• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Why Do My Results Differ From Speedtest.net / Ookla Speed Tests?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

The most common question that people ask us is why their results here differ from speedtest.net. I want to explain something that may help you understand why this is.

According to the Ookla Wiki the following is true about your tests taken at speedtest.net...

• The fastest 10% and slowest 30% of your results are DISCARDED
  • The remaining data is averaged together to determine the final result

Throwing away the fastest 10% and slowest 30% of the results in my opinion does not make for an accurate test. Isn't THAT the data that you're here to see?

Also note this isn't only true for speedtest.net. Ookla is huge, most of the speed tests online run their software.

Source: http://wiki.ookla.com/

Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 4.24.23 PM.png

Multithreading makes your connection look better
Ookla speed tests are also multithreaded. Meaning that they open more than one connection to the host and combine the speeds. This often can mask congestion issues. For instance, imagine that you have a pipe along your route that's limiting you to 10 Mbps. If you open more than one connection through that pipe you'll be able to achieve a faster speed... but testing that way will not clue you in that there is actually a problem along the route. Remember, you shouldn't have to multithread your connection to pull your full speed.  

Multithreaded speed tests, like the majority out there, are designed to benefit the Internet provider not the consumer.  They often display your maximum throughput not your throughput over the course of an entire upload or download.  Omitting the worst portion of your test resulting in inflated scores that may make you feel warm and fuzzy but aren't going to help you see and resolve connection issues.

Multithreading can show that you're able to max out your connection by combining the speed of concurrent connections but a great connection can max out without having to multithread.
onytXRV.j6dJz9Y.png

So, if you have to multithread your connection to get your full speed, you should be asking why that is.  With TestMy.net it's instantly apparent if there is a congested route. Your speed here reflects the actual loading time of data within your browser... not the combined efforts of multiple threads being altered (dropping the top 10% and bottom 30% of the results) and added together, all through a plugin that isn't suited for the task.

:: EDIT ::

If you'd like to multithread with TMN, I offer that as well.  Try the multithread speed test.  TMN's multithread test gives you the option to select from an array of servers.  Allowing you to test across multiple routes, to more than one server at a time.  TestMy.net is the only Internet speed test with this ability.

So THAT'S why your results differ. :wink:  --  TestMy.net is a harder test to ace and a lot less forgiving that other speed tests.  But isn't that what a benchmark should be?

:: EDIT ::
Another thing to consider is if you're running windows, particularly if it's older than Windows 7 you may need to tune your TCP stack to see your full speeds. Windows doesn't always come out of the box optimized for fast connections. Flash based speed tests fail to detect this problem.

To make this change for free I recommend TCP Optimizer. This makes changing those settings very easy and nearly fool proof. Just open it, slide the bar over to your speed that you're supposed to have, check "modify all adapters" ...apply the settings and reboot. You should have faster speeds after your re-test if that was the problem.

Here's an outside source talking about exactly this issue, I'll hunt down more examples. >> Download Speed Test - Something fishy?

A few related topics ::

Outside Sources ::

Edited by CA3LE, 22 June 2014 - 09:47 PM.
Added more links

"Working to improve our Internet one connection at a time."
CA3LE.png

#2 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Great explanation .

At times I'll use there service for a server as close to me as possible , so i can isolate the issue a bit more , true enough , thier closest server generally gives me very close results to yours here at tmn , imagine that.

edit: And that is a 1200 mile difference, let alone a non flash based test.

mudmanc4.png sigimage.gif

#3 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

i usually see very different results than here, when my internet is having issues speedtest.net doesn't usually detect them at all it will show my full 50/5 where as here i can see my service is really suffering and only receiving half that

i actually get better results from here then i see on speedtest.net maybe that's just me...

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 955 BE Processor - 4.1GHz | MB: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3
RAM: Wintec XMP1600 DDR3 - 8.00GB @ 1600MHz | Video Card: Sapphire HD Radeon (Cypress XT) 5870 2GB | HDD0-3: 1.8TB
Network: Realtek 1Gb Ethernet, Asus 1Gb Switch, D-Link DIR-655, Motorola SB 6120
TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#4 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

i usually see very different results than here, when my internet is having issues speedtest.net doesn't usually detect them at all it will show my full 50/5 where as here i can see my service is really suffering and only receiving half that

i actually get better results from here then i see on speedtest.net maybe that's just me...

