Comcast is screwing me! Please help!

IDOCSortino

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums but I've been using TM.Net for over a year now. I've always used this site as my benchmark for everything and nothing else. Starting about two months ago I noticed I could barely watch streams, download games, and now experience lag when gaming.

I've been paying for 60Down/12Up and I can't seem to get above 11Down and it usually stabilizes at 1Mbps (Which is unacceptable). I've been in contact with Comcast's Corporate Office and have had over 15 technicians, supervisors, and line techs in my house trying to figure out what's the problem.

According to them, my signal, jitter, internet, etc is working great. I've tried explaining to them time and time again that this site has been my benchmark and as of two months ago, these issues arose. They claim this site isn't reliable and point me to their Comcast SpeedTest (which is a load of shit and quite ironic).

I still have extremely slow speeds and no matter who I speak to at Corporate their only suggestion is that it's my PC and/or I should upgrade to the next package. I refuse to upgrade to a higher package when they can't even deliver current speeds I'm paying for.

I am PLEADING to you all, PLEASE help me in any way you can in proving they are wrong if not throttling my speeds. I refuse to get shafted any longer by Comcast and if they weren't the Monopoly in my area, I would've left a long time ago.

Hi IDOCSortino, welcome!

I'm confident that we can either help you improve your speed or at least help you understand why it's slower.

XzScyVF.png

You were able to see > 40 Mbps before.  It only happened once but it's a ray of hope.  Too bad it was surrounded by horrible results 10 minutes before and 5 minutes after.  I see that you also tested with multithread and those were some of your best results.  Your numbers are all over the place, are you wired or on wifi.  Is your modem a combo with a router or is your router separate?  Give us some specs on your network equipment and computers... it helps to know what you have going on.

This recent post might help, similar points.  https://testmy.net/ipb/topic/31976-verizon-and-tmnet-results-hugely-different/?p=344555

Your right, they are full of shit.  This is the only test that you can rely on.  Your experience highlights that, (highlights... circles and puts and exclamation point at the end).  Their test tells you it's fine... you know for a fact that it's not.  

Trust what you feel is true.

The question is... is it their fault or your fault. Read that post, test using my other methods... you're running windows 8.1 so I don't think TCP settings are the issue.  Test wired directly modem to the computer if you can.  Get some more data (by running different tests) and hit us back.  We'll try to help you figure it out.

Before I was connected via Comcasts Modem and my personal router. I tried taking the router out of the picture and hard wired to my computer but had the same results. As of about 3 weeks ago Comcast gave me their new modem which has a router built in and STILL same result. My first though was, maybe someone had access to my router information so I changed the password a few times (plus I can see who's connected to my router via the settings and no one was connected outside of my PC).

I'm not sure what info you need on my network but if you could explain what it is I need I am more than willing to provide it. I have a custom built computer for gaming, not sure if you need/want the specs of everything but again, if you specify I will gladly provide it if it means getting to the bottom of this internet issue.

I've been looking around and I haven't been able to find any program that would be slowing my internet. I've ran tests totally disabling my firewall and Anti Virus, with the same results. I'll run a few more tests for my download (because the upload isn't really the issue).

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me figure this out!

Have they replaced any splitters? Some times the cat5 or cat6 cables go bad causing this problem. All Telecoms like to blame the consumer for the problem but 99% of the time its them. More than likely they have over loaded the node you on and will not tell you that.  Good luck!!!

Have they replaced any splitters? Some times the cat5 or cat6 cables go bad causing this problem. All Telecoms like to blame the consumer for the problem but 99% of the time its them. More than likely they have over loaded the node you on and will not tell you that.  Good luck!!!

I have had them change the cables. They literally went through the house and replaced all Coax and ethernet cables. 

I managed to get two GIFs of me watching a stream and it having to buffer every 5 seconds. Notice it's having an extremely hard time managing to load a 2200 kbps stream. IF I was truly getting the 60DOWN/12UP this wouldn't be an issue whatsoever (which wasn't two months ago).

http://gyazo.com/f5c26879de113f937cdf2287d159b422

http://gyazo.com/955d78dd8514c75d7dfca8896b084bf9

Since I don't care for assumptions, what were the results (if any) of any one or more of the techs that visited, as far as actual usage on their machines? Such as testing / actual streaming ect... 

And if no data there, do you have another machine locally that you have the same issues with.

