nanobot

27in iMac 5K Retina

28 posts in this topic

Does anyone have one of these? I'm looking at buying a Mac here shortly, and I'm currently stuck between the 27" 5K Retina iMac, and the 15" MacBook Pro.

Any advice on either choice?

Thanks,

EBrown

I have the 5K iMac and a Retina Macbook Pro.  Both are flawless machines, each with maxed out specs and 1TB PCIe Flash.

The iMac is my favorite work environment, especially since the 5K Retina came out.  You really can beat it as an input output device to get a lot of work done.  I can get a lot done on the macbook too but I always find myself jumping on the iMac when I really want to get down and dirty into something.  It's just super comfortable.  

If you don't really need your computer to be portable... 5K iMac all day.  Get it with PCIe Flash Storage...  Takes it to a HNL!

I'm currently leaning towards the MacBook Pro right now simply because my current laptop is junk (it was a refurb when I bought it) and I think I'd rather have the portability to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

EBrown

Well, you can't go wrong there either.  If you need portability then an iMac wouldn't really help. :-P

What size and specs are you looking at?  Build it on Apple's site and post a screenshot.

On 2/26/2016 at 2:53 PM, CA3LE said:

Well, you can't go wrong there either.  If you need portability then an iMac wouldn't really help. :-P

What size and specs are you looking at?  Build it on Apple's site and post a screenshot.

See thats what I'm talking about, a portable device with the power of a full blown iMac YEA!!!!!!! Yes, 27" too :laughing7: *not kidding

On 2/26/2016 at 0:53 PM, CA3LE said:

The 15" MacBook Pro Retina with the 2.2Ghz CPU, 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM. Nothing special about it, only $2000. Need it to get into Swift programming and iOS development.

Thanks,

EBrown

Edited by CA3LE
added wikipedia link
CA3LE likes this

I asked because Apple should be dropping a 15" MacBook soon... although we don't know if you can get it with that much RAM yet.  For what you need it for, it may be a cheaper, lighter option with better battery life... and it will probably run much cooler.

I think that Skylake Macbooks will most likely be released on March 15th 2016.  Major performance and efficiency gains over Broadwell.    tick ... TOCK [ref]

If they drop a 15" MacBook, then I agree. That may be the better option.

I wish they still had the old 17" MacBook Pro option.

Thanks,
EBrown

18 hours ago, nanobot said:

Well, got my iMac, got it setup (and yes mudman, I installed Little Snitch).

Thanks,

EBrown

Little Snitch is a great application firewall, the software gives much required information pertaining to who is talking / sending data to where and when.

Now get yourself setup with a packet filtering firewall such as pfsense, in front of everything else. You can still manage AD and all associated services through the appliance. Since I know your a windows guy.

How's that mac, as if I had to ask lol Bad A$$ I'm sure.

4 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

Little Snitch is a great application firewall, the software gives much required information pertaining to who is talking / sending data to where and when.

Now get yourself setup with a packet filtering firewall such as pfsense, in front of everything else. You can still manage AD and all associated services through the appliance. Since I know your a windows guy.

How's that mac, as if I had to ask lol Bad A$$ I'm sure.

It's pretty nifty so far. I really like this keyboard, it's extremely crisp and smooth.

The display is really, really clear. Everything is extremely sharp and easy to read, which is quite helpful.

Thanks,

EBrown

3 hours ago, nanobot said:

It's pretty nifty so far. I really like this keyboard, it's extremely crisp and smooth.

The display is really, really clear. Everything is extremely sharp and easy to read, which is quite helpful.

Thanks,

EBrown

Does it come with the 'flat' keyboard?

I've got one of those, it really takes a beating. I prefer however a tactile KB for allday use.     

On 3/27/2016 at 11:05 PM, nanobot said:

So I'm going to the Apple Store on Monday to pick up a 27" iMac.

Thanks,

EBrown

Nice!  Post up your specs.

You now have the most productive computer known to man...  That computer interfaces so nicely it's like diving into the computer when you use it.  

Great choice!  :occasion14: 

Still no Skylake on Macbook's... I feel like that's going to hit soon.  Your iMac has it though! :headbang:  --- 20-25% increase in speed over Haswell.

10 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Nice!  Post up your specs.

You now have the most productive computer known to man...  That computer interfaces so nicely it's like diving into the computer when you use it.  

Great choice!  :occasion14: 

Still no Skylake on Macbook's... I feel like that's going to hit soon.  Your iMac has it though! :headbang:  --- 20-25% increase in speed over Haswell.

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 02.21.27.png

I like it a lot, so far. It's doing everything I want it to (and more) with ease.

10 hours ago, mudmanc4 said:

Does it come with the 'flat' keyboard?

I've got one of those, it really takes a beating. I prefer however a tactile KB for allday use.     

Yeah, and I really don't mind this keyboard at all. It is really easy to type on.

Thanks,

EBrown

mudmanc4 and CA3LE like this

Yeah, it's working out pretty nicely so far.

I need to get a good development IDE (for non OS X/iOS stuff) that doesn't suck horridly. I'm currently playing with Atom (https://atom.io) which seems to be working pretty nicely.

Thanks,
EBrown

Atom is what I went with on debian. OSX is coda2

None the less Atom is the most hackable freaking IDE outside of EMACS

Atom seems to be working out really well, I'm currently trying to get the hang of all the shortcuts and such and how to use it properly, but it's really handy.

The UI for it is extremely clean as well, it feels like a proper OS X editor.

Thanks,

EBrown

mudmanc4 likes this

No, it's straight forward.  That memory is perfect and maxes her out.  

Sweeeeeeet.  Let us know how it runs.