Thanks for the testimonial ;)

CA3LE.png

#5 dn0

dn0

Expert

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

I also have the 50/5 service. But I regularly see 50-120mbps down from other flash driven sites, but I know that is false. Wish I could pull 100mbps+, but that is just a dream.
Thanks for all your hard work CA3LE!
Posted Image

#6 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

I also have the 50/5 service. But I regularly see 50-120mbps down from other flash driven sites, but I know that is false. Wish I could pull 100mbps+, but that is just a dream.
Thanks for all your hard work CA3LE!

Thanks for the testimonial... keep visiting! :)

CA3LE.png

#7 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

my results there are always out of this world...great numbers...like vanity sizing...but if i really wanna know if these jeans make my butt big tmn is the looking glass i believe...not always the numbers i wanna see...but hey sometimes the truth hurts...

like right now i'm having an issue that began in early april...most likely my modem...testing here toldl me something is wrong...i called cox and they wanted me to do a test using speedtest inside their network...i said i wouldn't go by that (first off i don't go to any websites or dl anything off their network that i know of)..i told her .that i could already tell her that what it was gonna say...25+...here lately i'm getting 8 or so...so just for the hell of it i took a test there...yep...34...if i went by them i'd never know i have a problem at all...so yes these jeans right now do make my butt look big...but they lied to me
:idiot2:

i love tmn
:smitten:

Final_fairy_350x140.png tdawnaz.png index38.jpg
worship me like the Goddess I am :razz:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress,can be judged by the way its animals are treated" **MAHATMA GANDHI
"You must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium. A wizard's power of Changing and Summoning can shake the balance of the world. It is dangerous, that power. It is most perilous. It must follow knowledge, and serve need. To light a candle is to cast a shadow." URSELA K. LE GUIN
windows 8..."it's so bad , people aren't even stealing it" **ninjageek

#8 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

my results there are always out of this world...great numbers...like vanity sizing...but if i really wanna know if these jeans make my butt big tmn is the looking glass i believe...not always the numbers i wanna see...but hey sometimes the truth hurts...

like right now i'm having an issue that began in early april...most likely my modem...testing here toldl me something is wrong...i called cox and they wanted me to do a test using speedtest inside their network...i said i wouldn't go by that (first off i don't go to any websites or dl anything off their network that i know of)..i told her .that i could already tell her that what it was gonna say...25+...here lately i'm getting 8 or so...so just for the hell of it i took a test there...yep...34...if i went by them i'd never know i have a problem at all...so yes these jeans right now do make my butt look big...but they lied to me
:idiot2:

i love tmn
:smitten:

Very nice testimonial... your charts clearly display where the problem happened. Looks to me like... about April 13th... Funny thing is, your upload sped up at the same time your download decreased.

http://testmy.net/st...l=250&q=tdawnaz

CA3LE.png

#9 xs1

xs1

Beta Tester

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:29 AM

I use many speed test sites. Testmy.net is by far the most " real time " results you are going to find. Other flash based speedtest sites , aka speedtest,net show your absolute best connection speed with a huge overhead buffer. That is considering NOONE around you is using the internet and you are the ONLY one online that day on your node lol.. If you want accurate, right now speed test results, i use testmy.net. I want to know my connection speeds in real life, not what they possibly can be in absolutely optimal conditions ( again due to the overhead) :smiley6600:.
*~ Member Since: September 20, 2004 ~*
Download Speed: 84188 kbps (10523.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 27346 kbps (3418.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 45 ms

Posted Image

#10 TJS

TJS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

... condensed

and yet you have a 70 mbs results from testmy.net when im pretty sure i saw that your on a 50 mb connection? :)

#11 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

and yet you have a 70 mbs results from testmy.net when im pretty sure i saw that your on a 50 mb connection? :)

Good point... but you failed to factor in that I run this site and I'm purposely trying to break things as I develop. That score is no doubt inaccurate... but it was scored that way durring trials... most likely that score wasn't even logged by the public site that you all see ;)

Here's what I scored on a combined test a few seconds ago... on the public end

Posted Image

... I also have scores that are only a few kB/s in the database --- never trust my scores out of the database, unless I post a single score... It's part of my development process.

And for comparison here's what I just got on a test moments later at speedtest.net, closest server. (15 minutes later)

Posted Image

And my server is like 1400 miles away from me.

CA3LE.png

#12 xs1

xs1

Beta Tester

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

Good point... but you failed to factor in that I run this site and I'm purposely trying to break things as I develop. That score is no doubt inaccurate... but it was scored that way durring trials... most likely that score wasn't even logged by the public site that you all see ;)

Here's what I scored on a combined test a few seconds ago... on the public end

Posted Image

... I also have scores that are only a few kB/s in the database --- never trust my scores out of the database, unless I post a single score... It's part of my development process.

