100mbps down in office of 30

blurr123

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if my speeds are what I should be expecting to get.  We have Comcast Business, (100 down 30 up I believe) split up to about 30 wired computers.  

My speed varies a lot depending on how many people are streaming at the office but  I usually test in the range of 3-5 mbps download speed.  

Is that expected?  Would I have a limit of 1/30th (30 computers) of the total bandwidth or could someone be hogging that?  How can I find who the bandwidth hogs are?

Thanks!

First thing I might do is get some sorting done on your LAN, in other words get something going which explains IP's and traffic data, ports and more or less what is passing through your network. 

What are you using at the moment to control the situation ie: windows,linux,BSD a switch, one or more even any combination of these or a plethora of other technologies are handling the basics. Find this out and then we can determine what options we have. 

Mudmanc, the modem goes to a sonic wall then to a Netgear ProSafe 48-Port Gigabit Smart Switch which goes out to each computer.

We dont have a server (should we?)  We do everything via MicroSoft 365.  

How would I go about "sorting"?  If I log into the sonicwall would I find that info?

thanks!

Depending on what firmware version it's running you would be looking at the dashboard objects, specifically 'Real Time Monitor' , which can be broken down into exactly what the users are accessing, from twitter to youtube, documents ect...

You can also check interface traffic, if more than one VLAN, wireless, or other connections run to the switch. 

The switch could also have QOS or filtering to manage how much bandwidth each interface is allowed. But first I might find out how much of the available bandwidth is being utilized. 

If you do not have a server for anything now and business is not using some secondary means, ie: dropbox to get documents to clients, you could simply use what comcast offers with most business class lines.