS! :wtf:

ie913.jpg ie97.jpg ie911.jpg

"Working to improve our Internet one connection at a time."
CA3LE.png

#2 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

can i get that with linux...i don't want it...just wondering

Final_fairy_350x140.png tdawnaz.png index38.jpg
worship me like the Goddess I am :razz:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress,can be judged by the way its animals are treated" **MAHATMA GANDHI
"You must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium. A wizard's power of Changing and Summoning can shake the balance of the world. It is dangerous, that power. It is most perilous. It must follow knowledge, and serve need. To light a candle is to cast a shadow." URSELA K. LE GUIN
windows 8..."it's so bad , people aren't even stealing it" **ninjageek

#3 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

can i get that with linux...i don't want it...just wondering

No. Microsoft doesn't play well with others... greedy mofos.

CA3LE.png

#4 reno

reno

TMN Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Might have to give this a try and see if it compares to Google Chrome.

#5 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

Might have to give this a try and see if it compares to Google Chrome.

Let us know your thoughts in this thread after you give it a try. Some people may find it useful.

Good to see you reno... you're considered one of the original TMN members :)

CA3LE.png

#6 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,598 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:09 AM

I'll have to update to the latest SP for XP in VM and check it out sometime.

mudmanc4.png sigimage.gif

#7 dlewis23

dlewis23

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

I'll have to update to the latest SP for XP in VM and check it out sometime.

IE9 is Vista and Win7 only so updating XP won't work. And if you wanted to try the IE10 preview you would have to update to Win7 as that will only work on Win7 and Win8.

It's about time. Microsoft is finally starting to ditch the older OS's.

#8 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,598 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

Yea , I don't care that much :laugh:

#9 tommie gorman

tommie gorman

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Sophist Member
  • 13,201 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

XP is still a great OS. Nothing wrong except Micro makes it uncompatable. Smells a bit like monopoly to me. :cool:
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!
"an old country hick from america"

Sprint EVDO Rev. A * Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1*AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 8.0 RAM, ATI Radeon 3200 Graphics
Posted Image

#10 MttFrog13

MttFrog13

TMN Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

For the first time ever, Internet Explorer is the fast browser on my computer. Every now and then, I go and run a few sunspider tests and depending on the scores, and also any new features for each browser, I decide to switch. Here's my Latest results:

IE
332.5ms
333.0ms

Firefox (Beta Channel)
359.7ms
352.1ms

Chrome (Beta Channel)
378.3ms
376.1ms

Opera
367.4ms
366.6ms

Safari
376.4ms
375.5ms

Usually, Chrome is the fastest and IE is the slowest but somehow IE is the fastest and Chrome is the slowest. Is that a pig I just saw fly by my window? Anyway...these sunspider results aren't completely real world. Chrome IMO still is the fastest due to having multiple processes, a feature that was supposed to be coming to Firefox but hasn't materialized yet (although they did give the flash plugin it's own process I think so at least that won't crash the whole browser). Still though, mutiple processes between windows will be needed to get the fastest end user speed. I've been using chrome since 2008, and maybe switch back to FF for a month or two since then. What do you guys think?
Comcast 15/5
Ron Paul 2012

#11 zeddlar

zeddlar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:48 AM

I have had it for a while now and personally I don't care for it. I am a bit old fasdhioned and think if it isn't broke, don't fix it and while I do believe they went the right direction with some things, I don't see why they had to move everything around. I don't like the search box, address bar combination or that they moved the favorites menu and I liked the tab system IE8 and 7 way better than this one but hey thats just my 2 cents worth. As far as performance, I can't really tell any differance and with satellite Safari is more often the more trustworthy browser for me. While it might load as fast as IE, it will load pages right that IE won't. Oh and I also like Safari's most frequently visited sights set up. I could easily be a Mac convert if they didn't charge 3 times as much for their stuff and Hughesnet better supported them.
Hughesnet Elite plan or the commercial version of it / hn9000 modem/ .74 dish with 1watt trans. / Computer specs, Alienware, MB: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX,. GFX: EVGA Nvidia Geoforce 8600GTO, CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz , Ram: G Skill high spped, 4gb., Windows Vista 32 bit.

#12 Dude111

Dude111

An Awesome Dude

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:39 AM

It's about time. Microsoft is finally starting to ditch the older OS's.

The thing is they want people on the NEWEST OS's where they have the MOST CONTROL to monitor and watch people...

#13 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,598 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

The thing is they want people on the NEWEST OS's where they have the MOST CONTROL to monitor and watch people...

Love it lol You fit into a group that thinks past the pretties.

#14 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Love it lol You fit into a group that thinks past the pretties.

but i like the pretties... sometimes.

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 955 BE Processor - 4.1GHz | MB: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3
RAM: Wintec XMP1600 DDR3 - 8.00GB @ 1600MHz | Video Card: Sapphire HD Radeon (Cypress XT) 5870 2GB | HDD0-3: 1.8TB
Network: Realtek 1Gb Ethernet, Asus 1Gb Switch, D-Link DIR-655, Motorola SB 6120
TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#15 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

I use IE9 but I can take it or leave it. Especially " Your browser can only show secure content" Its in a little yellow bar at the bottom of the page. I have yet to find a way to turn it off. I like IE7 or 8 better. But Google complains if you do not use the most current browser.
GO FIRSTCLASS!--WE DO!    On AIR, On LINE and On the GO!

#16 tommie gorman

tommie gorman

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Sophist Member
  • 13,201 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

I use IE9 but I can take it or leave it. Especially " Your browser can only show secure content" Its in a little yellow bar at the bottom of the page. I have yet to find a way to turn it off. I like IE7 or 8 better. But Google complains if you do not use the most current browser.

Let them complain, gonna be on IE7 for some time it appears. I never liked IE8. Hope IE9 eventually improves.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!

Sprint EVDO Rev. A * Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1*AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 8.0 RAM, ATI Radeon 3200 Graphics
Posted Image

#17 tommie gorman

tommie gorman

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Sophist Member
  • 13,201 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Not sure how this got bumped, but IE9 seems smooth to me. I'll stick to it. And thankfully never had to put up with IE8. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#18 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,598 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Not sure how this got bumped, but IE9 seems smooth to me. I'll stick to it. And thankfully never had to put up with IE8. :thumbsup:

IPB has a feature called " poll bump " , which bumps the topic when someone votes in the attached poll.

#19 Dude111

Dude111

An Awesome Dude

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

Yes VBB sites also have this and on SOME SITES they have it enabled! (Which sucks if you didnt intend to move it to the top!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Speed Test Version 14.11
© 2014 TestMy Net LLC - TestMy.net - Terms & Privacy