intermitted download and upload speeds. Testmy Download test doesn't work very often at all.

brianellermets

I've been having issues with my dish network internet. (surprise hehe)

Here is what happens:

First off I have my PC plugged directly into my modem, bypassing my router. Everytime I power off and on my modem, the download and upload speeds change. Right now, after cycle powering the modem about 5 times, I have (google speed test - 8.7 MBPS down / .09 MBPS up)  (speak easy 10.81 mbps up /.19mbps up). I am paying for 5-15 down and around 1 up. My provider requires some test results from testmy.net, but when i try the download test here it does not work most days, so they suspect the problem is with my PC.

I was wondering if anyone has had similair problems with the download test not loading. It goes to the screen and starts to download the file, but its goes straight to 100%, then tries to load the results page and just sits there for ever(5+ min)  trying to load. The upload page will usually not work due to my upload speeds being so slow. The other day affter cycle power my modem a few times good told me i was at 15 down and 1.5 up. I then was able to run all tests from testmy.net with no problems. The speeds then from testmy showed as 8-9 mbps down and 1.5 up.

Today ive cycle powered it many times with no fast speeds. the results above are the best i've got, but i'm confused why the testmy download test won't work.

I suspect my modem is going bad. It's a HT1000.

I would call your ISP and have them run some tests on your equipment remotely. If they say it's OK, call them back after a bit of your own testing. Be patient and polite and be persistent with them. They'll usually eventually escalate the issue.

When testing linear, check that the test server you're using is one that's closest to you - link at very top of home page. 

problem solved. I waited to call dish network until my speeds were showing very low, and the lady finally said she saw a problem on their end. The technician came out and the first thing he did was replace the HT1000 modem with a HT1100 modem. He said Dish is telling them to do that on every service call they get. After that, the download speed is 15mbps and the upload is 1.5mbps and that is through my router.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear that.

General rule of thumb for me, modems now a days don't last more than 1.5 years before they start to die on you. 

(Funny how I just finished power cycling my modem before reading this). It just dies. No reason. (I assume heating up... since its now warmer than when I originally got it).

Eitherway, Glad to hear everything got resolved!