Gigabit Switch Required?

miyaboy

Hello all

I am on a 100mpbs cable internet plan and the modem is connected to a D-Link Xtreme N Duo DIR 855 router (Gigabit Router). A Fast Ethernet Network Switch is then connected to the router whereby all the 5 computers in my house are connected to the switch. I would like to ask whether would this method of configuration affect the internet speeds attained by my 5 computers? Do I need to upgrade the Fast Ethernet Network Switch to a Gigabit switch?

Currently, I am getting like only 10% of the speed that I am supposed to get.

Thanks for the help.

Hello all

I am on a 100mpbs cable internet plan and the modem is connected to a D-Link Xtreme N Duo DIR 855 router (Gigabit Router). A Fast Ethernet Network Switch is then connected to the router whereby all the 5 computers in my house are connected to the switch. I would like to ask whether would this method of configuration affect the internet speeds attained by my 5 computers? Do I need to upgrade the Fast Ethernet Network Switch to a Gigabit switch?

Currently, I am getting like only 10% of the speed that I am supposed to get.

Thanks for the help.

Well, I assume that it's a 100Mbps switch right? Why do you need the switch? Is it because your router only has 4 ethernet ports?

That shouldn't slow you down by much. Although transfer from computer to computer within your home network will be 10X slower than if you have a Gigabit switch.

... For troubleshooting purposes First I'd recommend hooking the cable modem directly to your best computer... bypass the router and switch and see what speeds you get. If you get better speeds then work the problem out by adding things one at a time...

Second, add the router....

• If you see your speeds drop after that then you know that it's either a misconfiguration of your router (in which case reset the router to factory specs) OR it could be as simple as a bad ethernet cable, either going from the modem to the router or the router to the computer

Now, add the switch...

• If your speeds are comprable to what you were seeing with a direct connection to the modem then add the switch... if your speeds drop after that then it could be a bad ethernet cable from your router to the switch or just a plain old bad switch.

Basically eliminate the variables... then add them back one at a time. That usually uncovers the culprit.

;) Good Luck... When you find a solution please update this thread so that future visitors may find the help that they need.

A 100Mbps switch should't drop your connection to 10% -- but personally I would upgrade to a Gigabit switch, or at least run 3 computers off the Gigabit router, hook the switch to the 4th plug and run the remaining two off the 100Mbps switch... maybe to the computers (or roommates :2funny: ) that you don't care about that much.

- CA3LE

... where are you located by the way?

Well, I assume that it's a 100Mbps switch right? Why do you need the switch? Is it because your router only has 4 ethernet ports?

That shouldn't slow you down by much. Although transfer from computer to computer within your home network will be 10X slower than if you have a Gigabit switch.

... For troubleshooting purposes First I'd recommend hooking the cable modem directly to your best computer... bypass the router and switch and see what speeds you get. If you get better speeds then work the problem out by adding things one at a time...

Second, add the router....

• If you see your speeds drop after that then you know that it's either a misconfiguration of your router (in which case reset the router to factory specs) OR it could be as simple as a bad ethernet cable, either going from the modem to the router or the router to the computer

Now, add the switch...

• If your speeds are comprable to what you were seeing with a direct connection to the modem then add the switch... if your speeds drop after that then it could be a bad ethernet cable from your router to the switch or just a plain old bad switch.

Basically eliminate the variables... then add them back one at a time. That usually uncovers the culprit.

;) Good Luck... When you find a solution please update this thread so that future visitors may find the help that they need.

A 100Mbps switch should't drop your connection to 10% -- but personally I would upgrade to a Gigabit switch, or at least run 3 computers off the Gigabit router, hook the switch to the 4th plug and run the remaining two off the 100Mbps switch... maybe to the computers (or roommates :2funny: ) that you don't care about that much.

- CA3LE

... where are you located by the way?

Hi these are the results from the cable modem that were pretty shocking to me. I am from Singapore by the way.

YWX2DMRNF&dual=yes&q2=MFXP1JSGZ.png

Hi these are the results from the cable modem that were pretty shocking to me. I am from Singapore by the way.

YWX2DMRNF&dual=yes&q2=MFXP1JSGZ.png

Well, testing from singapore will lower your results for sure. Our server is in Texas. Over that distance there are a number of factors that come into play. The distance itself is a hit because it takes longer to get from point A to point B.

... But the results that you see are an accurate representation of the speeds that you get to the US. If most of the websites that you visit are based in the US there is a way to speed up your connection by tweaking some settings... MTU and RWIN. Try tweaking your setting with SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer.

Download the most recent version (3.0.6) >> TCPOptimizer-3-0-6.zip

You can also try the Vanburen Cablenut Tweak... It's an older tweak but I've heard allot of good feedback on that.

Basically you need to optimize your connection for long distance... You could probably max your connection out on servers near you... though that doesn't really tell you much if most of the sites you visit are outside of Singapore. I hate to refer people to my competition but you can try speedtest.net if you want to check your connection on a server closer to you. Years ago I used to offer donated mirrors here but I did away with them because there was no way for me to control the quality of the service on them. I'm currently working on a better world-wide testing solution.... probably still about 1000+ programming hours before version 1 of that's completed though..... too bad I only have ten fingers.... maybe I could learn to type with my toes at the same time, now that's an idea! :2funny:

- CA3LE

• 4 weeks later...