Have you run traceroutes to the game servers / streaming sites your using, to locate lagging hops?

Run them from router as well as local machine.

Ping any server / website on the other side of the country from you, using the 'n' flag example~

ping -n 25 testmy.net

Since I don't care for assumptions, what were the results (if any) of any one or more of the techs that visited, as far as actual usage on their machines? Such as testing / actual streaming ect... 

And if no data there, do you have another machine locally that you have the same issues with.

Have you run traceroutes to the game servers / streaming sites your using, to locate lagging hops?

Run them from router as well as local machine.

Ping any server / website on the other side of the country from you, using the 'n' flag example~

ping -n 25 testmy.net

One of the supervisors hooked his laptop up in attempt to see if it was just my computer or not. He experienced the same issues (yet no problem with my internet, right?) and my phone experiences the same issues as well. I never had problems watching a stream on my phone before, up until two months ago. Now I can't watch anything without it buffering every 2 seconds.

The latest combo modems Comcast has, from what I've seen... suck.  A friend of mine got suckered into one.  They gold sold on all services... they don't even own a home phone.  Comcast lied to them and said they needed that modem to use the phone service.  YEAH RIGHT!  Lame.  And now their service suuuuuuucks.  It ran decent before but now it's TOTAL crap.  Like 7-15 Mbps, before I think I was getting a stable 25 Mbps across their house.  When your 3 year old modem and router out perform the new stuff you know there's an issue.

Anyways.  Free is never free.

One of the supervisors hooked his laptop up in attempt to see if it was just my computer or not. He experienced the same issues (yet no problem with my internet, right?) and my phone experiences the same issues as well.

... uhhh, okay.  So then why didn't they fix it?  They left your house like that?!  "Yeah, I see the same issue on my laptop when connected to your connection... ...have a great day!"  -- wtf.  You are talking about the Comcast supervisor, right?  -- I personally think that service credits are in order, backdated to at least the date the Supervisor told you that.

Just because you've had 15 techs to your house and they 'replaced everything' doesn't mean anything.  When I was a tech for Cox Communications I saw many instances where it was a matter of getting in touch with the right tech.  Look at previous work orders and time and again the customer was scheduled with 3rd party contractors over and over and over... same result because they took the same path.  In house techs (from my experience in the system) care more.  They aren't compensated for doing the job quickly like contractors.  I had days where I called my dispatcher and said, "clear my schedule, I'm going to be at this house all day reworking it." -- contractors are too often greedy.  They may have said they replaced things when they really didn't... or did a half ass job.  A 'coffee break' job.  I saw supposed outlet reworks where the lazy asses cut the cable in the attic before the point where it goes into the wall.  Then just barrel splice it right there.  They only replaced 80% of the line and called it a day.  If you ask me, it took more effort to do it wrong in that case.  The issue was in the wall!  There are too many instances I've seen like that.  Sometimes super simple things overlooked by 15-20 techs in a row.  In house and contractors.  In house far less.

Did they have trucks/vans have the Comcast logo emblazoned on the side?  Not a little Comcast magnet or something like that, like a full truck wrap logo... ??

Another thing, side note.  Just because wiring is brand new doesn't mean it was done right.  Brand new, freshly built, $15M+ homes... we'd have to go in and cut off all the fittings and replace everything the electricians did.  Never pay an electrician to wire a cable outlet, have them drop the line with no fittings and call your cable company... better yet just call the cable company.  And request, "in house techs only please."

The latest combo modems Comcast has, from what I've seen... suck.  A friend of mine got suckered into one.  They gold sold on all services... they don't even own a home phone.  Comcast lied to them and said they needed that modem to use the phone service.  YEAH RIGHT!  Lame.  And now their service suuuuuuucks.  It ran decent before but now it's TOTAL crap.  Like 7-15 Mbps, before I think I was getting a stable 25 Mbps across their house.  When your 3 year old modem and router out perform the new stuff you know there's an issue.

Anyways.  Free is never free.

... uhhh, okay.  So then why didn't they fix it?  They left your house like that?!  "Yeah, I see the same issue on my laptop when connected to your connection... ...have a great day!"  -- wtf.  You are talking about the Comcast supervisor, right?  -- I personally think that service credits are in order, backdated to at least the date the Supervisor told you that.

