I believe Testmy.net has an Issue ?

spudler_t

I hate it when I am posting and these sites (Not just this one specifically all of them do this crap) come up with some error Like expired or some BS and you loose all teh text and images you were posting.

So for a second time I will start again

Speakeasy Test Results

Last Result:

Download Speed: 35131 kbps (4391.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 5733 kbps (716.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

SpeedTest.nets Results

1754963762.png

Speedguide.nets Results

results_img.gif

116065812.png

Now this is weird LOL

If I can get last Pic I can see upload results are Wacked For sure

HMM Wonder if I.E. 9 is giving me fits. saving this and switching over to Google Chrome BRB

You have an issue for sure spudler.

We need to find it so lets look at the clues.

First lets start at the last comment of yours , how time expired while you were typing, with IPB ( which is the forum software testmy.net uses ) your post is saved in cache while you type, so if there is an issue as so many times in the past , your content is still there for you.

What this tells us , along with that testmy.net shows your upload much higher then your download , is that you have a very real connectivity issue somewhere along the line , and the system lost connection with you while you were typing , before the first auto save of your draft.

As far a the results you see on the flash based Ookla tests , it would not show this intermittent issue you have , because from what I understand , Ookla tests many small times , not in any way as testmy.net does. SSo with Ookla or the other flash based tests done in this fashion , would simply send another test instead of seeing the issue. Where as from what I understand , testmy.net will see this as latency, just as any other real world download / upload would.

We should start looking at your internal network , if you could post what it looks like then we can get started.

Im also having the same problem. I am supposed to get 30/5 with Road runner, but here i consistently get 9/5, 12/5, 8/5, etc. Through flash-based tests (speedtest.net, speakeasy.net) I get the full 30/5, even when testing from Texas (im in new york state), and i just downloaded the spotify installer and it went at ~2.4MB/sec, which is above 20 Mbps down.

Here's my setup:

Im directly connected to my ubee DW3611 modem (gigabit ethernet, 1.0 Gbps)

I have my PS3 also hooked up to it by ethernet cable, and an airport extreme connected by cable as well (for wireless)

So what's this intermittent issue and how do I fix it. Sometimes my webpages don't load so I think this points to something like that.

i'm having the same issue...

:::.. Download Test Results ..:::

Download Connection:: 10847 Kbps or 10.6 Mbps

Download Test Size:: 12 MB or 12288 kB or 12582912 bytes

Download Speed:: 1356 kB/s or 1.3 MB/s

Tested At:: http://TestMy.net version:12.2

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/db/QCx1Tea

Test Time:: 2012-02-06 18:05:38 Local Time

1MB Download in 0.76 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~13 Minutes - 194X faster than 56K

This test of exactly 12288 kB took 9.063 seconds to complete

Running at 97% of hosts average (Road Runner)

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0 [!]

QCx1Tea.png

1756525032.png

CA3LE, this happens on all my devices. MacBook, iPhone, Win7-PC. The problem is most likely my ISP, but, what do I do when they send me to speedtest.net and it all runs fine? Am i losing packets? What do I tell them?

I know for a fact that they're revamping my local node due to mass utilization. I saw my upload speed restored (had a problem about a few weeks ago when uploads were at 97% utilization at the local node in the area, so they split the node and split the traffic) My downloads improved everywhere but on TMN. And they don't really recognize TMN. So if I could say i am experiencing _________ (data loss, packet loss, TCP/IP double-uber-triple fragmentation) maybe I could say what it is? lol

Also, this machine had run TMN just fine, my router is totally fine (factory settings... i didn't screw with it much), same with my MacBook. Both don't do very well with TMN now (see the results posted.)

CA3LE, this happens on all my devices. MacBook, iPhone, Win7-PC. The problem is most likely my ISP, but, what do I do when they send me to speedtest.net and it all runs fine? Am i losing packets? What do I tell them?

Also, this machine had run TMN just fine, my router is totally fine (factory settings... i didn't screw with it much), same with my MacBook. Both don't do very well with TMN now (see the results posted.)

