20 replies to this topic

#1 Heeter

Heeter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

Hi all,

Wondering what is the difference between speed test sites. I test with testmynet, then speedtest.net at the results are not even in the same ballpark. Even though speedtest.net selects a speed test server in my city, This is still the internet, and the results should be a lot more comparable.

Speedtest.net speed 24Mbps download/ Testmy.net speed 2.4Mbps download.

Thanks all,

Heeter

Posted Image

#2 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

The test method here is completely different. Some factors that may slow down your performance when testing here (that aren't always detected by other speed tests) include... Incorrect MTU and/or Rwin settings and slow hard drive performance.

Another factor that effects all speedtests is the route to the server. If there is congestion along the route then you'll see slower speeds than you might expect. We run our dedicated servers through one of the most powerful and well peered providers in the country... so if there is congestion the clients host is usually to blame (Shaw in this example).

Speedtest.net's servers are usually so close to you that route is rarely a factor... but I personally believe that people are only lying to themselves when they test off such close servers. It defeats the purpose of this type of test.... do you want to know what your speed is to your neighbors house or do you want to know what your speed is to a normal, more realistic location.

If you have a minute read this. Pay attention to the final paragraph.

You're only as fast as the weakest link between you and the test server. I have done everything on my end to ensure the best possible testing environment now it's really up to the ISP's to get their customers routed through better providers and bigger, more adequate pipelines along the way.

Speedtest.net isn't wrong by the way... I just think that they test people under unrealistic circumstances.

If you're host is doing things right you should be able to max your line out here from anywhere in North America...

:::.. CA3LE's Combined Test Results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 53574 Kbps about 53.57 Mbps (tested with 50 MB)
Download Speed is:: 6697 kB/s or 6.7 MB/s
Upload Connection is:: 4159 Kbps about 4.2 Mbps (tested with 2.9 MB)
Upload Speed is:: 520 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net (Dallas, TX USA)
Test Time:: 2011-02-13 12:39:33 GMT -7
Validation:: http://testmy.net/db...N2IVEL&dual=yes
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 [!]

I'm like 1400 miles from the server by the way.

"Working to improve our Internet one connection at a time."
CA3LE.png

#3 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

yeh just tested at speedtest and they have me at 25 dn and 3 up...bahahahaha i wish!!...but no...not even close...i pay for 12/2...and what i get here is...

Posted Image

which is great for me...i prefer to know the truth...and the truth is...i'm not gonna get 25 dn without paying for it

Final_fairy_350x140.png tdawnaz.png index38.jpg
worship me like the Goddess I am :razz:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress,can be judged by the way its animals are treated" **MAHATMA GANDHI
"You must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium. A wizard's power of Changing and Summoning can shake the balance of the world. It is dangerous, that power. It is most perilous. It must follow knowledge, and serve need. To light a candle is to cast a shadow." URSELA K. LE GUIN
windows 8..."it's so bad , people aren't even stealing it" **ninjageek

#4 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

yeh just tested at speedtest and they have me at 25 dn and 3 up...bahahahaha i wish!!...but no...not even close...i pay for 12/2...and what i get here is...

Posted Image

which is great for me...i prefer to know the truth...and the truth is...i'm not gonna get 25 dn without paying for it

Definitely a great example. Thanks tdawn ;)

CA3LE.png

#5 Heeter

Heeter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

So, my ISP is selling me a package up to 15 Mbps (Shaw Cable - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), it is not even close with testmy.net, should I be concerned. Should I be raising a stink?

A long time ago, I pinned them on the fact that they optimize their results on a java script for windows. I use Linux which showed completely different results. At one point, I tested one machine with 2 different hard drives ( one with Vista, other with Debian). I would test with the windows Vista HD in the machine, I would get the speeds that my ISP promised. Then I would boot from the debian Hard Drive from the same machine, and it would be about half. The ISP tech admitted that the javascript on their own speedtester site was optimized for windows machines.

Thanks for detailed response, CA3LE, TDAWNAZ

Heeter

Posted Image

#6 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

i wouldn't be... if i were downloading from a server in canada it would probably yield similar results

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 955 BE Processor - 4.1GHz | MB: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3
RAM: Wintec XMP1600 DDR3 - 8.00GB @ 1600MHz | Video Card: Sapphire HD Radeon (Cypress XT) 5870 2GB | HDD0-3: 1.8TB
Network: Realtek 1Gb Ethernet, Asus 1Gb Switch, D-Link DIR-655, Motorola SB 6120
TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#7 xs1

xs1

Beta Tester

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:19 AM

Yea speedtest.net makes you feel pretty good , but testmy.net is far more accurate. Ill give you an example on my crap 15 / 2 advertised line ; As you can see their test gives me FAR more than advertised speeds.

