Difference Between Speed Test Sites?

Heeter

Hi all,

Wondering what is the difference between speed test sites. I test with testmynet, then speedtest.net at the results are not even in the same ballpark. Even though speedtest.net selects a speed test server in my city, This is still the internet, and the results should be a lot more comparable.

Speedtest.net speed 24Mbps download/ Testmy.net speed 2.4Mbps download.

Thanks all,

Heeter

The test method here is completely different. Some factors that may slow down your performance when testing here (that aren't always detected by other speed tests) include... Incorrect MTU and/or Rwin settings and slow hard drive performance.

Another factor that effects all speedtests is the route to the server. If there is congestion along the route then you'll see slower speeds than you might expect. We run our dedicated servers through one of the most powerful and well peered providers in the country... so if there is congestion the clients host is usually to blame (Shaw in this example).

Speedtest.net's servers are usually so close to you that route is rarely a factor... but I personally believe that people are only lying to themselves when they test off such close servers. It defeats the purpose of this type of test.... do you want to know what your speed is to your neighbors house or do you want to know what your speed is to a normal, more realistic location.

If you have a minute read this. Pay attention to the final paragraph.

You're only as fast as the weakest link between you and the test server. I have done everything on my end to ensure the best possible testing environment now it's really up to the ISP's to get their customers routed through better providers and bigger, more adequate pipelines along the way.

Speedtest.net isn't wrong by the way... I just think that they test people under unrealistic circumstances.

If you're host is doing things right you should be able to max your line out here from anywhere in North America...

:::.. CA3LE's Combined Test Results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 53574 Kbps about 53.57 Mbps (tested with 50 MB)

Download Speed is:: 6697 kB/s or 6.7 MB/s

Upload Connection is:: 4159 Kbps about 4.2 Mbps (tested with 2.9 MB)

Upload Speed is:: 520 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Dallas, TX USA)

Test Time:: 2011-02-13 12:39:33 GMT -7

Validation:: https://testmy.net/db/TD6EGCR5Q&q2=608N2IVEL&dual=yes

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 [!]

I'm like 1400 miles from the server by the way.

yeh just tested at speedtest and they have me at 25 dn and 3 up...bahahahaha i wish!!...but no...not even close...i pay for 12/2...and what i get here is...

VPO2R97W4&dual=yes&q2=QGW6MF92Y.png

which is great for me...i prefer to know the truth...and the truth is...i'm not gonna get 25 dn without paying for it

yeh just tested at speedtest and they have me at 25 dn and 3 up...bahahahaha i wish!!...but no...not even close...i pay for 12/2...and what i get here is...

VPO2R97W4&dual=yes&q2=QGW6MF92Y.png

which is great for me...i prefer to know the truth...and the truth is...i'm not gonna get 25 dn without paying for it

Definitely a great example. Thanks tdawn ;)

So, my ISP is selling me a package up to 15 Mbps (Shaw Cable - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), it is not even close with testmy.net, should I be concerned. Should I be raising a stink?

A long time ago, I pinned them on the fact that they optimize their results on a java script for windows. I use Linux which showed completely different results. At one point, I tested one machine with 2 different hard drives ( one with Vista, other with Debian). I would test with the windows Vista HD in the machine, I would get the speeds that my ISP promised. Then I would boot from the debian Hard Drive from the same machine, and it would be about half. The ISP tech admitted that the javascript on their own speedtester site was optimized for windows machines.

Thanks for detailed response, CA3LE, TDAWNAZ

Heeter

Yea speedtest.net makes you feel pretty good , but testmy.net is far more accurate. Ill give you an example on my crap 15 / 2 advertised line ; As you can see their test gives me FAR more than advertised speeds.

Now there are days it runs well and i see 20 ; but 25 , 26 is really pushing it. I've seen as high as 28 from speedtest.net... on my 15 meg line :D lol

Testmy.net :

Download Connection is:: 13295 Kbps about 13.3 Mbps (tested with 25 MB)

Download Speed is:: 1662 kB/s or 1.7 MB/s

Upload Connection is:: 1359 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2.9 MB)

Upload Speed is:: 170 kB/s

Speedtest.net:

Download : 24.28 Mb/s

Upload : 1.65 Mb/s

seen here

So, my ISP is selling me a package up to 15 Mbps (Shaw Cable - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), it is not even close with testmy.net, should I be concerned. Should I be raising a stink?

