Ignore first X MB up/down

powerboost technology can make it tricky for testing but thats why especially if you have a fast connection we recommend testing with larger test sizes that way the download speed will normalize after the powerboost.

its not neccessarily 10MB-20MB though its usually just a couple seconds maybe like 5 tops

powerboost technology can make it tricky for testing but thats why especially if you have a fast connection we recommend testing with larger test sizes that way the download speed will normalize after the powerboost.

its not neccessarily 10MB-20MB though its usually just a couple seconds maybe like 5 tops

I did set the min download to 30MB. Does the test ignore initial high data rates?  For example: 20MB at 30Mbps + 10MB at 11Mbps averages to 30MB at 19Mbps (73% higher than the actual throughput). Even a 200MB test averages to 6.7% higher than it should be in this scenario, and I'd rather not download 200MB when 30-40MB will do.

Thanks.

My rule of thumb to get consistent test results is to manually adjust the test size until I get about 12 seconds of test time. This takes a little experimenting at first, but one you have that for Up and Down, you can pick the file sizes quickly enough. The only downside is that you have to do a separate Up and Down tests.

The standard Smart Tests give pretty close results, with a bit more variation. And the extra time it takes The Smart Test to get to a big enough file size gets you pretty close to the 12 second number.

I did set the min download to 30MB. Does the test ignore initial high data rates?  For example: 20MB at 30Mbps + 10MB at 11Mbps averages to 30MB at 19Mbps (73% higher than the actual throughput). Even a 200MB test averages to 6.7% higher than it should be in this scenario, and I'd rather not download 200MB when 30-40MB will do.

Thanks.

heres the thing, if your advertised speeds are 10 or 15Mbps your powerboost shouldn't be 30Mbps anyways usually its 5Mbps over your advertised at least from what i've seen,  but on a 15Mbps connection or even a 20Mbps connection like it looks like you have i would test with probably 45-50MB as far as the exclusion thing goes C@ble will have to answer that one for you because hes the programmer,

by downloading 200MB your seeing the max sustained speed your connection can do which is pretty close to your real world speed but a thing to remember is powerboost is a part of your connection so it always will play a factor in your real world connection there really isn't a huge reason to exclude it since it helps you in real world scenarios

you can probably see your sustained speeds by downloading 50-75MB aswell if your wanting to download much smaller sizes