Optus Sydney Crawling - Options/alternatives?

bigafrodaddy

I have Optus ADSL2+ that has regressed to almost 56K modem speeds! It's been like this ever since I moved into this apartment around 3 years ago. I'm approx 2kms from the exchange and have been advised that I should be getting speeds of around 7-12Mbs from the exchange to my connection. At the moment I'm only getting around 3.5Mbs. I've spoken to Optus Tech plenty of times and had 3 technicians come out and have a look. They appear to be all contractors and haven't really provided any improvement to speed. The only improvement I have had is when they were able to change settings at the exchange over the phone. In any case it was only marginally better. 

I am a professional sports photographer and run an independent media company and need to upload a stack of files each week but the speeds are killing me. I've read/tried modem tweaks but there's not much use when the line speed is only measuring 3.5Kbs.

Anyone else having similar issues with Optus or other ISP's in Sydney?

Anyone have any recommendations of how to progress this issue? I have booked in a 4th technician and I have confirmed that it is an internal Optus techie who will bring their own modem! (That's a first even though you'd think it was testing 101)

Anyone able to recommend a fast and stable internet provider for Sydney. NBN isn't available just yet with no rollout time available.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I am in Sydney (Strawberry Hills area) but with Telstra.  I've been going "around the bend" suffering slow connection speeds fo 4 weeks now.  The likely point of slowness could be the copper wire to your house.  I have been down the "It's your line inside you house", It's the "splitter connecting your modem/phone, and all that re-set the modem script".

It's never their problem . its our problem with our hardware......

" I have Optus ADSL2+ that has regressed to almost 56K modem speeds! It's been like this ever since I moved into this apartment around 3 years ago. "

That's a long time to be in a time warp .....................

speed test 3a @ 9pm - 030316.jpg

speed test  @ 1pm - 060316.jpg

Plug your computer directly into your modem Ethernet connection. Check the speeds on TestMy at various rimes of the day. If the speeds are good, and they're still bad when you connect somewhere else in the house, it's likely the problem is within your house. If the speeds at the direct connection are bad, it's either the modem itself or outside the house.

• 4 weeks later...