Just because you've had 15 techs to your house and they 'replaced everything' doesn't mean anything.  When I was a tech for Cox Communications I saw many instances where it was a matter of getting in touch with the right tech.  Look at previous work orders and time and again the customer was scheduled with 3rd party contractors over and over and over... same result because they took the same path.  In house techs (from my experience in the system) care more.  They aren't compensated for doing the job quickly like contractors.  I had days where I called my dispatcher and said, "clear my schedule, I'm going to be at this house all day reworking it." -- contractors are too often greedy.  They may have said they replaced things when they really didn't... or did a half ass job.  A 'coffee break' job.  I saw supposed outlet reworks where the lazy asses cut the cable in the attic before the point where it goes into the wall.  Then just barrel splice it right there.  They only replaced 80% of the line and called it a day.  If you ask me, it took more effort to do it wrong in that case.  The issue was in the wall!  There are too many instances I've seen like that.  Sometimes super simple things overlooked by 15-20 techs in a row.  In house and contractors.  In house far less.

Did they have trucks/vans have the Comcast logo emblazoned on the side?  Not a little Comcast magnet or something like that, like a full truck wrap logo... ??

Another thing, side note.  Just because wiring is brand new doesn't mean it was done right.  Brand new, freshly built, $15M+ homes... we'd have to go in and cut off all the fittings and replace everything the electricians did.  Never pay an electrician to wire a cable outlet, have them drop the line with no fittings and call your cable company... better yet just call the cable company.  And request, "in house techs only please."

Well from what they told me, they saw the same issue with my service on their computer. They then pointed me to their websites speedtest and said, "From what we see here, you're getting the speeds you're paying for." I then brought them the same argument you did. Why didn't they fix it? Their solution was that, "Someone in the area might be using all the bandwidth, and thats probably why you're getting reduced speeds at times."

Yes, this was the supervisor who stated all of this. I told him I will not be "upgrading" my package considering I'm not even getting what I'm paying for now. All of the vehicles were actual Comcast techs except 2 of them. The last two weeks they came out (which was 3 weeks ago) I've been meeting with the Supervisor, line tech and two in house techs. So the past few visits all of them have been inside the house working with things. All of them which were actual Comcast employees and not outside contractors.

I guess my question is, what do I need to do to get this fixed? At this point, they're going to be shutting off my service for unpaid balances due to me refusing to for a service that isn't working as advertised. I've talked to corporate, I've even spoken to the Manager at the Executive offices, and he was straight rude to me. Stating that if I have any other techs sent out, then I will be charged.

I've already filed two reports with the FCC and still waiting to hear back. I'll be submitting another Monday. Is there any way for me to prove that I'm actually getting a degraded service without them giving me the typical, "Well, our Comcast speedtest shows you're getting the service, so fuck off" and "Well this TestMy.Net isn't a reliable site. It could be pinging from anywhere. We only guarantee speedtests from OUR site" bullshit?

So, the proof is in your results.  And the fact that the supervisor said he saw the same thing as you.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=c&d=10182014&x=30&l=100&q=673498404513

post-2-0-61577500-1413660580_thumb.png

Your multithread results are a little better but single thread can go from 1-12 Mbps.  If 60 Mbps is what you're shooting for...   :neutral:  -- you tested across more than one route (to all of the US servers) and the results are similar. You see the same speeds in your real world experience as you do with TMN, right?  They're obviously using a flawed test.  Read around the forums here and on other sites, this happens to everyone.  How they get away with it, I don't know.

ISPs that dismiss the results that TestMy.net produces should look closer.

Speed tests must be more powerful than the clients they host.  I host with Softlayer, an IBM company... anyone that doubts the power of their network doesn't know what they're talking about.  My server in Dallas is VERY fast, it always has plenty of headroom for testing.  Currently it's a dual processor 8 core Xeon 2690 with 32GB of RAM and enterprise class SSD RAID5, connected to the net by 2 1000 Mbps uplinks.  Your 60 Mbps connection is no match.  On top of that, if you do a multithread test here you can spread the load across more than one route.  My other servers are all a minimum of 1000 Mbps.  So if you select Dallas, DC, Seattle and San Jose (for instance) you theoretically have 5000 Mbps available.

