FIOS 75/35

xs1

Sup guys. been a while since i posted some results - so i think im gunna! :azn:

This is Verizon FIOS 75/35 in Sarasota Florida - on the new Gigabit Actiontech 802.11 wireless"N" w/ "Performance Mode".

- On a side note, normally i would never post competators speed test results, but i have come to notice that verizon, although give incredible speeds, will throttle certin types of data unless being pulled by multiple streams. The first pic i post wll explain what i mean. 2 differet speedtests, comming from the same host - one with a single stream , one with multiple pull streams. For this reason i will be posting an array of results from different locations across  the country to give a fair and unbiased result stack.

post-522-0-44155500-1369898122.jpg

8t17UBm.rNfRoSU.png

post-522-0-43765000-1369898244.jpg

post-522-0-80173800-1369898480.png

post-522-0-06757000-1369898186.jpg

post-522-0-52037300-1369898207.jpg

Edited by xs1

- On a side note, normally i would never post competators speed test results, but i have come to notice that verizon, although give incredible speeds, will throttle certin types of data unless being pulled by multiple streams. The first pic i post wll explain what i mean. 2 differet speedtests, comming from the same host - one with a single stream , one with multiple pull streams. For this reason i will be posting an array of results from different locations across  the country to give a fair and unbiased result stack.

Testmy.net now has a multi threaded speed test :)

Run  a multithread download test... the same thing happens with my connection.  I'm able to pull much better speeds when I open multiple threads on my home connection.  When I do the same thing on Verizon LTE my speeds with and without that option are nearly identical... so it's really dependent on your provider.  Comparing the results with and without multithreading can really help.

... so you're suspicious that your bandwidth is being shaped? Or do you know that's what they're doing?

... there is also this server in Miami, FL https://testmy.net/mirror/sietec  -- by the way, the multithread test pulls data from all the official TMN US servers simultaneously. It will be worked into the mirrors with more cross selection options soon.

Run  a multithread download test... the same thing happens with my connection.  I'm able to pull much better speeds when I open multiple threads on my home connection.  When I do the same thing on Verizon LTE my speeds with and without that option are nearly identical... so it's really dependent on your provider.  Comparing the results with and without multithreading can really help.

... so you're suspicious that your bandwidth is being shaped? Or do you know that's what they're doing?

Download:

rfLSwX0.png

Upload:

This webpage is not available

Less
The webpage at https://testmy.net/results might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error code: ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED

UG2gOnm.png

I cannot complete an upload test here, and when i do its terribly slow. the upload test maxes my connection, but when its done and is going t load the results, it sits there for 15 to 20 seconds than posts a terrible result.

I like the multithread :)

alos, i know Verizon is bandwidth shaping- I use dc++ to share files. i usualy am part of 10 or more hubs at a time with 40 upload slots available. If a user is getting a file from me its usually between 200 and 900 kbs. if that user happens to be in , lets say 6 other hubs that im ALSO in, they will have access to 6 of my slots. in which they now have 6 uploads coming from me at 200 -900 kbs each slot. Verizon will not allow me to max my upload to 1 user unless in multiple streams.

I wonder why you're getting that error.  I've never seen or heard of that.  Does anyone else see that?  --- it's the same address you end up at when you do a download test... it's obviously not really missing.

The multithreading currently only works with the download test... I know, the upload results while you have that turned on say otherwise... I just haven't had a chance to fix that.  I'll be looking at rebuilding the upload test to allow multithreading soon.

Seems like bandwidth shaping is becoming common practice. Using the two testing methods can help users discover this about their connections.  I still believe that your true download speed is the speed rated by TMN's default, classic method... multithread is nice to know the capabilities of the connection but the linear load (as I guess I'm calling it) is a better judge of the real download speed you could expect to see in a normal transfer.  Many issues that slow users down are often masked by multithreading, so I plan on leaving the linear method as default.

... 85.5 Mbps down... very nice.  Here's what I just got with the same test.

Z7TlIDm.png

And dude, my results with the upload test suck too. But unfortunately it's the truth.

AQgkMEO.png

I look at the activity monitor and see that I peaked twice as high as that number during the test.  But if you look at the entire transfer from start to finish... the number output by TMN is totally on the money.  It sucks, but you have to take the entire result into consideration.  I started at 200 kB/s, 600 kB/s, 800 kB/s, 1 MB/s, 2.2 MB/s .... that's just the numbers I saw come in on a 2 second polling... average them... I arrive at 960 kB/s.  Trust me, TestMy.net's calculation is much more precise that averaging the 2 second polling off my network controller.   ... I don't like the numbers it tells me sometimes either, but they're always accurate.

Sometimes I get better upload speed on this connection...

bEWmCal.png

Realize that the end time of the test come before that /results address is executed.  By that time your score already calculated and about to be logged to the database... any lag will not effect the outcome.   Furthermore, the end time calculation is server-side.  As soon as the transfer is complete and that part of the program starts to execute... the calculation is actually done.  It might say calculating on your screen but trust me, once you see that... it's already done microseconds earlier and nothing can change the result.     ... in the past it was an issue, I rewrote it since.

My aim in the rebuild of the upload speed test is do bring the TiP system into the upload results and finally add a progress bar.  I think once you can see the details of how the data flowed during the test, the minimum speed, maximum and middle average... it will open some eyes as to why the scores here are so harsh.    ... it evaluates everyone the same... if there is a problem with it, me and other people wouldn't post some of the insane scores we do... also realize that the transfer file size maxes out at only 33MB, once that size is raised the accuracy for faster connections is raised.

... Many people hosting online video streaming use the upload test here because they say it's a quick and accurate gauge of the true maximum upload bandwidth potential in a video stream.  They take the number output by TMN and adjust their stream just below that and it works perfectly for them. That way they get the highest quality their connection can handle.  ... they tell me that other tests out there can't be relied upon.  So it must be doing something right.

• 3 weeks later...

there currently doing some kind of work in the area, and i like it.

GTtkrZx.png

btw weird it says 201kb on the test size, when testing it was 200mb :\

post-522-0-01529500-1371764272_thumb.jpg

post-522-0-19367200-1371764280_thumb.jpg

Edited by xs1