Test comment annotation

For those of us who are likely to be making tests from machines with different performance behavior, on different LANs, with different ISPs, etc., it would help in tracking statistics if one could add a short comment to each test as it was recorded in the logs. I'd think that 100, or even 20 or 30, characters would be sufficient.

If you were concerned about the content of those comments, make them visible only to (and exportable by) the member who ran the test and created the comment. They are likely to be useful only to those who know what convention they are using anyway.

thanks.

For those of us who are likely to be making tests from machines with different performance behavior, on different LANs, with different ISPs, etc., it would help in tracking statistics if one could add a short comment to each test as it was recorded in the logs. I'd think that 100, or even 20 or 30, characters would be sufficient.

If you were concerned about the content of those comments, make them visible only to (and exportable by) the member who ran the test and created the comment. They are likely to be useful only to those who know what convention they are using anyway.

thanks.

I love this idea, I've been wanting to do it for a long time. But I think I've got my database reworked to where I can add this soon.

Here's the plan, you'll be able to give each computer a unique name. So for instance, if you have 4 computers on the same connection this will make it possible to further filter your results. This feature will extend to the averages etc... so the averages you're shown will be more relevant to the computer your currently sitting at.

This is something that I've been wanting to do for a long time but I've had more important issues to deal with. I think now I'm at the point to get this implemented. I have a few details about exactly how I want to do this that I need to first hash out. But, look for it hopefully by the next version.

I love suggestions, thanks. :-D

Thank you for your continued Patronage,

- CA3LE

• 2 months later...

Tight !!!!!!! Love it for sure.

You knew someone would push you further on this as soon as you released it right ? lol , What about sub categories , say Office>laptop or Office>server , or even Office> server room > dns server , which brings up virtual servers , so Office > mainserver> sda1 or depends on what virtual manager you use.

Tight !!!!!!! Love it for sure.

You knew someone would push you further on this as soon as you released it right ? lol , What about sub categories , say Office>laptop or Office>server , or even Office> server room > dns server , which brings up virtual servers , so Office > mainserver> sda1 or depends on what virtual manager you use.

I'll definitely be expanding on it. I'll be adding customizable fields, so you can tag it with that ever you want ;)

-D

Testmy.net features expanding to categorize bandwidth test by computer / server brings a whole new level to compiling short or long term database records. Compare with other machines on your own network, as well as machines on your host (ISP) . Making certain your getting the bandwidth your cable / wireless / DSL or even dial up provider is selling.

Fantastical :P !!!!

Testmy.net features expanding to categorize bandwidth test by computer / server brings a whole new level to compiling short or long term database records. Compare with other machines on your own network, as well as machines on your host (ISP) . Making certain your getting the bandwidth your cable / wireless / DSL or even dial up provider is selling.

Fantastical :P !!!!

sounds like the makings of a great commercial

• 7 months later...

I'd be using the comment field to add occasional brief freeform comments related to the test like "Increased filesize to 2.5mb" or "Weather related degredation" or "Spot beam issue.".

just for your own viewing or for others to view aswell?

For myself, my ISP if he wants to understand the data better to implement better service, and for any others who want to analyse the causes of performance changes. All the more reason to include a QOS percentage calculation in the exported csv file. The csv is a valuable tool in the challege to improve broadband for everyone.