I really don't know exactly what your issue is. But I'm sure that you can feel there's an issue there... otherwise you wouldn't be looking into it. To be honest with you, I'm still trying to understand how my test is able to detect all that it does. Many times I've seen people that have an issue with their cable modem. They score low on my tests but nowhere else. I'd really like to know exactly why that is. With a deeper understanding maybe I can tell the user exactly what their issues are. I just know that it works.

... just because I wrote every single line of TestMy's code doesn't mean I fully understand how it does what it does. It seriously surprises me, often.

What kind of modem do you have? How old is it? We've seen ALLOT of people here that describe the same stuff you are, they swap out their cable modem and problem solved. You may want to look into your modem itself. What I would do is go buy one at Best Buy (or somewhere that has a good return policy)... set it up, if it doesn't improve... return it. :razz: -- try directly connecting the modem to your best machine first to make sure it's not your router. When you get the new modem also test it directly to your best machine before you set it up on your network. REMEMBER, you must completely power down your modem before it will connect to a new device (e.g. you computer or router), it remembers the MAC address of the device it's connected to.

interesting. i have an Ubee DD3611W that came with the internet service (DOCSIS 3.0, and apparently this is the only one that supports it.) it is about 6 months old, but you might be right about the problem. recently i was told by my ISP it was behaving erratically because it took so long to acquire a signal after restarting it. i'm gonna look into that. i'll call time warner (my ISP)

thanks!

interesting. i have an Ubee DD3611W that came with the internet service (DOCSIS 3.0, and apparently this is the only one that supports it.) it is about 6 months old, but you might be right about the problem. recently i was told by my ISP it was behaving erratically because it took so long to acquire a signal after restarting it. i'm gonna look into that. i'll call time warner (my ISP)

thanks!

never heard of that brand before, definately not the only modem that supports docsis 3.0

i'm using the Motorola Surfboard 6120 Docsis 3.0 modem, cisco also makes a docsis 3.0 modem which is the one cox tries to push on people i much prefer my Motorola modem though it can be picked up at bestbuy for about $110 and is probably one of the more reliable modems i've ever used

~ Mark

I just switched to a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580. Result:

xBA0QuS.png

Ubee modems suck.

never heard of that brand before, definately not the only modem that supports docsis 3.0

i'm using the Motorola Surfboard 6120 Docsis 3.0 modem, cisco also makes a docsis 3.0 modem which is the one cox tries to push on people i much prefer my Motorola modem though it can be picked up at bestbuy for about $110 and is probably one of the more reliable modems i've ever used

~ Mark

Oh, I meant that that was the only one Timer Warner Cable (my ISP) was offering with DOCSIS. The tech guy that just left my place told me they started getting Motorola's because of Ubee problems.

xBA0QuS.png

Ubee modems suck.

Oh, I meant that that was the only one Timer Warner Cable (my ISP) was offering with DOCSIS. The tech guy that just left my place told me they started getting Motorola's because of Ubee problems.

nice improvement man! glad you got it all sorted

• 2 weeks later...

xBA0QuS.png

Ubee modems suck.

Glad to hear that you fixed the issue. Your running over 2.5 times faster than before... yeah, that was definitely a problem that needed looking into.

Can you please help spread the word about how speedtest.net didn't detect your issue. They're the most popular Internet speed test but nobody even realizes that they aren't really being tested there. Funny thing is, all of the ISPs are jumping on board... I strongly believe that Ookla's tests make the ISPs look better than they really are. I also believe that you've just proven that with your results. Ask the regulars here, we see the same thing all the time.

You had a physical issue that went undetected, does anyone need more proof at this point? Do the ISPs want their customers to suffer? You'd think they'd want to know when a modem goes bad, easy fix. Do the ISPs even know that the tests they're using are BS? ...or were they sold on an idea. I don't know.

... at any rate. Help me get the word out, I don't advertise and I rarely post anything outside of this site. I just develop my tests to actually do what I say they do and I truly rely you guys to tell people about it... if you agree with what I've got going on here, tell someone. That's all I ask.

- Cheers