mudmanc4

Windows 8.1 - what say you

Windows 8.1 - do or don't   7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate windows 8.1

• Very good - no complaints
    • Ok I guess -w works for me
    • Great Facebook machine
    • Are you kidding me - this thing is comparable to Vista
    • Is Millenium back with a new childish face ?
    • Complete trash
    • Absolutely wonderful - I love it !
    • Where did my start button go ?
    • We have not gotten new windows, we should , they leak cold air in the winter.
    • Truly makes my social experience even more fascinating then ever!
    • Cruft, cruft and oh yea, cruft.
    • I'm so happy to use my email address for logging into my machine. And if I forget or lose my password, all I have to do is change my local password, online *big smiles*
    • Oh crap - I can't install anything unless it's from a Microsoft vendor or i am logged into a Microsoft account ?
    • Geezus, leave the tablet perks of touch me to the tablets please.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

Windows-8.png

Who has been using, or has attempted to update from 8 to 8.1 , or for that matter who is using it. 

What is it like and how would you rate it ?

Wow, that poll is a lot to take in.. lol

I have Win 8.1, bootcamp on my laptop... runs pretty damn good for me.  It's fast and seems stable so far.  Although I only use it for gaming or when an application I need is Windows only so I'm probably not a good judge of its stability.  So far it hasn't given me any issues and surprisingly I've been happy with it.  

Been a long time since I've given MS a high five...  they could be in moving back in the right direction.  :occasion14:

All of my hardware works great with it, with a minor exception.  For instance, it pisses me off that I can't just plug in my headphones and have it switch automatically.  It wants to still play through the default device... should be smarter IMO.  Makes me have to close down my application or game and switch it over then restart the program to get it to play through the headphone jack.  Really nothing else besides that minor gripe.  I don't know if this is just on Macs, seems like it should work the way that I'm expecting it to.  Or has Apple just spoiled me into thinking that's how it always worked?!?

By the way, TMN seemed to load really well in the latest IE.  I'm able to pull slightly higher single thread results in that browser right now.  1-2% faster, on a 105 Mbps connection that's significant.  Shows that the browser is more efficiently processing the test data.  At the time I was comparing Windows, OSX and various browser combinations.  I tested first in OSX (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) then immediately popped over to Windows and did the same thing (with IE, Chrome, Firefox).  Results were comparable with a 1-2% variance between them.  IE felt fastest and returned the best results (~ 109Mbps).  The process was repeated, returning similar results.  IE was the clear winner each time.      

... Great job Microsoft.   ... but you still only get one thumb up from me.   :icon_thumright:    :evil6:   --- it's still very annoying compared to OSX.  On like 100 levels annoying.  Like how there are 10 different types of menus... programs, settings... gems... I lose track of which friggen menu's holding what and I end up opening all of them before I realize it's in one of the menus WITHIN the other menus.. AHHH.  I find it faster to just pull things up with the search, which works great.  I also didn't like how the FIRST program I installed took the liberty of installing shit that I didn't want, need or ask for.  In fact I specifically told it to only install the program but it still took over my browser and added like 3 other programs.  Came from cNet's download.com, some new installer crap they have.  That kind of shady, backdoor install stuff doesn't happen in Mac OSX.  Very sad that it happened with the very first average Internet download/install.  .... so that's obviously still an issue with Windows.  They need program isolation.

All and all, not bad.  Much better than 8.

mudmanc4 likes this

As a career "Windows guy" I feel compelled to weigh in here.  Microsoft has inderectly put a lot of food on my family's table, but that hasn't come without a lot of frustration with their direction at times.

The "desktop" portion of Windows 8.1 is excellent, especially when combined with Stardock's Start8. The substitution of a Start Menu with a Start Screen just doesn't make sense on desktop PCs IMO. I get that they wanted to unify the interface across all sorts of devices with or without touch, but it feels like a weird mash-up switching between "desktop" mode and "modern" mode, especially when the modern apps have not been that inviting, at least to me.  I think the unified interface would make more sense if "everything" ran in modern mode, but we're years away from that.  Even Apple hasn't tried to combine OS X and iOS too much, and when they do that further, we know it won't be as clunky as Microsoft's approach.  But I'm digressing...the Windows 8.1 desktop is the ideal platform for PC gaming and "corporate enterprise" applications (which lean heavily toward Windows), especially when there's a need to perform CIFS transfers of large files...SMB 3.0 is great (although that requires Windows Server 2012 [R2] on the other side as well).  My home PC (which is also a Plex media server for our house), as well as my "workstation" VMs for my day job, all run Windows 8.1, and I wouldn't have it any other way...it's fast and stable, and allows me to be efficiently productive.

As for laptops, on the other hand...I still prefer OS X on a MacBook Pro, from which you can RDP into Windows computers as needed (Microsoft's 8.0.9 RDP client is finally tolerable), or run VMs using Parallels or Fusion.  In my initial days of using OS X, I played around with Bootcamp, but just don't see the need for that any more.  But I'm digressing again.  As much as I like Windows 8.1, I don't want to run it on my laptop, probably because I rely on my laptop to be my "always at the ready" tool.  If it were running Windows 8.1, I'd be rebooting it all the time for updates. :blink:

The survey options regarding the Microsoft account are funny, but I do think they are on the right track with the synchronization of user profile objects.  Think how awesome it would be, if you could log in to any Windows computer, and all of your custom tweaks and application settings would follow you.  True roaming profiles is the future, and of course that gets a lot easier with a conversion to "modern" apps.

And Damon brings up a good point about those nefarious apps that try and trick you into installing bloatware...it doesn't get much more annoying than that (I can't count how many times I've had to clean up others' computers with that nonsense), but I'm not convinced that Microsoft can do much about that...except the potential future of everything being a "modern" app, where installing one thing means [hopefully always] installing only that one thing.

mudmanc4 likes this

I like Win 8.1 its smooth and quicker than Win 8, loads faster also. Been using Classic Shell for the start button since Win 8. I'm not using a upgrade but a clean install. Like I said in another topic, I had problems using the 64 bit at certain sites this being one of them. So back to the trusty 32 bit and no problems anywhere.

I thought Windows 8.1 was a significant improvement over Windows 8, and Windows 10 seems to be an even larger improvement over that.

Thanks,

EBrown

coknuck likes this