Heeter

Difference Between Speed Test Sites?

20 hours ago, Jay Wasack said:

So I guess my point is getting good results doesn't necessarily reflect actual performance. Is that fair to say?

Actually it's the inverse.

The result you get at testmy.net will correlate along side the performance you will see when accessing data in the same area as the test is run.

I agree with you. But I can't be sure I'll be accessing data on the same area as the test. I'm not questioning the validity of the test just confirming that the test doesn't necessary reflect what might actually be happening in day-to-day usage since I can't predict what route the service is on.

Thanks for your patient responses.

On 4/19/2016 at 8:15 AM, Jay Wasack said:

I agree with you. But I can't be sure I'll be accessing data on the same area as the test. I'm not questioning the validity of the test just confirming that the test doesn't necessary reflect what might actually be happening in day-to-day usage since I can't predict what route the service is on.

Thanks for your patient responses.

Considering so many sites are pulling from even countless resources, your point is well taken.

Day to day or minute by minute would be something a user gets a feel for after a time, for instance we get used to seeing a pageload depending n the site, at a certain speed, when there is an issue with one or more of the resources the site relies on, we notice that. This is where testmy.net can assist, by sector, what might be the issue. For instance if test results are all coming out low, this would lead us closer to home, or the ISP, if tests on servers one side of the country are low but not the other, this would lead us to a peering issue. Same for an overseas test.