Slow Speed test results and slow internet, Normal P2P speeds

Jaysmith012

When using Testmy I am getting 10.1 Mbps but my internet speed is 24 Mbps. When I run the speed test it seems to start at 24 Mbps but rapidly goes down into the area of 6-10 Mbps. The weird thing is when I test my speed using a test torrent I am getting 24 Mbps,  downloading games on Steam are at the correct speed of 24 Mbps as well. Browsing the internet and watching YouTube videos does not seem to be at my normal speed as lower quality videos have to take time to buffer. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue where my internet browsing speeds are slow but Torrents and Steam seem to be normal?

I have tried this and the issue occurs on both a Wired and Wireless connection.

Hi Jaysmith012, welcome to TestMy.net!

Here are all of your results, so other people can easily see what we're talking about.

https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=c&d=02262016&x=30&l=50&q=222494883924

Most recently, one of your better results...

https://testmy.net/db/_m2qTF147

... and one of your worst results, only 8 minutes earlier...

https://testmy.net/db/n-th974OQ

7 hours ago, Jaysmith012 said:

downloading games on Steam are at the correct speed of 24 Mbps as well. Browsing the internet and watching YouTube videos does not seem to be at my normal speed as lower quality videos have to take time to buffer.

First thing you have to understand is how TestMy.net works by default.  It's single thread.  TestMy.net's classic download test that you've been is going to give you the best representation of your true useable speed.  Youtube videos and many other things you do are a single stream, if you can't perform on that single stream youtube is going to downgrade quality and buffer.  

I see that you haven't tried the multithread speed test yet.  I would bet that you'll be able to max out your connection using that method.   Downloading games on Steam and torrents are multithreaded, the files are split and come in multiple streams.  Combining them may get to your maximum line speed but a healthy connection should be able to do the higher speed in either test.

In other words.  Your connection is performing well when you download a bunch of things at once.  Add the speed up of all the smaller chunks and you have your full package speed... but if you try to do only one thing at a time it can only reach a fraction of the speed.

Give us more information about your router, modem, computer and how it's connected to your network.  Also, if you can, directly connect the modem to your best computer and test to see if there is any improvement (you'll have to power cycle the modem to have it assigned to your computers MAC address, do the same to put it back on the router).  Eliminate as many variables (like wifi and your router) as you can.  This will help establish if it's a fault on your end or if it's outside of your control.  ... share your results with us.