richard90

Fail gracefully when very bad connection

7 posts in this topic

I have a problem with my internet connection where it gets very bad from about 4-8pm till sometime the next morning, I am trying to pin down when and what is causing it and this site is very useful for that, there is nothing like it on the web.

However during the time when the connection is bad the test slows down so much, from about 5Mb to less than 100kb sometimes, that it takes so long to complete the download test that the next scheduled test is missed. It may be also that my browser backs off so much that it never completes for some reason (maybe dropped packets or something).

I have tried resetting the test but sometimes this cancels the next scheduled test and it does not continue with automatic testing.

Is there a way to have a timeout set so that the test reports ~0kb and resets so that the next try can detect when the connection starts working again?

Richard90 Speed Test Results.pdf

CA3LE likes this

Thanks for visiting Richard, I'm glad you like the site.  It's my labor of love.

This has been suggested a couple times, not exactly how you're talking about but similar.  For some people their connection craps out and causes the test to end completely.  I'll address this and your issue in my next version of the automatic speed test.

What I'll probably do to fix your issue is have it where if it's taking too long... it will either end the test and calculate based on the data it gathered already... or have you forwarded to a smaller size to hopefully get you to complete the test in a timely fashion.

What you can do right now that may resolve this is to uncheck 'express' this way the test will start at a lower value each time and adjust to what's happening at the time the test is taken.  Let me know if that helps.

.. tell your friends if you really like TestMy.net, this is word-of-mouth.

richard90 likes this

I have a similar problem.  Not only does the test stop with a very slow or absent connection, but there is no record of the failure or any partial results.  For me it would be advantageous to have the situation noted so that I could show it to my provider as part of the documentation of service lapses.  I recognize that the downside is that you might also record a computer that went into sleep mode as a failure; I'm not computer-savvy enough to propose a fix for that, but perhaps someone else could come up with a way to differentiate between the two.

jelbiz and CA3LE like this

I have a similar problem.  Not only does the test stop with a very slow or absent connection, but there is no record of the failure or any partial results.  For me it would be advantageous to have the situation noted so that I could show it to my provider as part of the documentation of service lapses.  I recognize that the downside is that you might also record a computer that went into sleep mode as a failure; I'm not computer-savvy enough to propose a fix for that, but perhaps someone else could come up with a way to differentiate between the two.

I'll keep this suggestion in mind when I dig into the next version. :wink: -- this would add a lot of value.

Mr_Boffo and jelbiz like this

On the same topic it appears that the auto test stops if the connection is lost.  That leads to big gaps in graphing if I'm not awake and aware to start a new test.  Since my primary use at present is to document my provider's performance problems I'd rather have a test that keeps trying for the number of runs I had specified.  (Someone once told me that nothing is too difficult for the person who doesn't have to do the work...)

CA3LE and mudmanc4 like this

[...]  (Someone once told me that nothing is too difficult for the person who doesn't have to do the work...)

I love this quote, how true is that!

Hi. As the above posts are 2 or more years old I'm wondering whether the suggestions discussed got implemented? Like some of the other commenters above I am trying to gather evidence about an unstable ADSL connection that often goes so slow that it becomes unusable for a time. I am running auto tests one after the other to get a week of evidence, but I often find when I check that the browser is just displaying a message "Cannot contact server, try again later" or words to that effect. On checking the results I find that the last result was several hours ago and it was a good speed. So I surmise that the connection swung down to zero or a few kilobits per second, and when TestMy tried to do its next test the browser couldn't talk to the server and that was the end of the auto testing, because presumably the browser polls the server not vice versa. Otherwise the drop-out might have happened during a test, with the same outcome.

Was there some fix to this that got added to later versions of the auto test? It's frustrating because I can't record the occurrence of the very thing I am trying to prove - that the connection becomes unusable. If this is still on the developers' to-do list could I make a suggestion for a solution design?

1. Have the client code that polls for a test implemented in a hidden frame, not the frame that displays the result, so that the polling code doesn't get nuked if the request to the server times out, and will request the next test as usual when the time comes.

2. Server does not abort the auto test if results stop coming through. Instead it records a speed result of ZERO each time a test result is expected but is not received, after waiting for a period of grace to allow for network delays.

I do hope you will consider this or some similar solution, or if you have already implemented a solution perhaps we could investigate why I'm getting the experience I described above. Many thanks.