Slow WAN connection on Win7 on 1 computer

rstark18

I have a Win 7 machine (Dell 660S) that when I go to testmy.net I get 39Mbps down and it's always been pretty rock solid in the past at around 115Mbps. I have a 100Mbps internet connection. 

I started by testing all the usual things (new cable, different port, deleted/reinstalled driver). At that point I thought maybe the card was going bad but I decided to try one more thing. I ran Linux off a USB stick and bingo speeds were at 115Mbps.

Before I reinstall 7 is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this to figure out where things are going bad?

Also, all my other machines on this network both wired and wireless easily are in the 110Mbps to 120Mbps range using testmy.net. If I use dslreports.com/speedtest I DO get a speed of 120Mbps on the Dell but that is a multithreaded test and from what I've heard not as good an indication of true speeds. If any of that makes a difference in figuring this out.

• 2 years later...

Hi @rstark18

That is unique, but curious do you have a crosspatch/crossover Ethernet cable? Reverse it. (Flip the connection put the end from the router/modem to Dell, and the other end from Dell to router/modem). Even if it isn't a crossover cable, it sometime does the trick (specially if the cable is old), one of the troubleshooting steps some ISP use.

Other than that, it sounds like a driver issue. Since Linux had no problem on the same hardware and cable getting the desired speed.

I mean it is "Dell from Hell" after all, have you already done a clean install since you posted?

Was the driver updated (uninstall and reinstalled) from Windows "auto" driver finder or Dell's website, or the manufacture website? (manufacture of the network card/mother board if its integrated, which I think it is, after quickly looking up Dell 660s mini desktop)

On side note: Different port on the modem/router? right? I assume you don't have double Ethernet port on your PC, because that would mean you have a secondary network card for no apparent reason.