Fast mobile 3G speed test

Sean

Despite all the hype over 4G these days, I recently decided to go back to 3G with my mobile provider.  What's really surprising is just how much bandwidth they can squeeze even over 3G as I remember when 4G first launched, the maximum speed I've seen with any 3G provider was about 8Mbps, with speeds of 3Mbps or less being more common.

The following is a speed test I conducted just a short while ago with my mobile operator Meteor in Ireland.  This is HSPA+ (3G), which I'm paying €10/month for and has a 7.5GB cap.  Sure I could pay €10 more for 4G and double the cap, but I wasn't even getting 1/10th this with my previous mobile provider Three on their 4G network!:

pxF12JWkV.8vW4Gw9ft.pngPhone on 3G.png

I would be curious to to see if anyone else is getting anything better with 3G.  Even the Vodafone 4G network here which is hyped for delivering 100Mbps results on Ookla was only delivering about 20mbps at times with TestMy when I tried their network for a month back in January. 

While many areas still give about 10Mbps with Meteor, for me it's still fast enough for pretty much everything I do with my smartphone, including YouTube in HD. 

Edited by Sean
Added phone screenshot