Xplornet (Hughesnet) Speed Tests?

tvman

Hi, i am signed up with xplornet in Canada which is through Hughesnet. I am on a 1.5 mb pak and evenings are terrible for me speed wise from around 5:00 pm till 10:00 pm, other than those times i get what i pay for.

What i'm finding odd is that if i do a speed test from testmy.net in the evenings i will get pretty decent speeds but other speed test sites (speakeasy) not so good.

Tonight for example at testmy i got around 1mb but at speakeasy i was only getting around 308 kbps. The Testmy speeds are also higher than what i get in the real world as i only get evening d/l speeds at 25-35 kb's. Can someone explain why Testmy speeds show higher than Speakeasy and also show higher than what i get when trying to d/l a file? Speakeasy seems to more accurately portray real world speeds. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Hi, i am signed up with xplornet in Canada which is through Hughesnet. I am on a 1.5 mb pak and evenings are terrible for me speed wise from around 5:00 pm till 10:00 pm, other than those times i get what i pay for.

What i'm finding odd is that if i do a speed test from testmy.net in the evenings i will get pretty decent speeds but other speed test sites (speakeasy) not so good.

Tonight for example at testmy i got around 1mb but at speakeasy i was only getting around 308 kbps. The Testmy speeds are also higher than what i get in the real world as i only get evening d/l speeds at 25-35 kb's. Can someone explain why Testmy speeds show higher than Speakeasy and also show higher than what i get when trying to d/l a file? Speakeasy seems to more accurately portray real world speeds. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

You're getting a better connection to the TestMy.net server during those hours. Usually people inquire when it's the other way around.

You're going to get varied speeds around the internet. For instance, I do a download from Winamp.com for instance... pull about 20Mbps... I then run a test here and get >50Mbps..... downloading a file doesn't necessarily tell you what your actual connection speed is.

First off, use the 3 MB test for your level of service and also with testmy you will get a very very accurate test every time but there is a trick to it with sat. Simply start the test and when it loads and starts testing click back on your browser and start the test again. For some reason the latency of sat. will cause the test here to start at 15 to 20 percent done already on the first test which gives you an inflated speed test. The reason I said use the 3MB test is that you can also get an inflated result from any test if the test size is set to small. If you follow these instructions you will find that not only will your results reflect the browsing speeds it seems like you are getting but you will also notice that if you compare it to Hughesnet's own test they will run almost exactly the same all the time and this sight you don't have to put in numbers to even get to the test and wait 10 minutes for a result.

• 3 months later...

If anyone has any desire to purchase Hughesnet then you need to spend your money elsewhere. I am currently paying 70.00 per mo for 1.5 Mbps speed and only averaging 400 Kbps. I threatened legal action on Hughesnet for false advertising and they have, after finally admitting after 8 months that they can't deliver on their speed claims, have started crediting me. I get a Pakistani calling me every week telling me my speeds have increased but then I share with him my results from testmy.net and hughesnets speed tests and he backs off. Under NO circumstances should ANYONE waste their money on this worthless company. Go with wildblue or another Sat Internet Co. Hughesnet will rip you off!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As usual I have always found that if you tough it out long enough with Hughesnet then they will try to make things better eventually. These are the new 9000 download speeds most people are seeing now and supposedly rumor has it that the 7000 systems will see speed improvements as well very soon.

t3jSYZa.png

• 1 month later...