Well, are you experiencing slow downloads to most servers? If yes, I would raise a stink. Maybe run a scheduled test and see what times you're slowing down. These problems are usually associated with peak traffic hours. After you've tested you can give your stats link to Shaw.

A long time ago, I pinned them on the fact that they optimize their results on a java script for windows. I use Linux which showed completely different results. At one point, I tested one machine with 2 different hard drives ( one with Vista, other with Debian). I would test with the windows Vista HD in the machine, I would get the speeds that my ISP promised. Then I would boot from the debian Hard Drive from the same machine, and it would be about half. The ISP tech admitted that the javascript on their own speedtester site was optimized for windows machines.

We don't have that problem here. Firstly, I'm a linux guy myself. Secondly, I program with compatibility on the forefront of my mind. I try and make sure that my users don't require anything special to run the tests here. Any OS with the vanilla browser will work properly here. Another thing that this site does is show the difference between browsers (other speed tests don't seem to notice). Third... I extensively test my programs in literally EVERY browser. There are a couple of known browser issues... the PS3 browser (piece of crap) simply doesn't work and Opera (another PoS) doesn't perform well, I personally can only pull 20Mbps out of it on my 50Mbps line (Mac Version). The methods that are employed here enable this test to benchmark browsers as well as your internet. Short comings of browsers like opera become very apparent when you test here. Over the years I've seen the balance of power shift from IE to Firefox to Chrome back to Firefox... etc. Depends on the build really. If you run tests back to back using different browsers you'll see what I mean.

Little side note: The tests here are really unique to the internet. I took a completely different path/approach to my internet testing solution. It's going to take thousands more hours of work for me to enable the system to tell the client the exact issue that's slowing them down (instead of just showing you a number and have you troubleshoot)... but that's my end goal with this project. I've been working on this for over ten years and I still don't see any end in sight. The internet changes too quickly for it to ever be finished.

Thanks for detailed response, CA3LE, TDAWNAZ

Heeter

No problem, that's what we're here for. Please tell your friends about the site. This is 100% word of mouth.

- Damon

Yea speedtest.net makes you feel pretty good , but testmy.net is far more accurate. Ill give you an example on my crap 15 / 2 advertised line ; As you can see their test gives me FAR more than advertised speeds.

Now there are days it runs well and i see 20 ; but 25 , 26 is really pushing it. I've seen as high as 28 from speedtest.net... on my 15 meg line :D lol

... Condensed ...

Another good example. Thanks Nick ;)

-D

Well, are you experiencing slow downloads to most servers? If yes, I would raise a stink. Maybe run a scheduled test and see what times you're slowing down. These problems are usually associated with peak traffic hours. After you've tested you can give your stats link to Shaw.

Only problem with this idea is the same my ISP did to me. They'll claim that the server is too far from himself to guarantee speeds. I believe their exact phrase was " We only guaranty speeds throughout the local networks ; anything over the boarders are not guaranteed " <_< Bottom line is to protect their best interest they will tell him to test locally.

Only problem with this idea is the same my ISP did to me. They'll claim that the server is too far from himself to guarantee speeds. I believe their exact phrase was " We only guaranty speeds throughout the local networks ; anything over the boarders are not guaranteed " <_< Bottom line is to protect their best interest they will tell him to test locally.

Yeah, companies always get away with stuff in the fine print. The best we can really do is try to educate people on their practices and recommend ISPs with better practices. I just hope that the information here has and will continue to help make the internet a better (faster) place. :headbang:

:2fast:

Yeah, companies always get away with stuff in the fine print. The best we can really do is try to educate people on their practices and recommend ISPs with better practices. I just hope that the information here has and will continue to help make the internet a better (faster) place. :headbang:

no such thing as too fast :P

post-33-0-85120300-1297766895_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Wondering what is the difference between speed test sites. I test with testmynet, then speedtest.net at the results are not even in the same ballpark. Even though speedtest.net selects a speed test server in my city, This is still the internet, and the results should be a lot more comparable.

