Question about speeds

raw0ats

Hey everyone,

I just purchased the 100 down/ 100 up package that Frontier offers. According to speedtest.net I am getting around 90/55 on that testing service. When I test on this site it shows that I am getting around 55/26. Which number should I really be trusting here? Do you guys think it is worth it to bring up to my ISP about the discrepancy between speeds that I am actually getting to what I am supposed to get "up to" 100/100? The package below the one I purchased is 50/50. So technically if the numbers from this site are more generally accepted then I am paying more for the speed I am getting than I really should.

Just a FYI, I have done this same thing more times then Anyone ever should have to ( tell the ISP their "Speedtest Site" Sucks @#$.

I have argued with technicians until I was about 1 straw away from a homicide case with me as the only person of interest, I get the same thing each time that this site (Testmy.net) is incorrect and their site is correct, Finally I figured the way to shut them down at the first letter of their sentence of BS and Lies.

Thanks to Testmy.net I have a immense amount of test history data.

I can pull data from quite awhile back ( sorry I do not know exactly how long) and I can then say I don't give a rats @#$ what they recommend or think is the accurate test site I can show I was getting this speed at this date and This speed at this date and then for no reason I had this issue say when my modem went south and was allowing me (back at date of story) 20 Mbps Down and like 700Kbps up when it should of been 5 Mbps up. 

Which in reality really messes with your down as you cannot reply as fast as you shoudl so everything is delayed longer.

I personally hate dealing with any Tech from any ISP as they have tried to blame anything and everything for the issue other then their own system or hardware.

I have been told maybe my computer is outdated back in 2011 when I just purchased the ROG ASUS G73-SW it was the Top of teh top at that time.

They have blamed my internal house coaxial ( Big mistake before looking into my account) I had the Extra fee in case of issues that they would replace wiring free so I made them replace every last inch and every splitter etc.

If I remember correctly ( which lately is really a stretch remembering who I am and why I am here) 

If you can achieve 90% of the paid for speed I believe they consider that awesome, Maybe it has changed since speeds have went up so much last few years but I think personally 95% or greater should be what we are entitled to.

I mean if I purchased a race motor and it was stated to produce say 1000HP and 750 Ft/Lb torque and when I did a dyno on it I was only getting 900 HP and 675 Ft/Lb of torque I woudl be highly Upset.

Anyway just thought I woudl share my 2 cents or as long as this was I guess 11 cents worth

I just ran the multithread test for download speed and got around 76. I didn't see that there was an option for multithread for upload but i ran it anyways since I had it enabled and it was still around 26. I went out and bought a new router to see if maybe the router that they didn't give me for free like they said I was going to get would do any better. I ended up walking out of best buy with the linksys 1200ac+. I am not seeing any increase in speed for myself but honestly I am not surprised.

Here is the interesting part in all of this though. My sister also bought a new mac book pro while we were at best buy that has ac wireless connectivity. I ran the testmy on her laptop using the new router and she was getting 60 down and 70 up on wireless.

This has me thinking that I need to look into my pc and make sure the bios and everything is completely up to date and re-test. I am thinking I am losing a lot in that aspect because I haven't updated my bios in like 2 years. I am also running a pretty long ethernet cable to a switch into my room so maybe the length of the cable has something to do with it. I doubt the switch is causing any problems because its a gigabit switch. All the cabling throughout is at least cat5e also.

I do agree with you spulder. I doubt if I bring any of this up to Frontier they are just going to tell me to run their speedtest where it shows I am getting like 80/50 and they will say that is adequate. The funny thing is when I ran the speedtest.net on my sisters macbook pro it was saying she was getting 98/80 which is pretty hilarious.

With that router, try plugging in a USB hard disk into its USB port, then upload and download some large files such as a 500MB video with the hard disk.

This will roughly give an idea of what your Ethernet connection is capable of handling.  If you get a transfer speed of about 12MB/s each direction, then the cable is connected at 100Mbps.  If you get over 100MB/s, then the cable is running at 1Gbps.  A speed in-between (e.g. 50MB/s) means there is a bottleneck somewhere, such as the hard disk if mostly filled or USB2 connection.

In theory, the speed you get from the USB attached hard disk should be what you could get with a fast enough ISP. 

On the other hand, if you get the equivalent upload speed to the hard disk as the TestMy test, i.e. just over 3MB/s (26Mbps / 8 to convert to MB/s), then the bottleneck is within your network or computer.

I will have to try that test. I eliminated the network switch I was using and just connected my pc straight to the router and I ended up getting 70 down and 26 up the other night when I tested it. I believe that is only a slight improvement on just my download speed. I also thought about the possibility that my onboard nic would be bottlenecking me but testing like you said should show that. It seems obvious that the network switch I was using must not be the greatest but I don't know why it would cause problems like that.  Any thoughts on any of this?

Most network switches I've used over the past 10 years seem to have no noticeable impact on network throughput.  I remember trying a basic D-Link 1Gbps 8 port switch about 5 years ago between four computers with Gigabit LANs and attempted to "Stress test" it by transferring a few large files between the pairs of computers, measuring the throughput.  I got a fairly constant 105MB/s, which for a pair meant the switch was handling 210MB/s or about 1.7Gbps of throughput. 

Then again, I have run into failing 100Mbps switches in the past (before 2005 when I worked for an IT support company) where faulty ports gave the impression of a congested connection.