Switching between linear and multithreaded affects running schedule

Sean

Before I headed off to work, I started a combined scheduled test in 30 minute intervals and had the download test configured as 'Global Multithread' with the Google CDN chosen from what I recall.

While at work, I did a few manual speed tests on my mobile and on the workplace connection and switched from multithreaded to the 'Classic Linear' test.  I was logged in on both devices.

When I returned home, the scheduled test still had a few more intervals to go, but one thing I noticed was that the last few test results shown were linear tests even though I thought I had it set to multithreaded.  So I opened up my results in Firefox (active schedule still running in Chrome) and noticed that after I switched to 'Classic Linear' on my workplace PC, the scheduled test started using that mode as shown by the UK flag on the two following test intervals above the 'Eircom' tests below:

post-248268-0-21519500-1431366523_thumb.

So for curiosity, I switched the test mode back to Multithreaded in the Firefox window and waited for the next test interval and sure enough the scheduled test ran a multithreaded test:

post-248268-0-90971300-1431366599_thumb.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or intentional, so I thought I'd report it as it caught me by surprise.  :wink:

Otherwise an idea would be to add an extra option to the 'Auto Test' page as to whether to run a linear or multithreaded test along with the various server choices, so that switching between the linear and multithreaded modes while logged in on another PC or mobile device will not affect the current running scheduled test.

Hopefully this is the right place for this report as my other bug report thread seemed to have disappeared. :huh:

When you're a member some settings that you modify on TMN only affect the computer or device that you're on others are global and affect your entire account.

I think it's a great idea to give you linear/multithread selection on the auto test page.  Then have it lock on that selection for the duration of the test even if your global settings change.  It should do the same for the server selection.  I'll keep this in mind while I'm building the latest version.

Thank you!  Great suggestion.

Before I headed off to work, I started a combined scheduled test in 30 minute intervals and had the download test configured as 'Global Multithread' with the Google CDN chosen from what I recall.

The Google CDN is being depreciated so that will no longer be an option soon.  Just a heads up.  I'll work on more alternatives.

PageSpeed Service has been deprecated and will be turned off on 3rd August 2015. You must change your DNS to point away from the service by this time, or the sites listed above will cease to function. We have created a migration page that includes assistance for changing DNS as well as information on other ways PageSpeed can be employed on your site. Please see https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/service/Deprecation.

The PageSpeed team.

Bummer.

That sure is a bummer, as their CDN performed very well.  :sad:  

The only other CDN I've had experienced with is CloudFlare, which the website Myce used about two years ago.  However, its performance was awful at the time.  Even when I tested its free service on my blog, not only did my pages take longer to load, I received notices from Google that my pages taking excessive time to load!  Myce is using PageSpeed since, so that's going to be a pain looking for a good alternative.

Based on my testing so far with TestMy, I'm fairly sure my ISP does not have great peering.  I visited a friend yesterday who has Sky broadband with FTTC (VDSL based), so took the opportunity to run a few speed tests.  It achieved roughly 70Mbps down whether I chose the linear UK or multithreaded and 18Mbps up.  On my home ISP, I typically get 2 to 3 times quicker results down with the multithreaded Google CDN test than the UK servers.  

The following are in the order of UK linear, UK multithreaded and Google CDN:

xAhakROB.png AJIF4py.png 2UMDNaz.png

For comparison, the following are the UK multithreaded (left) and UK linear (right) tests I ran on my friend's connection yesterday:

uZjXxLF.uxJabtA.png 00PwGAQW.png

• 3 weeks later...
That sure is a bummer, as their CDN performed very well.  :sad:  

You'll still be able to test with Google's servers just not the exact same way.  You'll have to use the Mercury Speed Test system.

Here's one that works awesome for me all the time. lh3.googleusercontent.com Mercury Speed Test

Result I just ran on my laptop... 

3zO2x4p.png

post-2-0-60337600-1433038503_thumb.png

Using that same test on one of my commercial connections I was able to see nearly 600 Mbps, again... confirmed by the client network controller.  Google has very fast bandwidth and very quick responding servers, ideal for this test.

You can search the Mercury index for other Google Speed Tests or make your own to nearly any web server you want to test against.  Not many people realize that TMN does this.  Find one that works good for you and bookmark it.  If you like the Google tests, go to the Google Speed Test page, scroll down and click "Custom Index"... then when you visit testmy.net/mercury it will show your favorites.  You can custom index by city, state, country or ISP (that the test is hosted on).

Happy Testing!

You'll still be able to test with Google's servers just not the exact same way.  You'll have to use the Mercury Speed Test system.

Here's one that works awesome for me all the time. lh3.googleusercontent.com Mercury Speed Test

I just tried that lh3 one by clicking the link and it worked very here.  No where near as impressive as your speed, but fast for me considering I did this with the 2 bar 4G signal I get at my workplace:

TOSYqtG.png

That's also the quickest I've seen on 4G with TestMy, so I'll bookmark that one. :cool:

Even still, that's over twice the speed my workplace can get on its rather expensive business DSL connection as this area does not have VDSL yet.

Thanks for this tip. :icon_thumright: