Different Modem, Very Different Results?

Valor

Hi all,

This past Saturday I had Comcast "Blast!" internet installed in my apartment (Supposed to be 20Mbps download, 30Mbps with PowerBoost). The technician brought a Comcast modem and had it all setup, and I tested the speed a couple times over a few days and consistently got 29-31 Mbps results at testmy.net

However, that modem completely died, and I had to go out and buy a new one (their modem simply wouldnt power on for me at all anymore). I bought a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 and hooked everything up, had the connected setup etc. However, when I tested my connection at testmy.net, I had results varying from 6-11 Mbps download speed.

Other speed test sites like speedtest.net or speakeasy are giving me results of >30Mbps with the new modem though. Only testmy.net is giving me different values for this new modem.

I am concerned that the new modem may actually be limiting my connection speed in a way that the other speedtest sites are not recognizing.

What do you guys think? Is there a problem with my modem? Is my real connection speed up at 30 Mbps or is it low around 6-11 Mbps like testmy.net says?

Thanks!

Hi Valor , and welcome to testmy.net :)

I suspect that there may be ISP peering issues , lets take tests from each of the testmy.net servers , post them and break it down to where it may be more visible. Take several tests please :)

Hi Valor , and welcome to testmy.net :)

I suspect that there may be ISP peering issues , lets take tests from each of the testmy.net servers , post them and break it down to where it may be more visible. Take several tests please :)

^ what he said!

post-3263-0-24341800-1322452633_thumb.pn

Ohhh wow, I hadn't even considered that up until this point, I'd never selected a location for the speed test at testmy.net

Sure enough, when I select East Coast (I live right next to DC):

K5mxBqV.png

Central gives me a lower value:

vXwcV4B.png

And finally west coast gives the lowest of course:

CTM3mQV.png

What I find strange is, why would the location of the test change simply because I changed my modem? I wonder if that 30+ Mbps result I had with my previous modem was actually coming from central USA instead of Eastern.

In your guys' experience, are those speed differences fairly normal for those distances? (i.e. washington to dallas, washington to seattle)? Or do you think my speed is going down too much with long distance?

All in all though, seeing that higher number with the east coast does help reassure me :)

its not really normal for it to drop "that much" but a little difference can be expected

what it seems like you have there is a peering issue its more of a problem your ISP has and not really you

try giving it a little time and see if it just gets better

and actually i'm seeing an issue aswell testing from just about anywhere right now

DC

qIbDy8M.png

Central

06ws2LW.png

West

ozxMXKu.png

i know these seem high but i'm on a 60Mbit connection so its not even close to where it should be

What I find strange is, why would the location of the test change simply because I changed my modem? I wonder if that 30+ Mbps result I had with my previous modem was actually coming from central USA instead of Eastern.

To date , my knowledge is all testing is defaulted to central USA , which has been the server since 1996 ( and earlier ).

Since it's very easy to change servers, is it possible another was selected ? You have four test results to date, ( testmy.net will store for you your test results as a benefit of a free member ) but not before.

He had quite a few tests logged under his ip address

Which gives me a somewhat cool idea I wonder if it's possible to have test results a user took say earlier that day before he or she registered to be merged with their results after being registered you'd have to of course have a short time limit on it due to dynamic ip leases but it's a cool thought definitely one for a different forum

He had quite a few tests logged under his ip address

Which gives me a somewhat cool idea I wonder if it's possible to have test results a user took say earlier that day before he or she registered to be merged with their results after being registered you'd have to of course have a short time limit on it due to dynamic ip leases but it's a cool thought definitely one for a different forum

I thought they already did. Maybe they were deleted by him ? Or am I way off.