You can see the load on the server at any given time in the upper right of the speed test.

post-2-0-99544100-1413661319_thumb.png

7% resources are being used... it's peak testing hours right now.  I work very hard and spend 10's of thousands to make sure my end is right.  I also have a large number of members that keep me on my toes.  If for an instant something isn't perfect... they blow my email up.  Our members are awesome and I listen to them.

By the way, Softlayer directly peers with Comcast.  I'm with Comcast and I get great results here.

wS2ujas.Z2lKyx4.png

Just maxed my connection out on wifi.  First try.

Pay your bill, sort out a credit later.  At least pay the past due.  Trust me, you'll only cause more headaches.  If you're due a credit for service you'll be more successful sorting it out if you remain in good standing.  Trust me, I've talked candidly on smoke breaks to the people that make those decisions... different company same departmental mindset.  They can prejudge based on how your account looks and it will affect their decisions.  They also look at notes that other reps make, so be nice to people on the phone (should be anyways).  They can flag notes on your account that will make you look like a jerk forever... First thing they do when you call is pull up the notes.  And really bad notes are more obvious, either highlighted or surrounded with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or **************** to catch the eye of other reps.

What city are you in?

So, the proof is in your results.  And the fact that the supervisor said he saw the same thing as you.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=c&d=10182014&x=30&l=100&q=673498404513

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 1.29.14 PM.png

Your multithread results are a little better but single thread can go from 1-12 Mbps.  If 60 Mbps is what you're shooting for...    :neutral:  -- you tested across more than one route (to all of the US servers) and the results are similar. You see the same speeds in your real world experience as you do with TMN, right?  They're obviously using a flawed test.  Read around the forums here and on other sites, this happens to everyone.  How they get away with it, I don't know.

ISPs that dismiss the results that TestMy.net produces should look closer.

Speed tests must be more powerful than the clients they host.  I host with Softlayer, an IBM company... anyone that doubts the power of their network doesn't know what they're talking about.  My server in Dallas is VERY fast, it always has plenty of headroom for testing.  Currently it's a dual processor 8 core Xeon 2690 with 32GB of RAM and enterprise class SSD RAID5, connected to the net by 2 1000 Mbps uplinks.  Your 60 Mbps connection is no match.  On top of that, if you do a multithread test here you can spread the load across more than one route.  My other servers are all a minimum of 1000 Mbps.  So if you select Dallas, DC, Seattle and San Jose (for instance) you theoretically have 5000 Mbps available.

You can see the load on the server at any given time in the upper right of the speed test.

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 1.41.13 PM.png

7% resources are being used... it's peak testing hours right now.  I work very hard and spend 10's of thousands to make sure my end is right.  I also have a large number of members that keep me on my toes.  If for an instant something isn't perfect... they blow my email up.  Our members are awesome and I listen to them.

By the way, Softlayer directly peers with Comcast.  I'm with Comcast and I get great results here.

wS2ujas.Z2lKyx4.png

Just maxed my connection out on wifi.  First try.

Pay your bill, sort out a credit later.  At least pay the past due.  Trust me, you'll only cause more headaches.  If you're due a credit for service you'll be more successful sorting it out if you remain in good standing.  Trust me, I've talked candidly on smoke breaks to the people that make those decisions... different company same departmental mindset.  They can prejudge based on how your account looks and it will affect their decisions.  They also look at notes that other reps make, so be nice to people on the phone (should be anyways).  They can flag notes on your account that will make you look like a jerk forever... First thing they do when you call is pull up the notes.  And really bad notes are more obvious, either highlighted or surrounded with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or **************** to catch the eye of other reps.

What city are you in?

I'm in Aurora, IL. Right outside of Chicago. I think the most rude I've been was to an ignorant technician who cut me off when I told him "I ran a speedtest on your Comcast page, and it says I'm getting 60 download" and told me it was accurate and that there is nothing he can do. I told him to leave almost immediately after. I went ahead and paid the bill but believe me... It's not easy paying for something you're not getting.

I mean if these results are legit (Which I definitely believe they are), how do you go about telling Comcast they are wrong? How do I go about getting the proof I need to show them their end is messed up? Is it on my end? I mean we all here know the results are legitimate but when attempting to tell a Comcast employee this, they immediately dismiss it. One technician even told me "to stop using this site because every other site is telling me I am getting 60DOWN except TestMy.Net."

