Mac or PC?

Christian

• 1 month later...

Why not get this going again? LOL the endless discussion.

Choose the PC if you have a significant PC software investment or you want it to be your gaming platform. Or you use software that is critical to your needs and is PC-only. Or if you are on a really tight budget and don't need much in terms of hardware and software. Apple doesn't even attempt to compete in the low budget low profit high volume computer market.

Choose a Mac otherwise. When you look at the life-cycle cost of a Mac, it's not all that different than a PC when you consider all of the hardware and software costs of both. The Mac OS is Unix based and is rock stable. I haven't had a virus on a Mac since 1991, and haven't purchased or installed any virus protection software since 1993 or so. Hardware quality is very high. I've had closed to 20 Macs between our personal ones since 1988 and the only failure I've ever had was a hard drive in the 1988 model after 5 years.

Also consider the cost of obsolescence. Regardless of which platform you buy, if you pay a little more up front for the better hardware, the machine will still be performing well for a longer time in terms of processing power, and graphics. My last 2002 Flat Panel iMac was still performing well after 7 years. By 2010, the more complex web page load times and the inability to run HQ video real time finally forced me to buy a new one - mostly because the grand kids complained about the websites they used that were "too slow grandpa". The 2003 G4 tower we have is still doing pretty well performance wise. So buying one machine rather than two over a period of 6 yrs or more is a significant savings. Mac HD and memory costs are the same as a PC-they use the same hardware, so upgrade costs are a wash.

I prefer the Mac because of it's quality, ease of use, virus-free operation, their great displays, and Apple's overall tightly integrated hardware-software environment. Both hardware platforms are remarkable machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm. Macs have always had "right click". There may not have always been a second button, but its been there. On notebooks you just tap with 2 fingers to right click.

plus i like my right click (lol just had to poke fun with that)

Umm. Macs have always had "right click". There may not have always been a second button, but its been there. On notebooks you just tap with 2 fingers to right click.

In the case of the magic mouse ... just because it only has one button doesn't mean it only has one button. It just knows how to do more with less. :wink:

You can do what dlewis23 said, also if you don't have a trackpad or don't have that gesture setup you can always HOLD 'control' then click. There are multiple ways to secondary click in OSX. OR, you can always hook up any USB or bluetooth mouse that you would use for a PC. I use a Logitech MX5500 Revolution (keyboard and mouse) on my mac mini.

You can do everything on a Mac that you can on PC... just better and with less frustration. They just work. Every time. I'm so happy with my 27" iMac that I'd even consider buying it again even if it cost twice as much. ... that's how valuable it is to me and the work I do. I do allot of computer environment testing --- My iMac is running Mac OSX Lion, Windows 7 32bit, Windows 7 64bit, Ubuntu (4 versions), Linux Mint, Debian, Redhat, Mandrake, Fedora... and about 10 other operating systems... I can run them all at the same time if I want to. You can virtualize on PC's too... but I don't think it runs nearly as well as on my setup.

... and seriously, have you seen a more beautiful, elegant machine. If a computer could be sexy... the aluminum iMac would make a nice pin-up model.

post-2-0-30826100-1327002629_thumb.png

Thanks Apple! Please understand that people that talk trash about you are ignorant... they'll understand and succumb your ways eventually. :evil6:

(by the way, this is coming from someone who HATED Apple with a passion through the 90's - now I'll never switch back. Even if you paid me.)

We hear it over and again, and again........ apple suck blah blah blah.....

Then , once actually used for a short period of time, you understand what you were missing in computing all this time. People forget who helped start the entire personal computing experience. People forget or do not know , or are sadly misinformed as to the realities in differences between a windows machine and a apple produced device. You really cannot compare them , not on the same level in any way.

Sure , if all you do is brows around looking for the latest funny , you'll be better off getting the mini, but you'll still be way overpowered. Price ? Ok go on ebay or OWC and grab something qualified by a pro for a couple hundred. Don't say price , thats a load. It could be said the same about a windows machine.

Interesting enough , when you start using an apple machine , if you normally just did emails and social networking ect , you'll soon find yourself delving into creating some of the items your passing around , with ease. And to me , thats what it's about , not just standing on the sidelines and tossing the ball back when it comes to me , it's about getting in there and getting dirty, creating whatever it is that can be created, thats what it is ! The net was and is made by just that idea, and I'm sorry to say , i do not believe , for the most part , windows promotes this as Apple does. Or any linux OS for that matter.

/rant

Life is that cut and dry to you ? I'm sorry , reading must be a real task for you at times :mrgreen:

being "Cut and Dry" in a pissing contest like this is the only way to go!

Although i do enjoy reading pissing contest threads like this, it gets old after you see repetitive post over and over a few times.

Enjoy your pissing contest !

was poking fun. like i said, macs are generally better. just like everything, macs and pc's have pros and cons...

but with the right click comment it was just poking fun. i know how to essentially "right click". IDK about you but i always hear people using a mac for the first time (my old school had some) asking how to right click.

my senior year in high school, i was a computer teacher aide. its funny how many people ask funny questions, which is why i was attempting to poke fun at you mac users ;-)

hell in that class i went as far as to remove a heatsink from a cpu to show people how things can go terribly wrong in a mere second when you're messing with components you dont know how to replace. lmao. blew a hole in the motherboard (expected). what i didnt expect was that the cpu (an old amd) only split in half...not a million peices.