Now there are days it runs well and i see 20 ; but 25 , 26 is really pushing it. I've seen as high as 28 from speedtest.net... on my 15 meg line :D lol

Testmy.net :

Download Connection is:: 13295 Kbps about 13.3 Mbps (tested with 25 MB)
Download Speed is:: 1662 kB/s or 1.7 MB/s

Upload Connection is:: 1359 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2.9 MB)
Upload Speed is:: 170 kB/s

Speedtest.net:

Download : 24.28 Mb/s
Upload : 1.65 Mb/s

seen here

*~ Member Since: September 20, 2004 ~*
Download Speed: 84188 kbps (10523.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 27346 kbps (3418.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 45 ms

Posted Image

#8 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:28 AM

So, my ISP is selling me a package up to 15 Mbps (Shaw Cable - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), it is not even close with testmy.net, should I be concerned. Should I be raising a stink?

Well, are you experiencing slow downloads to most servers? If yes, I would raise a stink. Maybe run a scheduled test and see what times you're slowing down. These problems are usually associated with peak traffic hours. After you've tested you can give your stats link to Shaw.

A long time ago, I pinned them on the fact that they optimize their results on a java script for windows. I use Linux which showed completely different results. At one point, I tested one machine with 2 different hard drives ( one with Vista, other with Debian). I would test with the windows Vista HD in the machine, I would get the speeds that my ISP promised. Then I would boot from the debian Hard Drive from the same machine, and it would be about half. The ISP tech admitted that the javascript on their own speedtester site was optimized for windows machines.

We don't have that problem here. Firstly, I'm a linux guy myself. Secondly, I program with compatibility on the forefront of my mind. I try and make sure that my users don't require anything special to run the tests here. Any OS with the vanilla browser will work properly here. Another thing that this site does is show the difference between browsers (other speed tests don't seem to notice). Third... I extensively test my programs in literally EVERY browser. There are a couple of known browser issues... the PS3 browser (piece of crap) simply doesn't work and Opera (another PoS) doesn't perform well, I personally can only pull 20Mbps out of it on my 50Mbps line (Mac Version). The methods that are employed here enable this test to benchmark browsers as well as your internet. Short comings of browsers like opera become very apparent when you test here. Over the years I've seen the balance of power shift from IE to Firefox to Chrome back to Firefox... etc. Depends on the build really. If you run tests back to back using different browsers you'll see what I mean.

Spoiler

Thanks for detailed response, CA3LE, TDAWNAZ

Heeter

No problem, that's what we're here for. Please tell your friends about the site. This is 100% word of mouth.

- Damon

Yea speedtest.net makes you feel pretty good , but testmy.net is far more accurate. Ill give you an example on my crap 15 / 2 advertised line ; As you can see their test gives me FAR more than advertised speeds.

Now there are days it runs well and i see 20 ; but 25 , 26 is really pushing it. I've seen as high as 28 from speedtest.net... on my 15 meg line :D lol

... Condensed ...

Another good example. Thanks Nick ;)

-D

CA3LE.png

#9 xs1

xs1

Beta Tester

• Beta Tester
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:29 AM

Well, are you experiencing slow downloads to most servers? If yes, I would raise a stink. Maybe run a scheduled test and see what times you're slowing down. These problems are usually associated with peak traffic hours. After you've tested you can give your stats link to Shaw.

Only problem with this idea is the same my ISP did to me. They'll claim that the server is too far from himself to guarantee speeds. I believe their exact phrase was " We only guaranty speeds throughout the local networks ; anything over the boarders are not guaranteed " <_< Bottom line is to protect their best interest they will tell him to test locally.

Posted Image

#10 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:37 AM

Only problem with this idea is the same my ISP did to me. They'll claim that the server is too far from himself to guarantee speeds. I believe their exact phrase was " We only guaranty speeds throughout the local networks ; anything over the boarders are not guaranteed " <_< Bottom line is to protect their best interest they will tell him to test locally.