I mean if these results are legit (Which I definitely believe they are), how do you go about telling Comcast they are wrong? How do I go about getting the proof I need to show them their end is messed up? Is it on my end? I mean we all here know the results are legitimate but when attempting to tell a Comcast employee this, they immediately dismiss it. One technician even told me "to stop using this site because every other site is telling me I am getting 60DOWN except TestMy.Net."

Yeah, all the other tests run the same software or use the same flawed methodology.  Other tests are purposely trying to show you the best case scenario.  I test you under real conditions.  Loading data the way it would load as if you were surfing the web.

It's possible to test to their servers using TestMy.net.  It's called Mercury Speed Test.  I've had confirmed speed upwards of 900 Mbps using that method against the right servers.  Best thing, no setup.  You can test against almost any web server online with a simple image URL.  200-400 kB images can make download tests of any size.    ---   I think it's cool... but I'm just a geek who tests bandwidth all day so what do I know.   :razz:

Yeah, all the other tests run the same software or use the same flawed methodology.  Other tests are purposely trying to show you the best case scenario.  I test you under real conditions.  Loading data the way it would load as if you were surfing the web.

It's possible to test to their servers using TestMy.net.  It's called Mercury Speed Test.  I've had confirmed speed upwards of 900 Mbps using that method against the right servers.  Best thing, no setup.  You can test against almost any web server online with a simple image URL.  200-400 kB images can make download tests of any size.    ---   I think it's cool... but I'm just a geek who tests bandwidth all day so what do I know.   :razz:

So how would I go about testing to their servers to show them my internet isn't working properly?

So how would I go about testing to their servers to show them my internet isn't working properly?

Take your pick from the Comcast Speed Test List.

I just entered 20 of those into the system, tested and confirmed all the readings in about 10 minutes.  I was able to pull over 100 Mbps on most of them and very close on the rest.  

By the way... the ones that say sys.comcast.net are the EXACT servers that comcast tests with.

Same servers, better method.  Sorry, Mercury only works with download tests right now.

Take your pick from the Comcast Speed Test List.

I just entered 20 of those into the system, tested and confirmed all the readings in about 10 minutes.  I was able to pull over 100 Mbps on most of them and very close on the rest.  

By the way... the ones that say sys.comcast.net are the EXACT servers that comcast tests with.  I got the addresses from speedtest.net's public listing.

Same servers, better method.  Sorry, Mercury only works with download tests right now.

Ok, this test was pulled from the Chicago server

post-2-0-42673300-1413670751_thumb.png

This test was pulled from Detroit: 

post-2-0-19045300-1413670750_thumb.png

This was from Texas: 

post-2-0-01270600-1413670749_thumb.png

Not sure why the Houston server is pulling so low. I retested Chicagos twice and it was around the same speed.

Some better ones in there, but really it's the same thing we already knew.  But maybe since the results are against their servers they'll be more inclined to listen.

You have a lot of proof and they should have no problem seeing that there's an issue.  Their test often scores higher than reality.  It's common knowledge, at least around here it is.  Now you have a test that uses the same servers and you can see... it's not the same result.  

If your connection allows, you can max out.  I do.

(this is using the Salt Lake comcast test)

post-2-0-96547900-1413671331_thumb.png

I'm not doing anything special over here.  It's just being delivered.

Comcast engineer here. I work on our speed test platform (it's actually Ookla's platform running on our network). Our speed test measures your performance on the Comcast network, which is what we can control and fix. It's designed such that the traffic doesn't pass onto the internet backbone.

I'm actively working on helping this customer. The issue seems to lie beyond his equipment, which can be more difficult to pinpoint and get fixed.

Comcast engineer here. I work on our speed test platform (it's actually Ookla's platform running on our network). Our speed test measures your performance on the Comcast network, which is what we can control and fix. It's designed such that the traffic doesn't pass onto the internet backbone.

I'm actively working on helping this customer. The issue seems to lie beyond his equipment, which can be more difficult to pinpoint and get fixed.

The Comcast Mercury Tests are also testing from files hosted on your network.  The routing is the same as it is using your test, it just uses my platform.

An alternative.  Your company shouldn't be telling people that my site is unreliable.  It's a lie.  My tests help your customers every day when yours fail to do the job right.

TMN has been testing your customers longer than you have by the way.  ;)

I didn't mean to come off rude. I was just hoping he'd pass the word along. Seems like every day at least one Comcast customer tells me that someone from Comcast has told them they can't trust these results. Wears on me.