What is "middle variance"? Is it better to be high or low?

gerry5

Welcome gerry5,

Middle variance is how much the speed varied in percentage. Only the middle of the TiP is considered. So from 10% to 90% of the progress percentage of the test... the high and low readings in that range are used to determine middle variance.

You want a low number, means less flucutation. BUT sometimes clients that have bottlenecks are present can have almost no variance... so sometimes under 5% can be a clue to something else.

Mouse over some of the words throughout the site and tooltips will popup explaining things. Just a heads up, many people may not notice that.

Happy Testing!

• 1 year later...

Just stumbled onto this site and and am very pleased with what TestMy.Net does.    I have taken the results to my Internet provider, and it has really helped my in gathering evidence of my Speed as well as fluctuation. Nevertheless, I have a question regarding the cycle. If the the service is disconnected, the autotest stops workin, so it has to be restarted again. Is there a way of having the cycle based on the PC time(clocktime) and not on the web up-time?

Thanks

• CA3LE locked and pinned this topic