Intro, question, and suggestion, Oh My!

dpitman

Just wanted to "officially" say hello in the the correct category; Hi Guys! (including gals of course if there are any)

What a great job Damon has done here!

Firstly,  I am really jealous of the bandwidth some of you folks have.  Even the speeds that you complain about, lol.

I live only 50 miles from Seattle,  yet there is no DSL, no cable, no BPL.  My choices are satellite and a couple of small companies offering wireless Line of Sight or Near Line of Sight solutions.  I had been with one of them for about 5 years, and the download speed went from an average of 800 Kbps in the beginning to 500-0 Kbps recently.  So, I've switched to the other provider.  To be able to achieve near line of sight to their Access Point,  I had to install the 2.4 Ghz radio 75 feet up in a Douglas fir tree.  I've had the service a little over a week so far now.  The service is supposed to supply 3.0 Mbps download.  It does on occasion, but not very often.  So far, they seem willing to try and improve the connection.  I got tired of running a speed test here and there when I was at home and able to, and so my search began for a better way to gain an understanding of what the connection was over time.  Obviously I found TestMy.net and the auto feature is working well to establish that understanding.  Coupled with a task in Windows that wakes my pc up 5 min. before the scheduled test, and then goes back to sleep 5 minutes later.  My data is starting to stack up.....Thanks Damon! 

I'll drop a noob question in now.  When a test completes, one of the metrics is "some % faster/slower than your average" (see screenshot).  Since this differs from the average listed in my graph of all data points, what time frame is that metric generated from?

Now a suggestion.  For the Auto test function, add a time parameter that can be set rather than just a start button.  For example.  If I want my auto testing done at the top of the hour, I can just set that and hit start, and at the top of the hour, the series will begin.  It's not that big of a deal to just wait for the top of the hour and hit start, which is what I did.  But it would be handy.

In conclusion, I've read a fair amount of the FAQ threads, and have taken the advise to download and run TCP optimizer. Unfortunately, I don't think there was too much improvement, if any,  in my meager bandwidth.

Anyway, thanks again for your work here, Damon.

post-249458-0-47534500-1432615032.jpg

Just wanted to "officially" say hello in the the correct category; Hi Guys! (including gals of course if there are any)

What a great job Damon has done here!

Firstly,  I am really jealous of the bandwidth some of you folks have.  Even the speeds that you complain about, lol.

Welcome!

Sorry I'm just getting to this topic, getting over a nasty cold... well over a week but I think we're at the tail end now.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Seriously, some people need to try out 2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up before they complain... but then again, 2 Mbps was something to be jealous of back in the day.  Sh*t, your 1 Mbps upload, I didn't see that at my house until...

J1HQ3WA2M.png

June 06 2006!  Thought it was faster by then but I guess not.  Your upload is fast compared to your download.

I'll drop a noob question in now.  When a test completes, one of the metrics is "some % faster/slower than your average" (see screenshot).  Since this differs from the average listed in my graph of all data points, what time frame is that metric generated from?

Right now on the test results page...

• Comparing to yourself it's calculating your last 5 results for each test type.  
  • Comparing to your city, country and ISP (provider) it's calculating the last 30K results.
  • Index is calculated every 2 minutes based on all tests for each type world-wide.

Now a suggestion.  For the Auto test function, add a time parameter that can be set rather than just a start button.  For example.  If I want my auto testing done at the top of the hour, I can just set that and hit start, and at the top of the hour, the series will begin.  It's not that big of a deal to just wait for the top of the hour and hit start, which is what I did.  But it would be handy.

There's a problem with that, if a large percentage of people all tested at the top of the hour at the same time it could cause issues.  Especially if they all had massively powerful connections.  The way it is now, there are often many people testing at the same time at any given time but not thousands who all decide to hit at the exact same time each hour.  I'd worry about that feature on scale... especially if the site is hit with redit traffic again.  I like the idea... maybe could be implemented where the system checks how many other people are scheduled during that time and will only allow a certain amount of people in each slot.

In conclusion, I've read a fair amount of the FAQ threads, and have taken the advise to download and run TCP optimizer. Unfortunately, I don't think there was too much improvement, if any,  in my meager bandwidth.

TCP Optimizer can only help when the bandwidth is there to begin with.  I think you're probably utilizing the connection to it's full potential... it's just lacking potential.

Can you get any cable provider at your house?  I'm guessing you've already exhausted your options, huh?

You're welcome.  Happy to help.  Thanks for your continued patronage.

Hope the cold is history

There's a problem with that, if a large percentage of people all tested at the top of the hour at the same time it could cause issues.  Especially if they all had massively powerful connections.  The way it is now, there are often many people testing at the same time at any given time but not thousands who all decide to hit at the exact same time each hour.  I'd worry about that feature on scale... especially if the site is hit with redit traffic again.  I like the idea... maybe could be implemented where the system checks how many other people are scheduled during that time and will only allow a certain amount of people in each slot.

Good point.

Can you get any cable provider at your house?  I'm guessing you've already exhausted your options, huh?

Yeah, no cable; And, too far down the road for DSL, Not enough lots (customers) to motivate cable or phone company to upgrade equipment..bla.bla bla.  Supposedly, the FCC wants broadband treated like phone service.  The law requires that if a company wants to provide phone service to an area, they HAVE to provide it to everyone that wants it in that area whether "there are enough customers down that road" or not. We'll see if this is ever implemented for broadband.

Anyway, an update to my story.  Turns out when it is really foggy, or rainy, my connection is even worse, like almost nothing.  So this weekend, several more trips up my fir tree to change out the wimax radio for a different one, and reoriented it to a different AP.  The connection has improved to 3 Mbps down.  But it is clear and sunny.  We'll have to wait for in-climate whether for a true test. ; )

Another interesting thing is that before, testmy.net reported a slightly slower connection when compared with speedtest.net.  Now the opposite is true with the adjusted connection.  I'm guessing that means that the quality as well as the speed is improved?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I'm Chris, just signed up. I have to say this site is very cool, looking forward to meeting you all. Here's my internet speeds,  :cool: what do you think?

R, Chris

fYPcKpCx.png

Thanks :) -- I'm CA3LE, nice to meet you.  Very nice speed. :wink: -- Welcome to TestMy.net!