And for comparison here's what I just got on a test moments later at speedtest.net, closest server. (15 minutes later)

Posted Image

And my server is like 1400 miles away from me.

Alot of times you cannot choose the closest server on speedtest.net. If i choose Tampa, which is 50 miles away, or Miami, or ANY of the close servers ; i get a 1/4th of my speed. But if i choose Atlanta GA , 900 miles away, or Huston TX , or any of Texas for that matter, i get top speeds :2funny: Go figure.
*~ Member Since: September 20, 2004 ~*
Download Speed: 84188 kbps (10523.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 27346 kbps (3418.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 45 ms

Posted Image

#13 tdawnaz

tdawnaz

TMN Secretary

• TMN Secretary
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

and besides...our img is prettier

Edited by tdawnaz, 09 May 2011 - 01:34 PM.
because apparently i couldn't spell when i posted this :-D

Final_fairy_350x140.png tdawnaz.png index38.jpg
worship me like the Goddess I am :razz:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress,can be judged by the way its animals are treated" **MAHATMA GANDHI
"You must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium. A wizard's power of Changing and Summoning can shake the balance of the world. It is dangerous, that power. It is most perilous. It must follow knowledge, and serve need. To light a candle is to cast a shadow." URSELA K. LE GUIN
windows 8..."it's so bad , people aren't even stealing it" **ninjageek

#14 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

I use many speed test sites. Testmy.net is by far the most " real time " results you are going to find. Other flash based speedtest sites , aka speedtest,net show your absolute best connection speed with a huge overhead buffer. That is considering NOONE around you is using the internet and you are the ONLY one online that day on your node lol.. If you want accurate, right now speed test results, i use testmy.net. I want to know my connection speeds in real life, not what they possibly can be in absolutely optimal conditions ( again due to the overhead) :smiley6600:.

Thanks,

Yeah, who cares about what your line is capable of. Don't people already know that when they order their service. :evil6:

I didn't originally build this site to be used by anyone except myself... it was part of my 'toolbox'. A way for me to ensure that when I left a customers house they were getting what they paid for. ... I wouldn't build or use a tool didn't serve it's purpose. (that goes for any tool) I'm not a cable installer anymore but I'm my own biggest user of the service. Many of the features the site now has came from my own need for that service. My point is... this site is a tool, not a novelty.

I'm happy and humbled that so many people have chosen my site over the years. Thanks to all the TMN supporters.

- Damon

CA3LE.png

#15 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

speedtest doesn't usually pull accurate numbers for me.. take now for instance i'm having pretty big local issues here modem keeps dropping out, signals are bad.

so when i test at speedtest its as though nothing at all is wrong.. look

Posted Image

if i go by that then i'd never know anything is wrong with my connection. but the ISPs can't fool me... i'm going to keep having them come out and look into my issue forcing them to spend thousands until they fix it and give me what i'm paying $89.99 a month for, a good company wants a happy customer and i will be one when they fix my problems which they are trying to do

if i test to testmy.net or any other speedtest site that does not use flash i see results like

Posted Image

as you can see speedtest isn't even close. even if i test to a server over 1400 miles away on speedtest its still showing incorrect results

Posted Image

RAM: Wintec XMP1600 DDR3 - 8.00GB @ 1600MHz | Video Card: Sapphire HD Radeon (Cypress XT) 5870 2GB | HDD0-3: 1.8TB
Network: Realtek 1Gb Ethernet, Asus 1Gb Switch, D-Link DIR-655, Motorola SB 6120
TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#16 CA3LE

CA3LE

TestMy.net Webmaster

• Administrator
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

so when i test at speedtest its as though nothing at all is wrong.. look

Thanks for the info, helps prove my point.

CA3LE.png

#17 SlowFreddy

SlowFreddy

Beta Tester

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Posted Image1837861228.png

Not much difference. I never get 1 meg up..

#18 TriRan

TriRan

Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

i to do not see much difference when my connection is working correctly the problem occurs when my connection is sucking, speedtest.net will say everything is fine and this site will validate that my connection is indeed sucking :P

Posted ImagePosted Image

TriRan.png
TriRan.png

#19 mudmanc4

mudmanc4

TMN Seasoned Veteran

• Moderators
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yes , it's terrible when you connections is " sucking " , in light of ???? :lol:

mudmanc4.png sigimage.gif

#20 SlowFreddy

SlowFreddy

Beta Tester

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

Internet Explorer 8. Posted Image

Also listeing to StreamTheWorld Radio..KKATAM..Salt Lake City.. at the time of test..

Pale Moon (fire fox)..Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Speed Test Version 14.10
© 2014 TestMy Net LLC - TestMy.net - Legal - Advertise