Yeah, companies always get away with stuff in the fine print. The best we can really do is try to educate people on their practices and recommend ISPs with better practices. I just hope that the information here has and will continue to help make the internet a better (faster) place. :headbang:

:2fast:

CA3LE.png

#11 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, companies always get away with stuff in the fine print. The best we can really do is try to educate people on their practices and recommend ISPs with better practices. I just hope that the information here has and will continue to help make the internet a better (faster) place. :headbang:

no such thing as too fast :P

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 955 BE Processor - 4.1GHz | MB: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3
RAM: Wintec XMP1600 DDR3 - 8.00GB @ 1600MHz | Video Card: Sapphire HD Radeon (Cypress XT) 5870 2GB | HDD0-3: 1.8TB
Network: Realtek 1Gb Ethernet, Asus 1Gb Switch, D-Link DIR-655, Motorola SB 6120
TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#12 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

no such thing as too fast :P

Werd!

CA3LE.png

#13 haifa7

haifa7

Earning Trust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

Nice................

#14 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:48 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• tmn_logo.jpg

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress,can be judged by the way its animals are treated" **MAHATMA GANDHI
"You must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium. A wizard's power of Changing and Summoning can shake the balance of the world. It is dangerous, that power. It is most perilous. It must follow knowledge, and serve need. To light a candle is to cast a shadow." URSELA K. LE GUIN

#15 TJS

TJS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

Hi all,

Wondering what is the difference between speed test sites. I test with testmynet, then speedtest.net at the results are not even in the same ballpark. Even though speedtest.net selects a speed test server in my city, This is still the internet, and the results should be a lot more comparable.

Speedtest.net speed 24Mbps download/ Testmy.net speed 2.4Mbps download.

Thanks all,

Heeter

Just thoguht id continue on this ^_^

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Strange how south africa is not much slower then i get to parts of the us, when its half as far again the distance from dallas tx?
Posted Image
And newzealand at over 2 times as far

I feel somewhat skeptical that its my isp to blame for connections to the mid/south of america being slow when newyork hits faster. it seems as though the poor routing is mid/south America to Europe? I could be wrong though :undecided:

Please take note of the distances on the test results :)

#16 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

TJS...where are your results for tmn...not sure why you are posting speedtest results here

#17 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

Just thoguht id continue on this ^_^

Please read TestMy.net scores ONLY

CA3LE.png

#18 VeryKen

VeryKen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

Here's something ridiculous I found while browsing Comcast's offers. It's a test site that actually gives you a MUCH LOWER score, but it also has a link redirecting you to another test site of theirs assuming that existing customers don't see any difference. I've been a Comcast customer subscriber for many years. It's a love-hate relationship.

http://business.comc....aspx#speedTest
My results:
4.23Mbps Download
2.45 Mbps Upload

Compare to their "existing subscriber" test site:
28.80 Mbps Download
4.11 Mbps Upload

Which is very similar to SpeedTest... basically around 30Mbps/ 4Mbps

My numbers here (testmy) are:
4.38 Mbps Download
3.30 Mbps Upload

All performed just now, within minutes apart of each other.

#19 xs1

xs1

Beta Tester

• Beta Tester
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:29 AM

Here's something ridiculous I found while browsing Comcast's offers. It's a test site that actually gives you a MUCH LOWER score, but it also has a link redirecting you to another test site of theirs assuming that existing customers don't see any difference. I've been a Comcast customer subscriber for many years. It's a love-hate relationship.

http://business.comc....aspx#speedTest
My results:
4.23Mbps Download
2.45 Mbps Upload

Compare to their "existing subscriber" test site:
28.80 Mbps Download
4.11 Mbps Upload

Which is very similar to SpeedTest... basically around 30Mbps/ 4Mbps

My numbers here (testmy) are:
4.38 Mbps Download
3.30 Mbps Upload

All performed just now, within minutes apart of each other.

Must be your routing. As far as "speeds" go the site is decent. Upload is dog slow tho.. Best i could pull out of it was 16..

First Screenshot : Comcast Business

Second Screenshot: Testmy.net

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled6654789.png
  • Untitled665478.png

Posted Image

#20 thomaswilliam222

thomaswilliam222

Earning Trust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

However you try to test the speed of your site in different speed test sites you will not be able to get the accurate speed. So its better to test your site with some site speed testing softwares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Speed Test Version 14.10
© 2014 TestMy Net LLC - TestMy.net - Legal - Advertise