Result not what expected

Chais82

On 5/2/2017 at 9:23 PM, Chais82 said:

Verion Fios 89.99 for internet, phone and tv. I pay for 940/880. Did the test while streaming on two tvs.

6266413490.png

test.png

Your TestMy speeds of what you're really getting is only 35 Mbps. 

6270858028.png

$69 monthly for 50/50.  Of course, I can subscribe to phones and TV for the same price if I were a new customer, introductory price.  The loyal customer price after 33 years is more however.  Used to be Verizon, now Frontier Communications and 11 billion dollars later.

20 hours ago, gsuburban said:

6270858028.png

$69 monthly for 50/50.  Of course, I can subscribe to phones and TV for the same price if I were a new customer, introductory price.  The loyal customer price after 33 years is more however.  Used to be Verizon, now Frontier Communications and 11 billion dollars later.

Post your speeds tested here with the TestMy tools. The OOKLA test numbers don't really tell you your internet speeds. Go to the Extras tab above on this page and ready why.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:25 AM, Pgoodwin1 said:

Your TestMy speeds of what you're really getting is only 35 Mbps. 

I noticed this. I assumed it was too fast for testmy.net or just my pc and its hardware slowing the results down due to the way testmy.net does its test.

Maybe I'm just ignorant. And I know a lot of work goes into this site. So i mean no disrespect. But this site's test results are always all over the place. But when I test on other sites like speedtest dot net and verizon's test sites(they test to pc and to router) I get a more consistent result. Why is this? below is my last few results. All within one another.

test results.png

Edit: So I did some reading on this site (its been a long time since I have and things have changed). I now understand a little better. Having fiber to the home Id expect better out of Verizon.

Also, I too am a long time verizon customer. Since early 2000's when fios first came to RI. They too did not want to give me the $89.99 for their gigabit service and tv. So I called and said I was moving. I did not pay the early termination fee. On the same day service was to be disconnected I turn new service on in my wife's name. By the way, they wanted to charge me for just gigabit service with only local tv, $155 a month! 

I get pretty consistent speed for much of the day. At times though, I see large variations but they last only a short time. It's not necessarily just your ISP causing the variation because testing over hundreds of miles involves a lot more hardware and software that the ISP doesn't control directly. The ISP though can help sometimes by switching you from one of their channels to another. Not sure about those details, but the ISP is supposed to help you if the issue cause you problems.

My plan max speeds are only 60/5 compared to your much higher speeds. It may be more likely that more variation occurs on your higher speeds just because it's harder to maintain that on today's internet.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:32 PM, Chais82 said:

I noticed this. I assumed it was too fast for testmy.net or just my pc and its hardware slowing the results down due to the way testmy.net does its test.

TestMy has tons of bandwidth. I remember the owner telling someone it would handle many times more than the highest peak load  of users he's ever seen.

im not a PC guy, so I couldn't tell you if the computer or browser you have has any impact.

6 hours ago, Pgoodwin1 said:

TestMy has tons of bandwidth. I remember the owner telling someone it would handle many times more than the highest peak load  of users he's ever seen.

im not a PC guy, so I couldn't tell you if the computer or browser you have has any impact.

So after looking around and doing some research Ive figured out my issue on consistency. Well not exactly. But I went ahead and refreshed my windows with a new install. I am now seeing a more steady stream of data input/output. Another issue I was having is my upload would not reach above 500Mpbs using Ookla or Verizons speedtest. This went away with the fresh windows as well.

Now as far as the speed results I get here at Testmy.net... I've concluded that I (or anyone for that matter) do not reach my advertised speeds do to internet congestion outside Verizon's  network. So my one pc will never get true gigabit connection with another client. But my house as a whole with multiple devices and connections could theoretically come close to the bandwidth I'm paying for. This being because its not retrieving data from one source. But rather multiple sources all over in different locations. Now I know there is much more to this. And a lot more technical. But what are your thoughts? Am I understanding this right?

I highly recommend thoroughly testing across the mirrors and multithread for more comprehensive conclusion.

Being so heavily invested in only testing to that NY server could give you unrealistic numbers.  If they're backed up by more results other servers it's better and even better if that's also backed up by multiple devices/computers on the same network.

Despite the lack of additional data I'd like to see, I think you're right.  Especially since you've proven over 400-600 Mbps on occasion.

15 hours ago, Pgoodwin1 said:

Even the best bandwidth is not perfect.  No such thing, that's why we test.  Don't ever forget, the same is true on my end.  I'm picky with my providers and I put them under heavy scrutiny but networks can and do become congested on both ends.  On my end, I keep only the best performers.  Providers that don't make the grade are dropped before the public even knows I was thinking about looking into the company.  Only providers who consistently make the grade across key areas are allowed to maintain here.  By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, all of TMN's testing servers are consumer grade, 1000 Mbps.  The servers are constantly monitored... if one locale requires more bandwidth, more servers are brought online automatically.  All with 1000 Mbps connections.  You're always going to have resources here.  As soon as 10+ Gbps becomes more of a standard, TMN will have it server-side across the network.  Some of my servers are already connected well above 1000 Mbps, I just don't advertise it until it's across the entire network.  Funny thing is, the people I buy them from don't advertise them that fast either.  Probably for the same reason as TMN.

Just because I have mad bandwidth doesn't mean that it can necessarily all be utilized at any time, I probably have a better chance than many average consumers but still, it's not perfect.  The day it's prefect is the day I'm out of business. ;)  --- and truthfully if it betters our Internet, I'm all for it.

If I had your results I'd see the 400-600+ Mbps and wonder if those moments were my true baseline.  If that's true, everything else is subpar.  If you hadn't seen those speeds then you might be able to say that maybe your computer or network were incapable.  Can't really say that after seeing those numbers... and it's was in a large string of tests.  You were pretty damn capable when those tests happened.

At any rate, in my opinion your speed is pretty awesome.  You pay $90 for all 3 services?  At those speeds!  Dude.  Lucky.   --- although, that doesn't excuse false advertising.

Again, it's best to test across more servers and multithread before drawing a complete conclusion.  I'd never blame my ISP until checking those boxes.  Keep in mind, TMN is hosted across many networks, it would be extremely odd if they all happened to fail or be degraded simultaneously.  If they perform similarly across many servers, it's probably your ISP, network or computer to blame.

It's gets even more complicated when you factor in that some routes to some servers can become congested while others to the same server at the same moment, aren't.  What most often matters is who your provider is peering with and who my providers are peering with.  If those coincide we're going to have a better chance of making that GREAT connection that we wish would always happen. 

:TMN: :headbang:

Finally saw the video to this song.  What the...  lol

@CA3LE Thank you for taking the time to explain to me. I cant explain why, but this stuff intrigues me. Ive been on here since fios first came to RI. I think the package was 30/5 at the time. Tech was amazed at the speed and didn't understand why I needed it. To be honest, I really didn't. Its just fun pushing the newest and best to its limits. Anyways, I will keep testing on the different servers like you suggested. I'm curious now the outcome.

• CA3LE locked this topic