Speedtest.net speed 24Mbps download/ Testmy.net speed 2.4Mbps download.

Thanks all,

Heeter

Just thoguht id continue on this ^_^

1284155934.png

1284855488.png

1284856538.png

1284870683.png

1284875574.png

1284861793.png

1284859867.png

1284868827.png

1284863107.png

Strange how south africa is not much slower then i get to parts of the us, when its half as far again the distance from dallas tx?

1284864868.png

And newzealand at over 2 times as far

I feel somewhat skeptical that its my isp to blame for connections to the mid/south of america being slow when newyork hits faster. it seems as though the poor routing is mid/south America to Europe? I could be wrong though :undecided:

Please take note of the distances on the test results :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something ridiculous I found while browsing Comcast's offers. It's a test site that actually gives you a MUCH LOWER score, but it also has a link redirecting you to another test site of theirs assuming that existing customers don't see any difference. I've been a Comcast customer subscriber for many years. It's a love-hate relationship.

http://business.comcast.com/internet/speed-comparison.aspx#speedTest

My results:

4.23Mbps Download

2.45 Mbps Upload

Compare to their "existing subscriber" test site:

28.80 Mbps Download

4.11 Mbps Upload

Which is very similar to SpeedTest... basically around 30Mbps/ 4Mbps

My numbers here (testmy) are:

4.38 Mbps Download

3.30 Mbps Upload

All performed just now, within minutes apart of each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's something ridiculous I found while browsing Comcast's offers. It's a test site that actually gives you a MUCH LOWER score, but it also has a link redirecting you to another test site of theirs assuming that existing customers don't see any difference. I've been a Comcast customer subscriber for many years. It's a love-hate relationship.

http://business.comc....aspx#speedTest

My results:

4.23Mbps Download

2.45 Mbps Upload

Compare to their "existing subscriber" test site:

28.80 Mbps Download

4.11 Mbps Upload

Which is very similar to SpeedTest... basically around 30Mbps/ 4Mbps

My numbers here (testmy) are:

4.38 Mbps Download

3.30 Mbps Upload

All performed just now, within minutes apart of each other.

Must be your routing. As far as "speeds" go the site is decent. Upload is dog slow tho.. Best i could pull out of it was 16..

First Screenshot : Comcast Business

Second Screenshot: Testmy.net

post-522-0-72616800-1307622633_thumb.png

post-522-0-09896100-1307622825_thumb.png

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Bumping.......

I recently got upgraded to 12M, router screen shows configured for 14975 Down/761 Up

TMN tests to Dallas have been around 10, highest was 10.7, some were much lower ... around 5 or 6.

Ookla and Speakeasy have shown 12 or more when choosing random servers exceeding 500 miles or so distance.

Using IE11 for most tests since that browser isn't currently used for other browsing.

Have a couple of utilities running that monitor connections, but they show speeds in KB/s, so I'm not sure how they translate. 

Never forget testmy.net is not located on an ISP's public facing network where oookla scripts live. So proving an ISP throughput cannot possibly be worth anymore than assuming the account has connection to the ISP, and that is as far as it goes. So the differences can be astounding.

To convert KB Kb MBps ect... testmy.net is kind enough to make a throughput  conversion script available for all users.

When testing at testmy.net , you'll get a real time 'internet' connection test, which runs through your modem, through your ISP's network, OUT and through the peers your ISP has available, to the specified testing node you choose.

With as many variables involved, this gives a supremely more accurate representation of how your experience is reflected, or performing.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Jay Wasack said:

I see significant differences amongst the test sites. DC is significantly faster than Dallas, for example. I live in Nashville.

That said does that have anything to do with my service? Where does my provider (comcast) connect me? I hope I'm being clear...

Test results will vary organically. Considering the net is made up of many branches, peering of the ISP and peers, availability of resources depending on time of day, broader usage (popularity), more or less the network density at the time the test is taken. And likely several million other possible reasons.