Maybe my own forum can help me... for the millionth time. I rarely post questions but it's still taught me allot of what I know.

The past few days my modem or router seems to be locking at around 14Mbps. I feel like it's using one channel or something.

Here's the query https://testmy.net/st...=3&l=25&q=CA3LE ... see all of the 14Mbps scores... almost exactly the same, every time. Taken on different computers too.

post-2-0-36769400-1328282312_thumb.png dxUhXsM.t3Ygd4c.png

(bet most of you didn't know you could combine two of the same type into one share image, huh?)

Now I should probably take my own advice and connect the modem directly to first eliminate the router as a variable. But I've got too many things going on right now to take my network down. Plus, it really seems to me to be the modem... I've done this stuff for a long time, at this point I can feel where the problem is... that's my only way to describe that, lol. Why is it doing that? I thought maybe someone else knew what I was talking about and could save me from having to troubleshoot it.

Giganews Newsgroups

I can get my connection speed, or close to it on usenet. But it takes forever to ramp up. On usenet, to get to ~6000 kB/s or 46Mbps I had to download 275MB+ of information.

e.g.

post-2-0-42368400-1328282950.png

Usually, I go from zero to full speed pretty much instantly. (giganews)

What do you think?

HAHAHA

1749408046.png

... and as always, speedtest.net has NO IDEA that there is even a problem. Even though there is OBVIOUSLY a problem. Seriously guys, help me get the word out... the evidence is so stacked against their tests, why does everyone use them!!?? AHHH!

Do I dare dip my toe in on this one lol

Speedtest.net is honestly comparable to almost every ISP internal network test by Ookla, unreliable in so many ways.

Yes i know when you say feel, as much as one man can feel another man's thoughts ,........... wait , not...no , I didnt mean..... well anyhow :lol:

I would bet this is some type of quota on the ISP side, as more people are signing up for higher bandwidth connections , the infrastructure is still lacking the overall width , let alone proper engineering to allocate blocks per IP instantaneously. Gauging what available bandwidth is available on the other side of the ISP , to what is required from the " customer side " , and between mac addresses and what there allocated is an art that can only be conducted by edge hardware and experienced and bleeding edge learning.

Thats what I feel is becoming a larger issue then ever before concerning internet traffic.

Now it seemed to lock... then right at the end of the first test it sped up. Ran two more tests, third one I got my full speed.

post-2-0-53736400-1328294624_thumb.png

Annoying. I've seen it do this before briefly but it always returns to normal before I can figure it out. :-P

Now it seemed to lock... then right at the end of the first test it sped up. Ran two more tests, third one I got my full speed.

post-2-0-53736400-1328294624_thumb.png

Annoying. I've seen it do this before briefly but it always returns to normal before I can figure it out. :razz:

seems like your experiencing a WAN slowdown which in all my experience usually occurs on the router especially when they've been up for extremely long periods of time. have you tried a simple soft reset of the router/modem but the router at the least routers have RAM and cpu's just like any other electronic device and RAM can get full due to memory leaks or what have you

i typically can tell this is happening by trying to access the router config page during the issue and see if it comes up lickity split or not

seems like your experiencing a WAN slowdown which in all my experience usually occurs on the router especially when they've been up for extremely long periods of time. have you tried a simple soft reset of the router/modem but the router at the least routers have RAM and cpu's just like any other electronic device and RAM can get full due to memory leaks or what have you

i typically can tell this is happening by trying to access the router config page during the issue and see if it comes up lickity split or not

Well, now it's running great. Next time the issue arises I'll do what I always do... reset the router and modem and it will be fine. I couldn't take my network down when the problem was happening. I was just hoping that someone was about to provide insight. Very likely could have been the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

wifi -- it's all good now :razz:

i've seen my wifi experience a slowdown every now and again i think i told you that before, a simple router restart and it clears everything up

probably just the router running out of resources after being on for like 6 months straight haha

Slowdowns with wireless are normal, due to too much interference from all sorts of devices. You should check signal strength (with a program like inssider) or the connection speed whenever it's lagging.

Which router are you using?

• 1 year later...

wifi -- it's all good now :razz:

The cox tech rep just used his Motorola tablet to run Wifi Analyzer app (which I then later got from Cydia on my jailbroken iPad) at my house and showed my wifi signal dipping in strength every 5 seconds consistently. In an ironic twist I had a hunch to set it up on channel 1 18-months ago to avoid interference with neighbors' wifi only for most of them to do the same. After setting to channel 11 which no one was on I saw consistent level with no drops.

That may be your entire problem.

For me it is only part one of my slow Cox speeds; now I just get consistently slow speeds instead of sometimes even SLOWER speeds :-/